Used 1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Great Car
By JRad

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought my 98 camry with 130K on it in 2009, I will be trading it in soon to get another car. I've done a lot of driving in this thing, yearly trips from Delaware to Connecticut, some trips to Boston and Buffalo as well. Weekly commutes to Philly, etc. Currently sitting at 220K miles and this thing could probably last me another 100K if I needed it to. Only repairs it ever needed were basic wear and tear, aside from fuel injectors going out (conveniently) right after the warranty expired. A few minor issues like one of the door speakers going out, and the drivers side window motor breaking. The motor was replaced but now it doesn't always sit in the door right but its okay. Great storage, I've hauled a full drum kit in this thing so many times and carried my hockey gear in the trunk almost daily. Well worth every penny, I trust Toyota more than any other brand!

Mixed
By colec

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Got this car as a hand me down from family. While the car has proved to be fairly reliable, I feel like the problems I have experienced with only 138,000 miles are not consistent with the reputation that Toyota builds for itself. Many interior things have broken and have proven costly, the clock alone was several hundred dollars. I also feel like for a '98, and the top Camry model, steering wheel controls and keyless entry should have been available. This is the first car, out of the three that I've had to leave me stranded somewhere, due to it not starting. Other than this car, my family owns all GM and one Ford, and believe it or not, the '98 GM sedan we have has been a better car overall.

Exterior looks, fuel efficiency, leather interior, sunroof, wheels, generally dependable.

Car lacks features it should have had considering the year, interior quality is not up to standards expected. (Clock, windows, console, window swithes, armrest, ignition, seatbelts, keys, exterior door handle, gas tank door release have all broken). Under-powered compared to our '98 Buick's v6. Leg room for driver is very poor for people over 6'.

Best Car Ever
By Mark

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I am one of those people that grows tired of cars after 2 years, but this one is a keeper. Bought it with 79K and now have 124K. The car looks, drives and sounds like new at 12 years old. The V-6 is one of the greatest engines ever in terms of performance and reliability. Weak points are wheels, which corrode with road salt and thin, easy-dent body panels. The best of nearly one dozen cars I've owned.

V-6 reliability, highway gas mileage, overall refinement.

Reliable and fun car to drive
By AMiller

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2002 and have had it for over 8 years now. No major mechanical problems outside of typical wear and tear (tires, brakes, struts). Did have to replace valve cover gasket and timing belt which was expensive. Car has 146,000 miles and running strong. I love the V6 power; yet hate the 18 mpg in the city driving.

Leather seats; moonroof; V6 engine

Paint chips easily.

A keeper
By Doc

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought our Camry used with 65,000 miles on it, and put on another 65,000 so far. This is easily the best car I have owned in my 30 years of driving. It is still like new, very few squeaks or rattles. Very few problems - burned out light bulbs, other minor items. I figure another 65,000 miles and we will pass it on to our kid.

Smooth, quiet, and comfortable. Tracks straight as if it were on rails. The V6 leaves the tin-can muffler crowd watching my tail-lights. Extraordinarily reliable.

Leather seats need heaters.

• SUV