1998 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
Totally Awesome
By Martin on 06/07/08 19:38 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

227,000 miles. Never dreamed I would be driving a car with this many miles, but now I am. I have had a Corolla, Vibe (Matrix), and now this Camry and love them all. I bought it last November and planned to drive it as a beater until I could afford to get something else, but i love it too much to get rid of it. Highly recommend this car to anyone who needs room, quality, and good gas mileage. Keep up the good work, Toyota!! I am one of your greatest fans.

Lots of power
By carol on 04/12/08 14:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1998 Toyota XLE 6 in November 1997. I have driven several other vehicles and this one has the pick up, and the motor is very quiet. It's been a excellent car.

Old Reliable
By Old Reliable on 03/20/08 18:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Thank goodness for reliable transportation. Bought in 2000 with 36000 miles. Only mechanical issues were some exhaust/catalytic converter problems. (NOT CHEAP TO FIX-1000 miles over Toyota extended warranty-which Toyota has admitted as manufacturing problem, but will not pay for). I've owned 4 cars in the past 30 years, 3 of them a toyota. They're definitely boring, but reliable. The interior is cheap, and having 77000 miles on a ten year old car, it should look better than it does. Trim has been fading and falling off since 2000. Power window issues, release for gas cap has been broken for 9 years.

Happy with Camry
By sammie on 02/19/08 10:14 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I have been very pleased with this car. Highway mileage is 35-37 mpg; city about 25. Have needed very few repairs that were not covered by warranty. They found a few problems I was not aware of while the car was on warranty. Other than those, I've only needed regular maintenance. I do have a rattle in front right wheel well, but no one has found a problem. Front seat could be a little higher. Some wear on inside door. Other than that, it's a great car.

A keeper
By Doc on 12/21/07 14:26 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought our Camry used with 65,000 miles on it, and put on another 65,000 so far. This is easily the best car I have owned in my 30 years of driving. It is still like new, very few squeaks or rattles. Very few problems - burned out light bulbs, other minor items. I figure another 65,000 miles and we will pass it on to our kid.

Super Reliable
By J. Heller on 10/13/07 06:55 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

This is my fourth Toyota. Have never owned anything but Toyotas. While it's not my favorite (options, luxury), it has been my most reliable. Bought it with 41,000 Has 192,000 on it now. This one has needed the least amount of repairs compared to my others. Still going strong, still gets excellent gas mileage (it's a manual, which helps)! Other than a few rattles, this one has lots of miles left in it!

Great car!
By Eric on 10/04/07 14:37 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan

Excellent 4 door sedan. It is as smooth, quiet and comfortable as most luxury sedans, and despite being nine years old with over 100,000 miles, still drives and looks like a new car. The gas mileage is better than many smaller cars (27 in town, 35 highway), and this vehicle is still roomy and comfortable for four good sized adults. The four cylinder engine has better power than I would expect, and handling is not bad for a family sedan.

Good ol' car
By Toyota Guy on 09/22/07 20:13 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Very comfortable, quiet and efficient. Bought this car new, now has 146000 miles. Have had the oil change intervals about every 5000 miles, had the dealer check inside the engine, it's like new inside.

Not what you think
By Itschuck on 08/03/07 07:35 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Well at 80k a new engine due to oil sludge, Toyota covered it but not assuring. Lots of little cheap trim that broke and bubbled. Exterior gold emblems all cracked and peeled, paint didnt hold up at all, mottled and splotched. Sheet metal is incredibly thin, had to drill out the license plate bolts cause they rusted in place.

Great car
By Vlad on 06/28/07 13:52 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

My parents bought this car in August 2001 and they gave it to me in August 2006. Great car and great reliability. Drove it back and forth 350 miles each way every weekend for two months between mid April and mid June. The only thing that needed to be replaced was the rear strut.