Used 1999 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

80K mi with a Camry 5 sp 2.2L
By Ted

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I just traded the Camry I've had for 8 years on a Lexus and cried when I said goodbye to it. I averaged 29mpg in 50/50 city/hwy driving and hit 33mpg on flat hwy. Incredibly reliable. The body style w/ spoiler and alloys still looks fresh. Interior was roomy and well designed. There's a lot to this major-model Camry has been cost-reduced out of the newer ones. If you're on a budget and need stylish, reliable, spacious transportation, find a well-maintained 98-02 Camry.

Reliability, ease of do-it-yourself maintenance, roominess, exterior and interior styling, MPG...

None.

Best car ever
By stacey

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

We got it as a used rental car in late 1999 and have driven it to death ever since. It now has almost 150000 miles and we've never had a big problem. We change oil regularly. Only repairs were the right window motor and we did all the belts etc. My husband drives it daily around 50-60 miles. We will drive it til it drops.

Reliable!!! good pickup on the speed.

Back seat legroom

Not to die for
By Vern

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I loved my beat up old ride . 100k It never let me down . I bought it with dents on all sides,front & back . Mechanically it worked well .tranny & engine are well matched . I lent it to My son the 2nd time he had ever driven it & had a head on collision with it .Didn't understand front wheel drive vs rear wheel technology . Its a paperweight now but no one was hurt Thank God . All the doors still shut & work perfectly . but there engine is shoved all the way into the fire wall . A lesser car would have resulted in several fatalities . God bless air bags & Japanese automobiles

Air Bags ,smooth ride ,good visibility

never figured out how to cut the head lights off .

A smooth ride
By hanstheman

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about a year ago and it clocked less than 50,000 miles when i first got it. The ride is very smooth and overall very pleased with the reliability of the car, it almost never gives me trouble (not yet, at least!). Good mileage, i get a combined city/town/highway of about 25 mpg.

Smooth, quite ride (except on the highway). Good mileage, very fun to drive.

Acceleration on hills and going up hills is a problem because the transmission won't rev the RPMs high enough to give to car more power to go up a hill.

Great car
By Toyota and Nissan

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Great car. I bought it when it had 168000 miles on it and ran great. I did get new spark plugs, short ram intake and a strut bar, to improve the performance a little. The car never broke down, i had no problems with it. Now it has 192000 miles. It does have a 18gallon gas tank which i found to be a bit too big. but its okay. Now i drive a 350z Overall upgrade from the 99 camry. but the camry did very well the last 2 years.

Roomy, simple interior. Reliability. And runs like new after 192000 miles!

strut bar is highly recommended! the cars suspension is really soft. great for long trips but on corners it really rolls. v6 model should have more power, which i was hoping the 4 cylinder could have had a bit more of.