Used 1998 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

1998 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Satisfied!
By triples

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I like this car a lot. Good fuel economy and very reliable. I have had to make a couple $100 repairs but nevery anything major. Most recently I had to replace the starter at 126k miles but that is the first non-regular maintenance that I have had do do for since owning in it for 5 years.

Excellent!
By fred158

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bough it when it has 224K on it. The price was so low that I could afford, but, this car has never disappointed me. I have replaced starter, battery, some shafts, now engine's get turned on in a second in winter. 4 wheel ABS works perfectly and I had never been troubled by it. Shocks make sound over humps and bumps but its ok, I'm using it in a small town with speed limit<45., so, no problem! Even replacing the whole shock and strut for one wheel would not be more than 400$. It's a great car that I got for a great price!

Favorite Features

Dependable, low-cost maintenance, always sellable (take 200$ off and it will be cash!)

Ignition/ Steering Column
By kturner91

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

The most recent, and most inconvenient issue that has arisen concerns starting the car. Not the car actually starting, but the key not turning the ignition even when the wheel is straight, foot is on the break, doors are locked, and seatbelt is on. It has been taking about 4 mins. worth of attempting to start the car (even to run on the battery) before the key will budge. A very annoying and time consuming problem...especially in the hot summer.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, reasonably smooth ride and accelleration response. Runs fairly quitely, and moderately comfortable for long trips...nothing extrodinary, but still better than mediocre.

Suggested Improvements

Smaller Interior,and budy

Good Car, good value
By luckydriver

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Purchased mine with 95K in 2005 (with no carfax) and it now has 160k in 2011. Since then I have had normal expected maintenance, breaks, battery, and tires. And then some things I did not expect, 1) Work to the front left axle or bearings. 2) a Bushing in the rear end. 3) Overheating engine caused by a failing water pump assembly. and 4) dripping oil beneath the car. 5) a Dear ran into the side of my car causing a huge dent in the rear quarter panel. The car shows exterior signs of damage from a previous owner, possibly a rear end collision.??? In six year the car has cost me about $.10 cents per mile for maintenance. (including body damage repair costs), if This car is great!

Favorite Features

I get lots of comments like "Thats a Nice Car!" Plus Keyless entry, factory car alarm, interior layout including a nice dashboard, power windows, moon/sunroof, large trunk fits snowboard, and lots of luggage for moving to and from college. fuel efficiency, Large interior. I hope to drive in to over 200K up to 300k.

Suggested Improvements

Ejection seats for people who smoke in the car.

Unreliable & Expensive to Fix
By roadway1

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Everything brakes on a regular basis. Expensive to fix. Started falling apart at 115,000 miles. Avoid Toyota Camry. Too many problems to list. Easier to say almost nothing functions properly. I can say the floor mats are still working correctly, but that is about it.