Used 1998 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Skeptical, but impressed!
By j.halloffame

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 9/09 to replace my dying 91 Accord with 232k miles. The only reasons I got it was because its a well priced one owner car with 90k miles. I wasn't even considering a Camry in my entire car search. 7/10 and 25k miles later this car is still going STRONG. Only thing I've done is my oil changes and replaced the tires. Car performs adequate, has enough storage space, and is INCREDIBLY reliable, but it is a Toyota. I plan to keep it for years to come and get it to the same mileage as my Accord had, unless I find a cheap Lexus IS 300 to buy. ;)

26 average gas mileage city/highway, and i've got a heavy foot so that could be higher for someone else. Interior comfort. Great factory stereo. Holds the road at 80+mph with ease, and with very little road noise. Great turning radius. The white color is more of a pearl white then egg shell white.

Passenger seat belt doesn't retract automatically, I have to feed it in. Gas petal sticks every few times and requires excess pressure to get the petal down. Just annoying, doesn't affect the drive. Other than that, no problems!

Phenominal car
By Witt

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for almost 4 years and I haven't had to do anything besides basic upkeep. It's been in a couple fender benders and those only caused cosmetic damage! the only problem I have is it's hesitant to start during the winter but the hood is bent from a wreck. Only problem with the car is it's very boring to drive. It's a great car that lasts forever and gets you from A to B

reliability and durability

Reliable and fun car to drive
By AMiller

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2002 and have had it for over 8 years now. No major mechanical problems outside of typical wear and tear (tires, brakes, struts). Did have to replace valve cover gasket and timing belt which was expensive. Car has 146,000 miles and running strong. I love the V6 power; yet hate the 18 mpg in the city driving.

Leather seats; moonroof; V6 engine

Paint chips easily.

Miss My Camry :(
By 2.2 Camry LE Sedan

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

This was my second car; first was a 91 Civic LE. After it died suddenly, I had 2 days to buy a new car. I needed something really reliable so I looked at Camrys. I had the car a little over a year when someone pulled out in front of me and i totaled it. When I bought the car it had 85k and it had 93k when I lost it. This car was amazing. I had intended on keeping it until I ran it into the ground, which I figured would be around 250-300k. Car had 1 owner b/f me. I took meticulous care of it. It was an amazing car. W/ snow tires, it safely took me over Snoq. Pass (WA) in the snow several times, and around snowy Sea and Spo. This is one of best cars out there, better than brand new Am sedans.

excellent options: fog lights CD Gold Trim Spoiler moonroof moonroof bug/wind shield Toyota VIP etc. RELIABILITY!!! Great resale value got $8k ins $ for total in 06/09 Low maintenance Great power while easy on gas Great in snow/ice even on hills Easy oil change I'm 20yr F & could've done myself.

stronger cam seals. Besides reg maint, had to replace cam seals behind the engine to fix a MINOR oil leak at 91k,stepdad complained about the 2drops/mo it left on our asphalt & since it was due for it's 90k, had those replaced too, even though it wasn't really necessary

still going strong
By KunkyMonkey

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Had been a truck person my whole life but took a new job with a lot of miles on the road and couldn't handle to cost of gas with my pickup. I bought this car with 60k on it and have it up too 209k now. Motor and trans run super strong and I get about 35 mpg on the freeway. Very reliable and drive about 5-600 miles a week on it. I change the oil regularly with ease and haven't had one problem with the motor. Only problem is the driver door handle on the inside broke and have to roll down the window to open the door from the outside. Also replaced the rear struts at 190k but did it myself with ease. I highly recommend this car to anyone that wants a great car with great mpg

Gas MPG and reliability

make the door handles stronger