Used 1998 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Most Helpful|
Thanks again toyota!
By atoyot

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car with 177,000 miles on it for $2600. I was concerned I didn't get the best deal i could have, but after just a few weeks of ownership, i know this car will last until the 300k mark with minimal maint. The first 18 gal tank of gas provided me with 460 miles of driving pleasure, upon refuel, i found out I still had 3 gals. left in the tank. that's 25mpg combined, probably closer to 28 mpg had I finished the tank off. that is very respectable my my standards, as I'm a truck person. the is quite a bit of road noise but nothing the stereo doesn't drown out. i plan on flushing the trans, and putting high-mileage synthetic fluids in from here on out, hope to keep it as long as can.

Favorite Features

cruise control! I'm a man of simple pleasures so i don't need much more than that.

Suggested Improvements

factory map lights for the driver and passenger, I'm sure this is fixed for the 2011 model year, but still, even my 1995 Tacoma has map lights. drivers seat is uncomfortable for long trips, but really, which car isn't uncomfortable after 300 miles w/out stopping?

Excellent!
By fred158

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bough it when it has 224K on it. The price was so low that I could afford, but, this car has never disappointed me. I have replaced starter, battery, some shafts, now engine's get turned on in a second in winter. 4 wheel ABS works perfectly and I had never been troubled by it. Shocks make sound over humps and bumps but its ok, I'm using it in a small town with speed limit<45., so, no problem! Even replacing the whole shock and strut for one wheel would not be more than 400$. It's a great car that I got for a great price!

Favorite Features

Dependable, low-cost maintenance, always sellable (take 200$ off and it will be cash!)

Still good
By Raja

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this 10 days back with 110k on the odometer. I was reluctant since it is already 11 years old but surprised to see it runs great! The noise is very less when compared to other cars. Mileage is excellent. I think it gives around 25 per gallon still on city roads.

Favorite Features

Spacious interiors.

Suggested Improvements

Could have a little raise in the driver's seat I believe.

Toyota at Its Best
By manullang11

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Parentals first bought this car (used) in 2002, then I started using it for college in '06, until this day. How I've under appreciated this car for so many years. Not till I graduated and started working, that I thought to myself, what does the new car market have to offer that is worth paying $500 a month for payments, for me to pass on this reliable toyota to another owner. We also have an 04 Honda Accord and an 05 Corolla in the family. The cabin build quality and engine smoothness of the Camry is obviously a step up from the corolla. But I think Toyotas have an edge over Hondas in aging. Engine noise seems to be more isolated in the Camry and somehow it feels torquier than the Honda.

Favorite Features

Soft materials for the touch-points of the car (steering wheel, center arm rest, etc). The visibility all around from cars designed in the 1990's (taller windows and lower door seals proportion). The sound insulation in the cabin and smoothness of the engine other Camry owners can attest to. There's a reason they have been so popular to buyers for all these years. Wished the Camry size stays the same though; it seems to grow more and more these days.

Suggested Improvements

Better heating (maybe just my car; but not really up to snuff for the worst of Chicago winter days).

What a car!!!
By badcompany2

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

We bought this car around 2008, for $5200. It had about 220,000km on it at the time. We used it at least 3 times a week, with each trip being over 200km total, we also used it for everyday driving and any trip me made. It now has 435,000km, it has has needed rear suspension work and the A/C does not work but that's are fault, we hardly used it. It now needs a new exhaust and fuel tank. We also did not maintain this car very well. Another thing is this car has very little rust, and I live in Ontario. The car is fairly comfortable and parts are available, not as available as a Chevy Truck, but what do you expect. The mileage is good at 25mph to 35mph depending what your doing. Overall great.

Favorite Features

The power is better than the Corolla.

Suggested Improvements

Better suspension system would be nice, that's about it, and mabye more leg room considering this is a Camry not a Corolla.