1998 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
Outstanding
By zman2 on 07/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I have had my 98 camry for >6 years. The only problem I had was the water pump went out at 80k miles and took the timing belt with it. My wife started driving the kids around in this car and made me drive her new Jeep Grand Cherokee. She figured I was insured for more.

No More Toyota
By crappyota on 06/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 36000 miles on it. Like most people I wanted something reliable and economic, something I could keep for a very long time. I have done all scheduled maintenance and tuneups. I now find myself, at 64000 miles, replacing the idle control valve for $350 and am dealing with engine noise of unkown origin. To find the noise even the ever helpful dealer said they woud need to "tear down the engine" for $1500, to start. So much for reliable. Honda Chevy here I come!!

one reliable car
By Paul K on 05/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

We had bought this car brand new yet even after about 85000 miles, it seems nearly the same. It is very comfortable and has just the right amount of acceleration. Never had any problems with the car.

my next car will be a toyota
By p.p. on 04/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan

1 battery 1 set of new tires ,new front disc pads. of course new wiper blades & filters. other than that im very happy! I now compare all others to toyota quality.

Toyota is Reliable Despite Quality Issue
By AlmostTRDCamry on 04/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I have owned this Camry for over 5 years. It has served as the most reliable vehicle despite 3 major defects that you wouldn't expect in a Toyota (verified online). 1)Oxygen Sensor 2)Engine Gel 3)ISC Valve Fortunately, these aren't expensive repairs, but persist despite recommended maintenance in the handbook. Despite not being able to start the car reliably, the car will run. Buy again? Not this one, it must've been the worst generation. If you don't like body roll, upgrade the tires to 16" Kumho Ecstas, this is a major handling upgrade. Major pet peeve, this car rides low and scrapes steep driveways.

don't settle for 4 cyl or softness
By thegman on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I needed a car with good gas mileage,is reliable and less than 10k. I prefer cars with some personality and some performance. I installed a set of progressive lowering springs (about 1.2 inches) What a difference and with little compromise to ride quality. Threw in a K&N filter. Well worth 30 some bucks for a couple hp, cooler growl from the motor and improved throttle response. Upgrade to some 215/55/16 all season tires and this car is now looks better handles and brakes better and sounds better on throttle. All for about $1500 bucks. TRD offers a supercharger for about $3500 installed. This car now becomes fast!

1998 Toyota Camry LE
By rlafford on 02/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

We purchased this vehicle, our second Camry, from Hertz after a 1 year rental. The vehicle had 25,000 miles when we purchased it. The only maintenance has been oil, a scheduled timing belt change, transmission service and 2 sets of tires. We just put the second set on. No brake work required and the pads are still in excelent condition. Paint is doing fine with only a yearly waxing. This Camry is well on it's way to joining our first one in the 200,000 mile club. Our 1990 Camry LE wagon is pushing 290,000 miles and still going strong. These things must take lessons from the Energizer Bunny - they keep going, and going, and going....

camry
By homerj on 01/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

This has been an excellent car. I bought it with 49k miles on it and it now has 115k. I have only changed the oil and replaced the battery at 70k. that is the only maintenance performed so far. It consistently gets 35 mpg on the freeway and above 30 in town. It is a 4 cyl/5 speed combo. I wish that all cars were this reliable.

2 Year Owners
By Timothy G on 01/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

We bought our Camry 2 years ago. We have had virtually no problems with the car. It has been very reliable. Still has smooth ride and responsive steering. We have no regrets.

Never Another Toyota
By tg1410 on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I also blew an engine at 107,000 miles. Car was meticulously maintained, all maintenance etc. Took all records with me but to no avail. Neither Toyota nor the dealership (east side Madison, WI) would help, despite TSB's that suggested a problem with oil jelling in the upper engine. I was turned over to the sales staff who generously offered $700 trade-in on another (2003) Camery off the lot as an alternative to $4000 to replace the engine. Another dealer gave me $2300 trade-in, and a fair price on a car that had come in off lease (not a Toyota).