Used 1999 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Very Reliable Car
By Tim

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 6 years ago. It had about 10,000 miles on it when I purchased it. I have driven this car over 100,000 miles and it still runs like new car. I had to replace the exhaust pipe once and had some repair done on the shockers which cost me about 600 dollars.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior, runs smoothly, very reliable

Suggested Improvements

Make the exterior more stylish.

A little Disappointed
By Blossom

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

This is my 2nd Camry. I got almost 300K on my previous model before I had any major problems at all. The transmission had trouble. Unfortunately this one is not fairing as well. The vehicle is well maintained and serviced, but at 188,000 I've had to replace transmission seals, gaskets,and there is an engine oil leak the continues to come back and now the power steering rack is leaking. It's starting to get very sluggish, too. I would still purchase another Camry, but this one has been disappointing.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Despite the problems, it has never let me down or stranded me.

Suggested Improvements

Better Transmission and more horsepower in the 4-cylinder models

Great Car
By kwc1987

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

The 99 Toyota Camry is a great car for me so far. I have had no problems with it. The car rides very nice and I think it will last me through college. The only problem I have is the suspension is noisy when it goes over rough bumps. I am 6'4 and I really feel comfortable because the seat adjusts back/forth and up/down. It's a great car and I have read great reviews on this car!

Favorite Features

I can adjust the seat anyway I want it so I can fit comfortably in the car.

Suggested Improvements

The suspension make noises when you go over rough surfaces but with the radio up you can't hear it.

1999 Camry endless problems
By Alex

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this certified car in Dec. 2002. At the beginning it was good. After I had problems with leaking water pump, transmission problems and last huge problem it start lose engine oil. Dealer made some repairs, but it was getting worse and worse. Last time 2 months ago oil level was below lower mark after 1000 miles!!! Dealer hold car for a week, replaced rings, recondition the engine head, bearings etc. Now, after 250 miles it lose 30% of oil. So, I need to go to dealer again.

Favorite Features

Quiet running

Suggested Improvements

Improve reliability.

Toyota Camry - A GREAT BUY
By Joel

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I've had my Camry approximately 3 1/2 years and it's the best car I've ever had. If you want reliability, its there. If you want extras, it's not bad. If you want comfort, it does the job pretty well. If you want performance, it can handle pretty well. For economy, it is pretty good. The value retension seems to be good. All around, this car is a pretty solid buy! I know what my next car will be. Another Toyota.

Favorite Features

I enjoy my sunroof. The window antenna is nice for car washes. The electric seating and stearing tilt are pretty good for driving comfort. The cup holders are definately a "nice clothes" saver.

Suggested Improvements

The steering wheel is a little cumberson when trying to see the RPM gauge. That could be changed. Seats could stand to be a little more soft.