1998 Toyota Camry Consumer Review: I'm a Honda guy, but this car

1998 Toyota Camry - Consumer Review

LE Sedan (2.2L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

I'm a Honda guy, but this car changed the game..
By ajhall on

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Had an Accord before the Camry, and gave my Camry to my fiance to buy another Accord, but I have a higher standard after owning it for four years. 4 years and 90k miles later and this car has required two sets of tires and one set of brakes. No other issues or signs of issues to come. A breeze to own and low cost. The drive is comfortable, but a little numb at times--feeling more electronic then mechanical. Great visibility, and mpg (28 city/hwy mixed and I drive hard..used to V6 cars). The overall quality is bar none, and the sound deadning materials used are supreme. Even as we outgrow this car, we plan to keep it as a spare vehicle because we've always been able to count on it.

Quiet engine and sealed from roadnoise, impeccable reliability, fair exterior style, gas mileage, holds up to wear and tear, low cost to own and maintain

The keyless entry remotes are cheap and break easily with a high replacement cost, the LED lights on the rear wing are also costly to replace--both are issues Toyota has addressed in later models.