Used 1998 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

A reliable driving machine, tucked inside a grandmother’s bonnet
By garnoth

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

This car has been reliable and then some; it got me though college without needing any major work. It just won't die. I was told 3 years ago that the transmission was going and to expect a year out of it. It's still shifting away. I've wanted to upgrade but nothing sounds better than "paid-off". It has had some engine work done on it but this thing has hit 230k and is still running. The suspension is on this car is terrible for going over any driveway, it bottoms out like nuts. That being said I've smacked into countless city drive-ways and many bumpy mountain roads and rocks yet never actually had any problems. The bottom of this car might be made from Nokia phones

Reliability, unadvertised dominance in snowy conditions as well as good, light off-road performance. Seriously, this car handles really well on the snowy mountain passes of Washington.

I hear they already fixed the bottoming out issue. So no.

Toyota at Its Best
By manullang11

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Parentals first bought this car (used) in 2002, then I started using it for college in '06, until this day. How I've under appreciated this car for so many years. Not till I graduated and started working, that I thought to myself, what does the new car market have to offer that is worth paying $500 a month for payments, for me to pass on this reliable toyota to another owner. We also have an 04 Honda Accord and an 05 Corolla in the family. The cabin build quality and engine smoothness of the Camry is obviously a step up from the corolla. But I think Toyotas have an edge over Hondas in aging. Engine noise seems to be more isolated in the Camry and somehow it feels torquier than the Honda.

Soft materials for the touch-points of the car (steering wheel, center arm rest, etc). The visibility all around from cars designed in the 1990's (taller windows and lower door seals proportion). The sound insulation in the cabin and smoothness of the engine other Camry owners can attest to. There's a reason they have been so popular to buyers for all these years. Wished the Camry size stays the same though; it seems to grow more and more these days.

Better heating (maybe just my car; but not really up to snuff for the worst of Chicago winter days).

I'm a Honda guy, but this car changed the game..
By ajhall

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Had an Accord before the Camry, and gave my Camry to my fiance to buy another Accord, but I have a higher standard after owning it for four years. 4 years and 90k miles later and this car has required two sets of tires and one set of brakes. No other issues or signs of issues to come. A breeze to own and low cost. The drive is comfortable, but a little numb at times--feeling more electronic then mechanical. Great visibility, and mpg (28 city/hwy mixed and I drive hard..used to V6 cars). The overall quality is bar none, and the sound deadning materials used are supreme. Even as we outgrow this car, we plan to keep it as a spare vehicle because we've always been able to count on it.

Quiet engine and sealed from roadnoise, impeccable reliability, fair exterior style, gas mileage, holds up to wear and tear, low cost to own and maintain

The keyless entry remotes are cheap and break easily with a high replacement cost, the LED lights on the rear wing are also costly to replace--both are issues Toyota has addressed in later models.

the best car ever made
By 2191toyota

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

i have had this car for 14 years and have not had any problems with this car it's super quiet as if i just bought it it's really fast to be a 4 cylinder car the stock speakers sound great and it's the best car to get for anyone and i would really like how the new camrys have improved from mine since it's such a reliable car and well put together to. it also has 291,003 miles on it and it still drives like new.

engine,design,realiable

none

Satisfied!
By triples

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I like this car a lot. Good fuel economy and very reliable. I have had to make a couple $100 repairs but nevery anything major. Most recently I had to replace the starter at 126k miles but that is the first non-regular maintenance that I have had do do for since owning in it for 5 years.

• SUV