1998 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews 9

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
Never Another Toyota
By tg1410 on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I also blew an engine at 107,000 miles. Car was meticulously maintained, all maintenance etc. Took all records with me but to no avail. Neither Toyota nor the dealership (east side Madison, WI) would help, despite TSB's that suggested a problem with oil jelling in the upper engine. I was turned over to the sales staff who generously offered $700 trade-in on another (2003) Camery off the lot as an alternative to $4000 to replace the engine. Another dealer gave me $2300 trade-in, and a fair price on a car that had come in off lease (not a Toyota).

Pretty fair automobile
By carehta on 12/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

From an engineer eyed perspectice, every detail in the car is visibly designed from deploying people needs, no fancy or costmetic things, real needs in comfort and safe aspects. Mechanic design is simple to handle and construction is realiable.

100,000 plus
By toyotafan on 11/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Purchased new, today showing 107,000 miles and doing better than the Energizer bunny. Other than the routine caretaking suggested by the mfg, nothing has failed.. There is no need to apologize for the always in style good design looks. The real excitement shows off as a low cost operating machine that goes and goes. Our fierce south Texas sun has done little to harm its ice cube cold A/C or tough white exterior paint.

blown engine
By karen klein on 11/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

I had 105524 miles on my car and it blew an engine. I understand this is a problem for Toyotas the last few years. Car was well maintained, but went from a 7000. asset to 500. in one day.

98 Camry LE 4-Cyl
By Steve in Ohio on 10/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Usual Toyota good build quality. Car is comfortable and quiet. Engine needs more punch but is surprisingly responsive. Steering is a bit light but car sticks to road on curves. Suspension is tight so that small bumps are felt but car keeps its cool on uneven roads. Interior is bland but seating is comfortable. Trunk is good for small car.

Average In Every Way
By D103 on 08/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Went from a Chrysler (bad transmission) to Toyota because of reliability reputation. Have found it to be slightly above average in reliability, but mostly below average in most other aspects. Namely, exterior design is very bland - sheet metal so thin a fly can dent the hood, aluminum wheels discolor rapidly. The interior is also just average in most respects (this is an XLE). Factor in the relative frequency of service visits (PS - very hard to get appointments, and costly), and all of a sudden I long to own a quality product such as Chrysler again. For the price - NOT A GOOD VALUE.

My Fourth Camry
By Suppo56 on 08/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Have owned an 86,90,93(now owned by daughter w/153K miles) and now a 98.I'm sold on Camry's!!Estimated total mileage on those cars is 400,000+ I could not ask for better reliability.I laugh to myself when I hear the "I buy only American cars!" crowd bemoan the failure of major components after low milege. I've "sold" lots of folks on Camrys. Little known fact, the name comes from the Japanese words Kam Murri meaning "Crown" Bought 98 with 91K miles on it and have driven 25K trouble free miles in a year.

great car
By so it goes on 08/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

purchased car new and have had no problems. 4 cyc. very realiable. comfort on long trips is excellant. it does appear the drvers seat is showing wear with my limited mileage.

Best Car I've Ever Had
By MVGal on 08/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

This car is a dream to drive. It's so reliable, so smooth on the road, so quiet, and the V6 accelerates in and out of traffic like no car I've ever owned. I've never had any problem with it, just do regular maintenance. I love all the XLE features. And it's a black beauty. You think you are driving one of the more expensive cars, but you don't have the sticker shock. All cars should be made this well.

Outstanding all-around family sedan
By hercdrvr on 08/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Outstanding all around car. Unless you really need an SUV, the sedans are an even better value than ever. Seems everybody wants an SUV - hell, even I WANT one - they are very nice. I'm just not willing to spend 30-40K and get 15-18mpg in the process. Not to mention the cost of tires and increased insurance. Great safety features - mine has front side airbag option. Ratings for crash are top-notch. Comfort - awesome. Power - I have 4 banger so I expect a little less but it is surprisingly nimble.