Used 1999 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews - 171 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Toyota camry the boss
By Paul Hyde

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

My brothers toyota camry is at 345,000 miles and still runs with no major problems. Very little maintenance over the past few years. Did have an engine rebuild at 165,000 miles because of recall. The best car my family has ever owned.

My favorite car of all time
By Shan

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan

Over engineered and over built.
replaced engine and transmission after 230k not due to any failure but for peace of mind. This was mu dream car back when I was in high school and it first came out. I would rebuild it like new if I can find the right parts. Still running strong and reliable at 273k. A real champ.

The Car That Never Dies
By Ash

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

This was my first car and honestly it was great.
The car lasted up to 230,000 miles, and the only reason it died was because I had given it to my irresponsible younger brother who had driven it for 30,000 miles without getting a single oil change... even after that with a huge knock under the hood, it would still start up and drive down the road.
PROS:
1. The transmission was great. The car had no problem going 100 mph... it actually had a better ride going faster.
2. It ALWAYS started. Most reliable car ever.
3. Awesome sound system for a stock radio. My bass bumped better than a custom speaker.
4. It was okay to slack a little on oil changes.
Now for the negatives...
1. Electrical problems. The cigarette lighter stopped working as well as one of the power outlets. It was not a blown fuse either, they just stopped working for no rhyme or reason.
2. CD player would skip when hitting the brakes or taking a right turn.
3. The cassette player would spit a tape out when the car was cold. No problems once it started heating up.
4. Easily weighed down/bottoms out. Fitting five people in the car and driving over a small bump would be the scariest thing ever.
5. Constant minor repairs. I've had quite a few with this car out of the six years that I drove it...

Repairs:
1. Struts. I think I replaced them three or four times. I would drive through a massive pothole and the stuts would be fine... but then one day out of random, they'd be s***.
2. Replaced the timing belt at 180k. It was previously replaced at 90k.
3. EXHAUST. I forget the amount of times I had gotten a random whole in my exhaust pipe. I remember it happening to me very frequently.
4. It had another on&off problem before I had given the car to my brother where I would start it and the RPMS would go very low causing the car to stall out. I have no idea why this happened, but I would give it a few mins and it would be good to go again. It would do this a couple of times every few months or so.

All in all, a really reliable car. I still see them everywhere in 2015 and there is a reason. That car had taken me everywhere and I beat it up... but it always drove.

1999 Camry V6 Auto - keeps running
By tnt12

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

similar to my 1995 Avalon, my Camry has 225k now. Still running strong.

Had 2 1999 Manual V6 Camrys.
By Oleg Dyachuk

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought one with 170k, sold it with 199k, bought another with 192k, sold it with 219k miles. THESE HAVE A HORRIBLE RESALE VALUE, I did not make any money on either of them, probably because not many people want a camry that is manual. But it has great power, 0-60 was 7.4 seconds for me on my first one, my second one was a bit slower because it felt beat on. Topped out the first one at 131 mph but blew a whole in the exhaust doing that lol. Both of mine had 1 common problem, the rear sway bar link bushing go bad and make a horrible clunking sound. Was impossible to change them because the bolts get rusted up and break if you touch them.

Power, manual, extremely reliable.

On my second camry had to replace radiator, full exhaust because of multiple holes, had rust almost everywhere, had to replace 3 wheel bearings, rear caliper locked up, an e-brake link on one side completely broke in half, had engine oil leak from unknown area.