Used 1999 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

1999 Camry CE 286K
By smprescott2010

1999 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

I have a 1999 4cyl CE that now has 286K and runs very well. Recently replaced the timing belt and gaskets as it started leaking pretty bad. I recently drove it from Wisconsin to California and back with no problems. Toyota did a great job with this vehicle!

Overall a great car
By robertmang

1999 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in '06 when I was still in high school, with about 89,000 miles on it. 5 years later and it has 185,000 with no signs of stopping. There have been a couple repairs I have had to do including a costly sensor replacement at the dealership which ran about $1,300. That was back in '09. Then earlier this year, the car wouldn't start and I needed to buy a new air compressor at about $300...All in all a reliable vehicle that has not needed any other major services. The V6 has plenty of power for everyday driving (which here in SW Florida can be both fast-paced and aggravating) and I don't see any reason why this car won't make it to 200k and beyond.

Capable V6, Power moonroof and driver's seat, paint held up great over the years, and except for a couple isolated incidents has been very reliable!

MPG could be better for the car's size...I drive a lot of highway miles but still average about 21, 22MPG if I'm lucky. I used to use the tape player so I could play my iPod in the car but the tape deck no longer functions. Squeaking brakes from time to time even with newer pads, although it isn't a major issue. Ride is rather 'floaty' which is especially noticeable on the highway.

1999 - Original Owner and still going and going and going....
By clongstreet

1999 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

This is the second Camry I have had in 19 years. The first was a 1992 LE 4 cylinder (remember those?). Anyway, I liked it so much for work (outside sales) that I bought a new one in 1999. I have driven it ever since. It now has 140,700 miles on it with NO signs of giving up. I am in outside sales and believe me, I drive it. Despite it now has it's slight dings and scratches the paint is still beautiful after all these years. It runs smoooooooth as can be thanks in part to using 5-30 Mobile 1 since day one...not a drop burns, not drip anywhere. Mechanically, this thing has run like a top for 12 years and counting. No major repairs.

Reliability. Starter finally went after 11 years. I'm fine with that. I have yet to lose a power window (does help if you clean the edges now and again folks), AC has never gone down and I live in the South so believe me, I use it. Finish: This one was made in Japan. Shame they still don't make them there. Beautiful paint. Metallic Oak I think they called it. Automatic: No issues Quiet: I'm in outside sales, this matters. Cruise: Predictable and reliable. Just like the whole car. Interior layout: Sensible. Everything is where you would expect it to be.

For this year, the only gripe one could have made was the lack of power but, for one in the car 99% of the time, it's fine. It's good enough. Road noise could have been tweaked even a bit more but, I have driven the 2011 and it is as quiet as one could hope for. I can't really complain. I paid 17 plust tax, title, and tag and never saw that dealer again. I have more than gotten my money's worth. And get this, someone recently offered me 4,700 for it and I turned it down!!! I can't find anything like this for the money and I don't want a new payment. No thanks, I'll just keep driving this until it implodes. Until then, thanks Toyota for making a quality product! Again.

Excellent runner
By silvansilvan

1999 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I have 197,000 and it is still going strong. I had to have the EGR valve replaced and other than that, it has been great.

Good all round functional family vehicle.
By francho

1999 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Decent Japanese built vehicle which does everything a family requires from a vehicle well. Doesn't really impress me greatly in any aspect but never seems to disappoint either. I just purchased it with low miles 60k and it gets real world 28/23 mpg hwy/city. Not too impressive highway mileage but great city economy for a vehicle it's size. Driver's seat not really up to American comfort standards. 2.2l 4 cyl. lacks a little power off the line but has plenty for uphill pulls on the highway.

Excellent city driving fuel economy. Good resale value. Steering wheel resistance is like a dream. Very smooth engine/transmission combination. Above average quality stock Cd sound system.

Not looking forward to replacing timing belt at 90k. This is an expensive hidden cost to owning a lot of Toyotas no one seems to make much of. Most other manufacturers use timing gears that need no replacing.