Used 1999 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 171 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Great Car
By kwc1987

1999 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

The 99 Toyota Camry is a great car for me so far. I have had no problems with it. The car rides very nice and I think it will last me through college. The only problem I have is the suspension is noisy when it goes over rough bumps. I am 6'4 and I really feel comfortable because the seat adjusts back/forth and up/down. It's a great car and I have read great reviews on this car!

I can adjust the seat anyway I want it so I can fit comfortably in the car.

The suspension make noises when you go over rough surfaces but with the radio up you can't hear it.

1999 Camry endless problems
By Alex

1999 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this certified car in Dec. 2002. At the beginning it was good. After I had problems with leaking water pump, transmission problems and last huge problem it start lose engine oil. Dealer made some repairs, but it was getting worse and worse. Last time 2 months ago oil level was below lower mark after 1000 miles!!! Dealer hold car for a week, replaced rings, recondition the engine head, bearings etc. Now, after 250 miles it lose 30% of oil. So, I need to go to dealer again.

Quiet running

Improve reliability.

Toyota Camry - A GREAT BUY
By Joel

1999 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I've had my Camry approximately 3 1/2 years and it's the best car I've ever had. If you want reliability, its there. If you want extras, it's not bad. If you want comfort, it does the job pretty well. If you want performance, it can handle pretty well. For economy, it is pretty good. The value retension seems to be good. All around, this car is a pretty solid buy! I know what my next car will be. Another Toyota.

I enjoy my sunroof. The window antenna is nice for car washes. The electric seating and stearing tilt are pretty good for driving comfort. The cup holders are definately a "nice clothes" saver.

The steering wheel is a little cumberson when trying to see the RPM gauge. That could be changed. Seats could stand to be a little more soft.

Solid car
By Tiemen

1999 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

Having owned nothing but Japanese, I had high expectations from this Camry. It definitely hasn't let me down in mechanical quality, but I can tell the quality of some interior features and window moldings, weather strips, and other plastic/rubber parts are inferior to Honda and Mazda. But it is definitely more comfortable and quiet, so it's a trade-off. If yours failed on you, it's human error. Don't take care of it and like any car, it will perish. (it just takes longer to kill it than a Detroit product)

Quiet ride, smooth tranny, great mpg, reliability, sleek appearance.

Better window frames and weather strips, sturdier consoles, and more stylish interior design. Hybrid version.

not a driver's car
By chris

1999 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

If you like driving, as I do, this is not a car for you. No throttle response, no steering feel, terrible (soft) suspension. Makes me ask "Am I actually driving." I take corners at 40-50 mph, and still no thrill. This is a boring car. Only consider it if you absolutely hate driving or do not like cars at all. If you like driving, or think a car should be responsive and a little sporty, go for the Accord.

BETTER HANDLING...SPORTIER SUSPENSION, the new "SE" model is not an improvement