Used 1999 Toyota Camry XLE V6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Boring & wonderful
By 1999camry

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I stumbled upon my 1999 v6 American Edition Camry in early 2007 with 88k. Previous to that I had never considered a Toyota, but the deal was right. Since then I have put 110k of my own miles on it. It has seen me through college, marriage and the birth of our two kids. Since day one, I have considered it the most boring-looking car I have ever set eyes on, and my wife refers to me as "grandpa" when I'm in it. Looks notwithstanding, I LOVE my Camry. The v6 is enough to keep driving interesting and the reliability can't be beat. The mph is acceptable: I get 26 mpg no matter what I do. Highway, city, petal to the floor, or with my wife and kids in the car: 26 mpg.

Favorite Features

Reliability, quality, low cost of ownership. V6 engine, I fear the 4cylinder would elevate the boredom factor to a fatal level, but I speak not from experience. Also performs acceptably well in the moderate winters we experience in central Ohio.

Suggested Improvements

Interior and exterior styling is dreadfully dull. But you don't buy it to look cool... At least I didn't.

Overall a great car
By robertmang

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in '06 when I was still in high school, with about 89,000 miles on it. 5 years later and it has 185,000 with no signs of stopping. There have been a couple repairs I have had to do including a costly sensor replacement at the dealership which ran about $1,300. That was back in '09. Then earlier this year, the car wouldn't start and I needed to buy a new air compressor at about $300...All in all a reliable vehicle that has not needed any other major services. The V6 has plenty of power for everyday driving (which here in SW Florida can be both fast-paced and aggravating) and I don't see any reason why this car won't make it to 200k and beyond.

Favorite Features

Capable V6, Power moonroof and driver's seat, paint held up great over the years, and except for a couple isolated incidents has been very reliable!

Suggested Improvements

MPG could be better for the car's size...I drive a lot of highway miles but still average about 21, 22MPG if I'm lucky. I used to use the tape player so I could play my iPod in the car but the tape deck no longer functions. Squeaking brakes from time to time even with newer pads, although it isn't a major issue. Ride is rather 'floaty' which is especially noticeable on the highway.

Excellent runner
By silvansilvan

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I have 197,000 and it is still going strong. I had to have the EGR valve replaced and other than that, it has been great.

My Pal
By besidesea

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

When I purchased this car in 2002 it had 35,000 mile --I added a rear spoiler and wow! What a dream of a car!! It has style,comfort,great ride and super options. I clean and maintain it regularly--it gets rave compliments by service mechanics and strangers on the street. One mechanic said that it will last forever! I trust the vehicle to take me anywhere and I always admire its handsome style. It makes me a very proud owner as I constantly "check it out" when passing store windows!! My motto,"take good care of your car and your car will take good care of you!!"

Favorite Features

black exterior- tan leather interior- moon roof- driver and passenger power seats sound system- remote entry- comfortable ride- safety features-

Suggested Improvements

city gas mileage could be better-

1999 Toyotat Camry, Great Car!
By Lilnuke

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I have owned the car since it was new in 1998. It has been the most dependable car that I have ever owned. It has never broken down and left me stranded, ever. I make sure the car receives its regular maintenance and replace the belts and tires as needed. The ergonomics of the interior are great with all controls easy to reach. With the V6, I can still manage to get 30 MPG on the highway. All around a great car.

Favorite Features

The V6 has been very peppy even thought the car has over 125,000 miles on the odometer.

Suggested Improvements

The suspension is to soft for even the slightest performance style driving. I should have purchased the optional TRD suspension package.