1998 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
Old Reliable
By Jsmiles on 06/25/06 19:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I've had my Camry for three months now. This is what I call an everyday sedan, from Japan, so-so styling, comfortable interior, safe, good resale value, and reliable. The car meets all of that and more. This car is one of the most comfortable cars I've ever owned, and I've had a newer camry from 2002, and this car handles better than my 2002 camry. It's a normal sedan, not too over the top, and not too boring, it's just a good car to get you from point A to point B. I love this car, and will trade up in a couple of years.

Great in many ways
By me on 05/11/06 21:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Bought it new.. Very reliable car, NEVER had a problem, just brought it in to be serviced as needed and everything was always smooth. With driving every day, but mostly local, I could go 3 weeks before needing more gas. Not a "cool" car but definitely reliable and worth the money... it will last for many miles. After an accident, and the car being totalled, proved to be a safe car to the driver. I would recommend this car.

Could be better
By its ok on 03/25/06 18:43 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

We bought our 1998 Toyota Camry LE with 100,000 miles; currently have 116,000. Have had a couple of sensors replaced, but is mostly reliable. Have never gotten more than 30 MPG. Everything is just average, nothing exciting, in fact it is very boring. Not much room up front, and the cupholders in the back are terrible. Seats are moderately comfy, but the legroom in back is great. Wish there were a button on the remote for the trunk, and the buttons are not labeled for lock/unlock.

Many Problems
By Charlie on 01/27/06 18:10 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 20,000 miles on it. The dash board has a tear, buttons have fallen off the radio and all the interior seems to be made of cheap plastic pieces which break if you try to fix any thing. Power window motor died on the driver side. Windshield washer fluid reservoir broke and would not hold any fluid. Water pump broke off and broke the timing belt when it happened. A/C died, thermostat closed and shot off a hose. Car doesnt beep when you lock it and the trunk button doesn't work on the remote. Headlight leaks in water, now yellow. Paint chips very easily. Currently we are fixing the radiator because it is leaking engine coolant.

Like a Rock
By GW on 12/31/05 10:20 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

After 109,000 miles, our Camry has lived up to the stereotypical reputation - a flawlessly reliable car. Basically, nothing has ever gone wrong. Well, the interior dome light didn't work when I first picked up the car - and I was too lazy to bring it back - so 7.5 years later it still doesn't work - my fault! The engine has developed a slight rattling sound, nothing to complain about, and understandable at 109K. The car still looks great, paint is still sharp. OK, one other thing, the rear seat drinkholder is flimsy and my kids broke it off pretty easily. Bottom line: Best $18,350 I have ever spent. What a great car - a no-brainer.

keeps on runnin'
By Da Bears! on 12/23/05 00:43 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

Just passed 150k miles on this baby and it still runs great. Other than regular maintenance, no major repairs. Only minor problem is with the trim on the driver's door (the vinyl on armrest is separating).

Amazing Reliability
By she-ra on 12/20/05 22:07 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

I've had this car five years, drove 150,000 miles, and have never had to take it to the shop! Incredible, amazing, wonderful reliability. I'll never buy anything but a Toyota again. It's such a perfect car that its only problem is that you'll be bored with it long before it wants to die.

Runs great.
By chicagocamry on 12/19/05 12:59 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

Traded in RWD sports car for this FWD sedan to deal with Chicago winters and never looked back. This thing just keeps going and going. Did some regular maintenance (oil, brakes, tires, battery, struts), but no mechanical problems for 8 years now. Has over 120k and drives like new.

Toyota Camrys Rock
By Brooke Moore on 10/24/05 20:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

The only thing I have ever had to do with my car is change the brakes. It has been the most reliable car I know of. It is comfortable and gets wonderful gas mileage. When or if I trade it in or sell it I will only renew it for another Camry.

Camry
By Served us well on 09/21/05 09:33 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car new. With 95k miles on it, just regularly changed the oil, brakes once, third set of tires, new battery. Needs new struts (they are noisy), mechanic friend said let it go. No major problems yet. Nice not having a car payment with gas prices rising.