Used 1998 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Like a Rock
By GW

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

After 109,000 miles, our Camry has lived up to the stereotypical reputation - a flawlessly reliable car. Basically, nothing has ever gone wrong. Well, the interior dome light didn't work when I first picked up the car - and I was too lazy to bring it back - so 7.5 years later it still doesn't work - my fault! The engine has developed a slight rattling sound, nothing to complain about, and understandable at 109K. The car still looks great, paint is still sharp. OK, one other thing, the rear seat drinkholder is flimsy and my kids broke it off pretty easily. Bottom line: Best $18,350 I have ever spent. What a great car - a no-brainer.

Favorite Features

Solid feel. Big trunk. Very large comfortable back seat. Big glove compartment. Convenient large center console storage. A/C cools car very quickly. Peppy, for a 4-cyl engine. Smooth cruise control.

Suggested Improvements

I've sort of "outgrown" my Camry luxury-wise. My key upgrades for my next car will be leather seats, keyless entry, dual climate zones and rear climate controls, better radio (the Camry's audio seems to come only from the front), auto seat controls.

keeps on runnin'
By Da Bears!

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

Just passed 150k miles on this baby and it still runs great. Other than regular maintenance, no major repairs. Only minor problem is with the trim on the driver's door (the vinyl on armrest is separating).

Favorite Features

V6 engine has plenty of power and still gets decent gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Change the angle of the rear window to improve visibility out the back. It's difficult to judge distance while reversing when you can't see the end of the car.

Amazing Reliability
By she-ra

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

I've had this car five years, drove 150,000 miles, and have never had to take it to the shop! Incredible, amazing, wonderful reliability. I'll never buy anything but a Toyota again. It's such a perfect car that its only problem is that you'll be bored with it long before it wants to die.

Favorite Features

Never, ever ever breaks down.

Suggested Improvements

hmmmm, can't think of anything....

Runs great.
By chicagocamry

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

Traded in RWD sports car for this FWD sedan to deal with Chicago winters and never looked back. This thing just keeps going and going. Did some regular maintenance (oil, brakes, tires, battery, struts), but no mechanical problems for 8 years now. Has over 120k and drives like new.

Favorite Features

Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Toyota Camrys Rock
By Brooke Moore

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

The only thing I have ever had to do with my car is change the brakes. It has been the most reliable car I know of. It is comfortable and gets wonderful gas mileage. When or if I trade it in or sell it I will only renew it for another Camry.

Favorite Features

Just the exceptional reliability it provides.

Suggested Improvements

No improvements need to be made.