Used 2000 Toyota Camry LE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Most Helpful|
Sad it's Dying
By shanny720

2000 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

My grandma talked me into buying a used 2000 Camry LE from a sporty car that I had been eying. It was the best decision made. It had 40,000 at purchase (2004) and how has 162,000. It has been reliable driving through MN snowstorms and flash floods. In fact, I've made it through snow where bigger vehicles had gotten stuck, and "puddles" where bigger vehicles had flooded. Few problems. The only reason why it's dying now is because I didn't change the oil every 3,000 miles. VERY important to keep up on the oil changes with this car!! I was hoping to keep it around for another few years. Make sure to also use Toyota parts.

Favorite Features

The LE has a lot to offer. Upgrades are wonderful. LOVE the factory sound system. Power seats are amazing. Very durable and reliable vehicle as long as you keep up with the regular oil changes. Wonderful gas mileage. I was able to get appx 38 mpg in the perfect conditions. Love this car. I am also very short, but felt like I had awesome control of the car and good view of the road. Very very sad I didn't take better care of it. Lesson learned. :-(

Suggested Improvements

Wish I had gotten the V6. Power is lacking. Can get uncomfortable on longer drives. Has a bad drivers side blind spot. Drivers side door handle came off. Discovered this is a defect of the car.

Most Reliable Car I've Ever Owned
By topspin456

2000 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I got my Camry when it had 90,000 miles on it and have put 70,000 miles on it in the past 4 years. During this time I have had no expensive issues. I just got new tires last summer and will likely need to replace the brakes soon for the first time. About 5,000 miles ago the driver's side door handle came off, which I guess is pretty common with this year of Camry. It's a pretty simple fix that you can look up on youtube though. My dad had a 95 Camry that he traded in at 290,000 miles and when he drove his new Impala off the lot he missed the smooth ride of his Camry. Toyota's are just well made. #1 in reliability in my opinion.

Favorite Features

Reliability, smooth ride, surprisingly good stereo sound in the LE, still gets 29 mpg highway.

Suggested Improvements

A little more pick up in the engine. When passing you better give yourself plenty of room.

BEST car ever
By hellosunshyine

2000 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I'm sad to say mine is gone, I rolled it while driving the canyon, both me and my sister came out fine. Whoever did it's safety tests did it right. Got GREAT gas mileage and had no problems! I would definitely get another camry.

Favorite Features

Sun roof

4 years in LA traffic...
By hermesc

2000 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for almost 11 years (bought it brand new) and drove it for 4 years in stop and go traffic in LA before moving out of California. It's a great vehicle, very reliable, comfortable, and good gas mileage. Even at almost 170k miles, not much to complain about. I make sure to take it in regularly for it's maintenance at a certified Toyota dealership (it's well worth the slightly higher prices). Hoping to keep the car well past 250k, and there are no signs suggesting otherwise.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, gas mileage, quiet interior, pretty good sound system for the price.

Suggested Improvements

Wish the wheelcaps didn't fall off. That seems to be a common problem with a lot of camrys of this model.

Reliable, and fun!
By tyylerr

2000 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought my camry new in 1999. It has been the most reliable car I have owned. It replaced my 1996 Lexus ES, and had better options, and was more comfortable. I've changed the oil every 3,000 miles, which is just about every month for me, I'm a. The 2.2i4 has almost as much power as my Lexus had! I've been in 2 accidents, only damage was to the front corner, and was cheap to fix. Replaced the timing belt, both ignition coils, and 2 oxygen sensors, and it still runs like new! 278,823 miles and counting! I plan on buying a new camry this week, deffinately keeping this one for my sons first car!

Suggested Improvements

Could do better with the wood trim, all of it has pealed off. Looks fine without it, but it only lasted about 5 years.