What a car....
By beetzmee on
1999 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan
I bought mine back in the Summer of 1999. I owned a 1992 model prior to this. Said another way, I have driven 2 Camry's over the last 19 years. Both were absolutely excellent. I was lucky, this one was built in Japan. The car has been flawless. 137K miles on it now. The AC, Power Windows have never gone down. The original Panasonic Battery lasted 8.5 years. I finally put a starter in it last year at 11.5 years of age. This car, without a doubt, has been the most reliable and competent vehicle I have ever owned, bar none. It's one of those models that if if you can find a clean, well-maintained one. BUY IT. What it lacks in appeal it more than makes up for in reliability.
Favorite Features
Reliable, reliable, reliable......repeat. This car is used in outside sales. I can't get rid of it. It won't quit. It's got it's dings and scratches and the interior is still mint. I have used synthetic since day one. Good advice if you are going to keep it. It's the little things. Daytime lights, great AC, Smooooooth transmission, gas mileage, smoooooth ride, NO headaches. Everything just keeps on running. Better shoulder room than the 1992 model. Decent body styling. Nice size trunk for a basic sedan. Decent pickup for a 4 cylinder of it's time. Easy on tires. Easy on brakes. Easy to get to everything in the engine. Straight forward design.
Suggested Improvements
It would have been nice if the headroom had been slightly better. Also, the hip room could have used another inch or two. The 4 cylinder has probably been refined now to where it has more than adequate power. However, the one I have has been fine if 1 or 2 people are in the car and I run this car. I keep up the maintenance but, I do work it. I am hoping that my next Camry (yes, I am going to buy yet, another one) will be even better. My son is now going to take this one to College. The family has agreed that we are going to try and get a full 20 years out of this auto. Based on the way it is running, I bet we get it. How many cars do you know can do that?