Used 1999 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Low cost, low maintenance
By Jean

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I always keep my cars 100k and longer. This is the first Toyota I've bought and the first time to own a car that is low cost to maintain. Very little goes wrong. With the energy crunch, I've lowered my speed to 60-65 and my mileage has gone from 30mpg on the hwy to 35mpg hwy. It has always maintained 24-25mpg in town. My only complaints are: the headlights; I've changed the relay a few times but their light intensity is still weak; 2. Seating comfort: I'm tall and thin and I feel like I'm sitting on a park bench. Compared to an American car, the comfort level is inferior. Maybe the newer models are better with this. The low maint. and repair cost outweigh this issue.

Favorite Features

low repair demands; high fuel efficiency

Suggested Improvements

Make seating more comfortable; improve headlights; make steering easier; raise undercarriage - I often hit speed bumps even when crawling over them.

Camry lives up to reputation
By joe

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

This car runs better now than when it had 20,000 miles. It held its value and I am always being asked if I want to sell it and I can't let it go yet anyway. Great bang for the buck especially in this economy. Buy one you'll love it; this 4 cylinder blows away many American 4 and 6 cyl of the same year. You wont regret it.

Favorite Features

comfort at high speeds, gas mileage, it's a Toyota

Suggested Improvements

Body style could be more aggressive but it's better looking than the replacement that came in 2002.

My experience: it is a junk car
By Jason

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought Toyota Camry in 1999. It ran ok in the first 5 years. Then I had to fix it at least twice a year (not including service or oil change). In average I spent $1500 on repair each year. I only drove 11000 miles and have changed most of stuff in the car already. Finally, I decided to sell this car. I really should have sold it earlier. I will never buy from Toyota anymore.

Excellent Car
By Mountainview

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Gave to our son 2 years ago for College use. Gave another 1999 Camry XLE car to our daughter. Both have very low maintenance, 28 Hwy mpg, 24 city 4-cyl. Very reliable. Only issue with both cars is the low exhaust pipe clearance over the bumps. Suspension system had to be changed in about 2006.

Favorite Features

Mileage, reliability and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Increase the ground clearance of the exhaust system & increase the stiffness of suspension system so you get a little sportier ride and the system lasts longer (hopefully).

Very reliable car
By Dasha

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in 1999. It was new. Since then I just once changed brakes and two times the battery, of course tires. That's it! I love my car. I'll give it to my daughter when she gets her driver license in October and feel she's in a good "hands".

Favorite Features

It's fast, easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

I would like the inside more fancy.