Used 1998 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Camry
By Served us well

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car new. With 95k miles on it, just regularly changed the oil, brakes once, third set of tires, new battery. Needs new struts (they are noisy), mechanic friend said let it go. No major problems yet. Nice not having a car payment with gas prices rising.

It's reliable, starts every time, runs well, tracks well in snow but only with newer rubber.

Struts should last longer, gas pedal sticks after coasting a ways, car scratches easily, rear bumper dents/dings easily, lousy radio reception, some trim pieces pulling away.

Tired of it...
By amitamit

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I drive a Camry LE. I am tired of this vehicle. Although it is more reliable than superman its just not enjoyable. There is a significant decrease in speed and acceleration when i turn the a\c on. Little plastic pieces pop right off. And you really have to nail the gas in order to keep up with the flow of traffic. As of this summer i will no longer own another camry as long as i still have a breath in my body. But dont get me wrong it is a reliable car no engine or mechanical problems what so ever. Just a boring vehicle.

Thermometer in the rearview. Reliability and the spiffy looking spoiler that goes along with the gold trim and sand two-toned paint.

power, power, and more power. Better gas mileage and also the leather seat quality.

Get the V6!!
By Average Joe

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought my camry used in 02 with 54k already on it. I've added 40k miles cross country and up and down the East coast. The water pump broke at about 70k miles and took out the timing belt ($400 to repair), but otherwise I've not had any problems. I'd definitely buy the V6 - mine's a 4-cylinder and is fine for regular driving but doesn't have much of any reserves of power when you need it. I find the seats very comfortable and I love the interior layout. The fuel economy is great, too - I can go over 500 miles on one tank on the highway (I've gotten as much as 33 mpg).

Interior layout & comfort, quiet ride, great fuel economy.

More power & sportier handling!

200,000 miles & still going!!
By Dinah Fuller

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I still have my first car, a 1969 VW Beetle. Our son in Dallas drives it now. This is my second car. I'm a realtor in Tulsa and have put 200,000 miles on my Camry since May 1998. The ONLY problem I've had is the transmission, which I replaced at 180,000 miles. I change oil every 3,000 miles and have her regular check- ups. I'm giving her away and buying a new one.... the gas tank "flap" won't open!! As good a reason as any, I guess.

She has never left me stranded. Even the transmission at 180,000 miles didn't really go out, it was just leaking. The air conditioning system freezes us out and we've NEVER had a problem with it.

I can't imagine.

Disappointed
By chuck drkae

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

After 5 yrs I sold it, the paint was terrible, the gold emblems had all peeled, the interior fake wood trim peeled, the seats looked like a 15 yr old car. Then there was the oil sludge problem, decided to unload it before it died. At 20 grand new it wasnt worth it..

Roomy