1999 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews 3

1999 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
Lies, lies and more lies
By Todd on 06/10/10 07:42 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

2nd owner, 1st had to replace engine due to oil sludge problem. 65k on new engine and its sludging up again. 3.0 Toyota engine is worse than an old jag V6 and is part of a settled class action lawsuit (to late for me though), terrible fuel mileage, boring styling, coma inducing character. Only thing it does well is blow really cold air. Toyota's PR people should win an academy award or run for congress with the acting and lies to consumers about Toyota build quality.

Reliability went down fast
By x2dmax on 05/15/10 21:47 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

For the first 4 years of ownership the Camry seemed to hold up well. On the fifth year, things started to fall apart. The rubberized door handle started to separate from the door switch module. Then the radio went out. Then the car started to smoke when starting up in the morning. This was probably due to the slug problem. The oil was changed regularly at 4000 too. Then the metal clip on the gas door broke, keeping the door from opening. Finally the clearcoat on the hood started to chip off. This after doing regular washing and waxing. What did hold up well was the material on the seats and the had no rattles. But that wasn't enough to keep it for another year.

Will it make it to 300K
By chambers on 04/25/10 11:50 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Purchsed from a friend in 2002 with 90k miles on it. I just turned 222k. 2 timing belts, 1 water pump (easy change when doing timing belt so did it just to be safe), 1 tune up, new struts, few sets of brakes and tires, that is it. I can't kill this Camry no matter how hard I try. Is it boaring, yes. Is it slow, yes. Is it the most reliable car I have ever owned...hands down. IF you are looking for a car for your teenaged kids, look no farther. As much as I would like to move on, I am determined to drive the Camry until something major goes wrong with it. My luck I will be writting another update in 2 years when I have 270k on it. GM, take notes, this is how a car should be built!!!

80K mi with a Camry 5 sp 2.2L
By Ted on 02/07/10 09:04 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

I just traded the Camry I've had for 8 years on a Lexus and cried when I said goodbye to it. I averaged 29mpg in 50/50 city/hwy driving and hit 33mpg on flat hwy. Incredibly reliable. The body style w/ spoiler and alloys still looks fresh. Interior was roomy and well designed. There's a lot to this major-model Camry has been cost-reduced out of the newer ones. If you're on a budget and need stylish, reliable, spacious transportation, find a well-maintained 98-02 Camry.

Best car ever
By stacey on 02/01/10 05:59 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

We got it as a used rental car in late 1999 and have driven it to death ever since. It now has almost 150000 miles and we've never had a big problem. We change oil regularly. Only repairs were the right window motor and we did all the belts etc. My husband drives it daily around 50-60 miles. We will drive it til it drops.

Not to die for
By Vern on 01/14/10 20:07 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I loved my beat up old ride . 100k It never let me down . I bought it with dents on all sides,front & back . Mechanically it worked well .tranny & engine are well matched . I lent it to My son the 2nd time he had ever driven it & had a head on collision with it .Didn't understand front wheel drive vs rear wheel technology . Its a paperweight now but no one was hurt Thank God . All the doors still shut & work perfectly . but there engine is shoved all the way into the fire wall . A lesser car would have resulted in several fatalities . God bless air bags & Japanese automobiles

A smooth ride
By hanstheman on 01/03/10 19:54 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about a year ago and it clocked less than 50,000 miles when i first got it. The ride is very smooth and overall very pleased with the reliability of the car, it almost never gives me trouble (not yet, at least!). Good mileage, i get a combined city/town/highway of about 25 mpg.

Great car
By Toyota and Nissan on 01/01/10 22:31 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Great car. I bought it when it had 168000 miles on it and ran great. I did get new spark plugs, short ram intake and a strut bar, to improve the performance a little. The car never broke down, i had no problems with it. Now it has 192000 miles. It does have a 18gallon gas tank which i found to be a bit too big. but its okay. Now i drive a 350z Overall upgrade from the 99 camry. but the camry did very well the last 2 years.

Awesome Car
By Angelica on 12/30/09 00:13 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

I absolutely love this car! I waited a year before I decided to post a review, because I wanted to be sure my opinion was reliable. For one, this car has never given me ANY problems except for having to get a new battery about a month after I purchased it...which was mostly the dealership's fault for having an old recharged one in the car. The only thing I've replaced is the tires...never stalls, idles and drives smoother than my mother's 2005 Saturn ....I love this car and when I am ready to trade it in, it will definitely be for another Camry!

Great Car
By Bob Mcgraw on 11/04/09 06:39 AM (PST)

1999 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Bought new in 1999. I have replaced only parts that I expect to. Belts, hoses tires etc. It has never failed to start. Safe, secure and keeps its value. I liked it so much I bought a 2006 Camry last year.