Used 1998 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Mixed
By colec

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Got this car as a hand me down from family. While the car has proved to be fairly reliable, I feel like the problems I have experienced with only 138,000 miles are not consistent with the reputation that Toyota builds for itself. Many interior things have broken and have proven costly, the clock alone was several hundred dollars. I also feel like for a '98, and the top Camry model, steering wheel controls and keyless entry should have been available. This is the first car, out of the three that I've had to leave me stranded somewhere, due to it not starting. Other than this car, my family owns all GM and one Ford, and believe it or not, the '98 GM sedan we have has been a better car overall.

Exterior looks, fuel efficiency, leather interior, sunroof, wheels, generally dependable.

Car lacks features it should have had considering the year, interior quality is not up to standards expected. (Clock, windows, console, window swithes, armrest, ignition, seatbelts, keys, exterior door handle, gas tank door release have all broken). Under-powered compared to our '98 Buick's v6. Leg room for driver is very poor for people over 6'.

Nice, reliable car
By lynn321

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 9 years and did not have ANY problems with it until it was 12 years old. The car has been extremely reliable and I would recommend it to anyone without hesitation. The only things that has gone wrong with this car during the 9 years that I have owned it was a power steering leak, a problem with the air conditioning and 2 broken rear seat belts. The car drives like it did when new even though it is now 13 years old.

reliability of engine descent gas mileage exterior styling soft suspension

better interior build quality more durable paint

WOOOOOOO
By jacob357

1998 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan

Overall it is a great car if you upgrade it a little also don't run it into a mercury like my freind ashton did to his jeep

um....stuff My Kicker 12's

it needs more power, torque, more stylish interior

Best Car Ever
By Mark

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I am one of those people that grows tired of cars after 2 years, but this one is a keeper. Bought it with 79K and now have 124K. The car looks, drives and sounds like new at 12 years old. The V-6 is one of the greatest engines ever in terms of performance and reliability. Weak points are wheels, which corrode with road salt and thin, easy-dent body panels. The best of nearly one dozen cars I've owned.

V-6 reliability, highway gas mileage, overall refinement.

Thanks again toyota!
By atoyot

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car with 177,000 miles on it for $2600. I was concerned I didn't get the best deal i could have, but after just a few weeks of ownership, i know this car will last until the 300k mark with minimal maint. The first 18 gal tank of gas provided me with 460 miles of driving pleasure, upon refuel, i found out I still had 3 gals. left in the tank. that's 25mpg combined, probably closer to 28 mpg had I finished the tank off. that is very respectable my my standards, as I'm a truck person. the is quite a bit of road noise but nothing the stereo doesn't drown out. i plan on flushing the trans, and putting high-mileage synthetic fluids in from here on out, hope to keep it as long as can.

cruise control! I'm a man of simple pleasures so i don't need much more than that.

factory map lights for the driver and passenger, I'm sure this is fixed for the 2011 model year, but still, even my 1995 Tacoma has map lights. drivers seat is uncomfortable for long trips, but really, which car isn't uncomfortable after 300 miles w/out stopping?