1998 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
Tired of it...
By amitamit on 07/26/05 16:36 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I drive a Camry LE. I am tired of this vehicle. Although it is more reliable than superman its just not enjoyable. There is a significant decrease in speed and acceleration when i turn the a\c on. Little plastic pieces pop right off. And you really have to nail the gas in order to keep up with the flow of traffic. As of this summer i will no longer own another camry as long as i still have a breath in my body. But dont get me wrong it is a reliable car no engine or mechanical problems what so ever. Just a boring vehicle.

Get the V6!!
By Average Joe on 06/24/05 22:06 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought my camry used in 02 with 54k already on it. I've added 40k miles cross country and up and down the East coast. The water pump broke at about 70k miles and took out the timing belt ($400 to repair), but otherwise I've not had any problems. I'd definitely buy the V6 - mine's a 4-cylinder and is fine for regular driving but doesn't have much of any reserves of power when you need it. I find the seats very comfortable and I love the interior layout. The fuel economy is great, too - I can go over 500 miles on one tank on the highway (I've gotten as much as 33 mpg).

200,000 miles & still going!!
By Dinah Fuller on 06/08/05 16:47 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I still have my first car, a 1969 VW Beetle. Our son in Dallas drives it now. This is my second car. I'm a realtor in Tulsa and have put 200,000 miles on my Camry since May 1998. The ONLY problem I've had is the transmission, which I replaced at 180,000 miles. I change oil every 3,000 miles and have her regular check- ups. I'm giving her away and buying a new one.... the gas tank "flap" won't open!! As good a reason as any, I guess.

Disappointed
By chuck drkae on 03/31/05 20:58 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

After 5 yrs I sold it, the paint was terrible, the gold emblems had all peeled, the interior fake wood trim peeled, the seats looked like a 15 yr old car. Then there was the oil sludge problem, decided to unload it before it died. At 20 grand new it wasnt worth it..

fundamentally sound, but...
By W. Green on 02/27/05 11:13 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Boring, but reliable. Disappointed to find a problem with the left turn signal and a significant rattle somewhere in the right front portion of the car. Both defects are chronic for this model and year. No driver's lumbar support. No map lights. Remote does not open trunk.

Just a "Blah" Car...
By LordJoeChi on 02/20/05 11:28 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

We had a 1988 Toyota Camry that ran forever with no problems. This is our second Camry and to be honest, I am a little disappointed. I also had a 1994 Chevrolet Cavalier VL Coupe that had less power and was a "smaller" car yet had better pick-up and a LOT more interior room which for me, is a big deal because I am over 6'5" and the 1998 Camry just doesn't fit me well at all. It's SUPPOSED to have something like 80" of overall room but it doesn't seem to. Also, the seats, well, they are pure CRAP. No support for hips, thighs, back or anything. Yeah, they are soft but after a little while, it feels like sitting on concrete blocks. Otherwise, everything else about the car is just blah.

best of many
By Gurple on 01/07/05 23:37 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 98. My only real gripe with the car is seat comfort, the seat bottoms are too short and I have never fit the car. I guess I should have paid for a power seat, maybe I could have found a comfortable position. Durability has been terrific, 92 thousand miles, orig brakes, only replaced battery, gas cap, tires and tail light bulbs. It has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. The V6 engine has excellent power and is smooth. I'll buy another Toyota, but one that fits me next time.

RELIABLE, ECONOMICAL TRANSPORTATION!!!
By CAMRY ROCKS! on 12/05/04 00:46 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

If you actually READ THE MANUAL, and drive it gently for the 1st 3,000k, this car will be the most reliable car you'll ever own! I bought my camry with 26K miles and it's still going strong @ 88,600!! NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM!! You would be among the people expecting 250K+ miles on regular maintainance without major repairs. (brakes; depending on your braking habits and tires, maybe an o2 sensor) It even went through a 1,400- mile road trip to CANADA!!

Borrowed the car and never returned it!
By kj82703 on 08/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I recently borrowed my sister's camry with 130,000 miles on it and completely fell in love. The next day I went out and purchased a Camry and I am thrilled with my purchase.

1998 camry
By aseawood on 07/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

my exprience with this vehicle have been a pleasure, I purchased this car with hopes that I would not have any problems and I have not.