Used 2000 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

325,000 Miles and still going strong
By Paul

2000 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this Toyota Camry new from the dealer. I have never had any issues with this Camry. I have only had to do the recommend maintenance, and now with over 325,000 miles on it it is still running as strong as the day I bought it no oil leaks it is the best investment I ever made I will keep this car until it no longer runs and at the rate it is going I will expire before it does, best car ever built.

Most Reliable Car I've Ever Owned
By topspin456

2000 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I got my Camry when it had 90,000 miles on it and have put 70,000 miles on it in the past 4 years. During this time I have had no expensive issues. I just got new tires last summer and will likely need to replace the brakes soon for the first time. About 5,000 miles ago the driver's side door handle came off, which I guess is pretty common with this year of Camry. It's a pretty simple fix that you can look up on youtube though. My dad had a 95 Camry that he traded in at 290,000 miles and when he drove his new Impala off the lot he missed the smooth ride of his Camry. Toyota's are just well made. #1 in reliability in my opinion.

Reliability, smooth ride, surprisingly good stereo sound in the LE, still gets 29 mpg highway.

A little more pick up in the engine. When passing you better give yourself plenty of room.

BEST car ever
By hellosunshyine

2000 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I'm sad to say mine is gone, I rolled it while driving the canyon, both me and my sister came out fine. Whoever did it's safety tests did it right. Got GREAT gas mileage and had no problems! I would definitely get another camry.

Sun roof

Best generation of Camry, in my opinion
By loneranger07

2000 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

Always liked this generation the most, later they declined in build quality and too many electronic refinements: drive-by-wire throttle, automatic climate control. Also they stopped offering V6 with stick. Mine has leather, alloy wheels, sunroof. Bought used in 2009 with 64,000 miles for around $7500, probably could have negotiated dealer down but really wanted this car because of rarity. And besides regular maintenance and some worn out parts: suspension springs, clutch, and evap. charcoal canister, have had no unexpected issues. Engine is one of the best Toyota has ever made, great compromise between power and fuel economy. We have 123,000 now, happy that we bought it. K&N air filter too

Smooth V-6 power, 5-speed manual transmission, spacious interior with 4 occupants or less, cushy ride, fairly quiet on highway, sunroof.

Everything has been great, nothing has gone wrong or been unsatisfactory with realistic expectations for a high-mile used car over ten years old, even with typical high Toyota quality. Have barely needed to throw any money at it to maintain, and probably only replaced clutch because multiple people learned to drive stick on it and we also don't drive it gently because we love the power and control with the five-speed. Its not like it has a racing clutch and tranny, haha.

Family hauler for 13 years, still going strong
By bond_fanatic18

2000 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

My parents' third Camry and our family hauler for 12 years until my dad bought a Honda CR-V last July. Our Camry has been all over Eastern North America including the Maritimes (PEI, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia). I learned how to drive on this car and my mother drove it to work for several years. Never any problems, except a small rattle that started 2 years ago, goes away when the engine warms up. This thing is a tank! It has 144K (about 89,000 American miles I think) and still has tons of life left in it, barely any rust. I drove it to high school and as a high school (university now) student I love it, fantastic first car, will last forever, is a beast in the snow, and reliable as hell.

It rides great for a stick shift, the Dolby sound system is AWESOME!!!! It's given us 13 years of loyal, trouble-free service and will last through the harshest winters, always starting even at 40 below. The older Camrys are the best, we tried the new one and like ours better, makes a fantastic family car, very comfortable, we tried the 2000 Accord and found the ride choppier at the time.

We can't figure out what caused the rattle in the engine. It goes away when the engine warms up but it's weird. The best mechanic in the city doesn't even know what it is. It hasn't caused any major problems, just confuses us. Apart from that, no other issues, except headroom for taller people especially in the back isn't great, I'm 6'4 and can't fully sit up straight in it.