2000 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
Family hauler for 13 years, still going strong
By bond_fanatic18 on 05/17/13 19:49 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

My parents' third Camry and our family hauler for 12 years until my dad bought a Honda CR-V last July. Our Camry has been all over Eastern North America including the Maritimes (PEI, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia). I learned how to drive on this car and my mother drove it to work for several years. Never any problems, except a small rattle that started 2 years ago, goes away when the engine warms up. This thing is a tank! It has 144K (about 89,000 American miles I think) and still has tons of life left in it, barely any rust. I drove it to high school and as a high school (university now) student I love it, fantastic first car, will last forever, is a beast in the snow, and reliable as hell.

Camry CE
By epicmau5 on 10/15/11 19:42 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

Very reliable as a starter car, I got this to go to college. It had 77k on it when I received it. Now it has around 81k after two years. I did, however, run into a couple problems. One was the check engine light, and the other was the alternator dying on me. The engine was free as it was well within the 30-day guarantee, but the alternator was $200 and self-repaired. Since mine had a starter on it, I cannot use it if I park the car in the winter for more than a few days, otherwise it would start then quit. I live in Michigan, and temperatures can go down to -8 F. Driving is great and very comfortable. Very fuel efficient as I fill up every month, despite driving 4 days a week to school.

Loyal Toyota Owner
By Linda on 03/19/10 21:07 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

My Toyota Camry has required absolutely no repairs, other than regular maintenance, until now at nearly 170,000. How many other car manufacturers can boast that type of reliability. The transmission finally went out. I replaced it with a wrecked model's low mileage transmission and she's running like new again. Engine light has been on for nearly 6 years now without any problems. Looking forward to driving her until she reaches 300,000 miles. Then I'll be buying another Toyota Camry!

10 years old and still running strong...
By Ben on 03/09/10 04:23 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

I've been having my 2000 Camry since 2005, before that my aunt owned it. she had regularly scheduled maintenance ever 3,000 mi as have I with minimal maintenance. It's easy to work on and drives smoothly @ 148,000 mi. Added short ram to it and have only changed out the radiator plugs and wires, and replaced gasket seals on the valve head and oil pan and door handles. other than that its an Awesome responsive ride.

Transmision
By T.K. on 01/10/10 21:53 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used in 2004 because of it's reputation. It's been very reliable, only wearable parts needed to be replaced. Although when I first got it, I was spending a small fortune trying to keep the check engine off, just learned to live with it (they really need to fix their sensors). For 5 years it has been a good daily commuter, until last week when the transmission went out, which will cost $3000 to replace. It's a lot of money for a car with 135K. I was planing on driving this car for at least another 50K, most cars now a days will run at least 150K.

Great car
By Bruce on 03/12/09 14:05 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

This car was brand new on a three yr rental by me in 2000, then purchased at the end of the rental in 2003. What better way to buy when you like the car and know the exact maintenance history? It is now 2009 and the vehicle has 117,000 and the engine is still purring along and the body is still in great shape, rides/handles great and has been very reliable. Only negative is the factory radio. It is very expensive to replace or repair. Overall it has been a great car and I would buy another Toyota.

Wonderful Car!
By George H on 07/08/08 20:15 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

Bought my Camry new in 2002, and have had a great experience! With 164,000 miles, I still have only changed timing belt & water pump. Have done all my own maintenance, and gas mileage has gone up since new, to trip average of 35 mpg/70 mph. I love to drive the car, it's wonderfully quiet, handles perfectly, supple ride, my only request would be better seats, longer leg support, and adjustable rake. What a fantastic car!

Good Car
By Gabriel on 04/02/08 12:44 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

My dad passed his 2000 Camry down to me, and the whole time we have owned it there have been no problems outside normal maintenance. It now has 144,000 miles with the 2.2l 4 and runs perfectly, never has issues starting. It gets good mileage even when driven hard. it also has a great interior that still looks like new. The 4 cylinder offers adequate power for most driving but lacks low end and passing power. Also has surprising grip in the snow and though the handling isn't sharp its very safe. Overall its a great car, giving you the reliability and fuel economy of a much smaller car with the comfort of a much larger car.

Great car!!!
By Pete on 12/30/07 04:31 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

Bought mine new in 2000 and have had a no major problems with this car. After 7 years still runs smooth for a 4 cylinder. Love the power and reliability and performance. Great with gas mileage.

good reliable car
By schwab on 11/15/07 12:38 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

bought mine used in 2002 and have now 98000 miles only replaced battery and brake pads and tires nothing ever goes wrong with this car . it is a great relaible car excellent gas millage and no need for a mechanic ever ....