1998 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
ready for a new one
By needanewone on 01/08/10 13:08 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan

I LOVED my Camry when I bought it, but now I HATE it. The drivers side door handle has broken off twice, the drivers window does not like to roll up once it goes down, and the clear coat has chipped off of the hood. The only good thing about this car which I guess is the part that matters the most is that I have not had any mechanical issues. I have only had to do scheduled maintenance work. With 220,000 miles, I guess I can't complain too much about that.

220K miles and still going
By vdave on 12/16/09 22:22 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

220k miles and still going....amazing car. Only thing I have done is regular maintenance. Want to buy a new car but cannot justify it given that this one is in such a great condition.

Top Notch
By Susie on 12/07/09 10:45 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Vehicle was inherited from a family member in 2005 with about 35,000 miles on it then. It has performed extremely well and have put another 36500 on since then. The Camry is used mostly for driving within a 45 mile radius but has been driven on several 4000 mile trips over the last couple of years. It is not garaged since it is a third car, but the finish still looks good. Had to replace the catalytic converter a few months ago and the driver's window sometimes has a problem staying on track. Interior is flawless. Other than that nothing but normal maintenance.

High School Car
By Monkeywrencher on 11/24/09 13:40 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

As a college student I find this to be a perfect car. I have had this car for several years and have only had minor issues with it. One complaint is the windows! Back passenger side window will not roll up or down..currently held in place with clear duct tape. Drivers window will not roll up unless you wait 5 min to gain 1 inch of window. Other than that I have never had any engine problems and love my car! So much better than my old Chevy Blazer 1994!

Value-ablility
By bman on 08/13/09 21:35 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan

Just at 173K and this car has been as reliable as could be. Other than actual scheduled maintenance, we have little or no "other" stuff to do to this car. I wish I would have put leather into the car. I did put a XM radio and upgrade the music system at 130K and it's well worth it. My 18 y/o son wants this car and we think it could go another 100K or better.

Love my old Camry
By Ellen on 07/31/09 08:10 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

I have been looking for a new car for almost a year now, and can't justify getting rid of my 1998 camry. I really love it. I know with all the miles I have on it, I will need to do something. Major thing was cat- converter and that was just recently. The V6 is quiet and drives great. Mileage is fine. Never though I would keep this car for 12 years and not want to get rid of it after 12 years.

Love it!
By Emmy on 07/23/09 20:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this about 4 weeks ago and I can honestly say that I am so lucky to have gotten this for my first car. The ride is super smooth and the seats are very comfortable. I love that you can raise the seat up higher if you need to. For an 11 year old car, it still runs and looks brand new. The paint isn't faded at all. My only complaint is that the air conditioner makes a whistling noise on the higher settings... it's strange. Gets cold fast though, which is all that matters. The stereo sounds great too; I got a cassette adapter for my ipod, and it works perfectly.

AMAZING!
By PFranks on 04/02/09 14:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I am about to purchase a new car and am worried that the newer one will not be able to compare to the reliability of my Camry. The only complaint I have is that the paint has began to fade. Other than that, I have 170000 miles on it and have never had a mechanical problem. It will be a sad day when I pass my car onto another lucky owner.

Awesome car
By sd6519 on 03/05/09 14:47 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan

This car has 112000 miles and has never failed me once. I recently got a new water pump and timing belt, but that's just regular maintenance for an 11 yr old car. If you want reliability, buy one of these bad boys.

Still good
By Raja on 10/31/08 14:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this 10 days back with 110k on the odometer. I was reluctant since it is already 11 years old but surprised to see it runs great! The noise is very less when compared to other cars. Mileage is excellent. I think it gives around 25 per gallon still on city roads.