Used 1998 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Great Car
By JRad

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought my 98 camry with 130K on it in 2009, I will be trading it in soon to get another car. I've done a lot of driving in this thing, yearly trips from Delaware to Connecticut, some trips to Boston and Buffalo as well. Weekly commutes to Philly, etc. Currently sitting at 220K miles and this thing could probably last me another 100K if I needed it to. Only repairs it ever needed were basic wear and tear, aside from fuel injectors going out (conveniently) right after the warranty expired. A few minor issues like one of the door speakers going out, and the drivers side window motor breaking. The motor was replaced but now it doesn't always sit in the door right but its okay. Great storage, I've hauled a full drum kit in this thing so many times and carried my hockey gear in the trunk almost daily. Well worth every penny, I trust Toyota more than any other brand!

1998 Toyota Camry - A True Workhorse
By Tony Vee

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used in 2005 with 54K, now has 155K and still going strong! Great dependability, low maintenance, paint still shines and is very roadworthy - I would not hesitate to drive this car cross country. Aside from routine maintenance, a new radiator, and upgraded stereo system, this car is bone stock. Drives as good as the day I bought it. Recently had to take a 1K mile round trip and this car handled like a champ. Over the summer we took a family vacation to the mountains, which tend to be hard on any transmission much less one that is 17 years old and again no issues. When I purchased this car 10 years ago, I wasn't in a position to buy a new car, which certainly isn't the case today. Regardless I'm holding on to the most dependable car I have ever owned, my 1998 Camry. If one day I do give in and decide to buy another car, it will be another Camry!

Camry a.k.a. TANK!
By Kc Stebbins

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

This car may not be anything sporty or highly appealing but I give Toyota all credit by making a strong running reliable car! This car has been by far the BEST car I've ever owned. I purchased the car with 235k on it so it was well broke in. The car now has 284k on it and has never failed me. Other than regular maintenance of changing the timing belt, tires, brakes, oil. I have had no major issues at all with this car. Everything works on it. It does consume a little oil though but the car is going on 18 years old. I would recommend anyone to buy a camry. The build quality is amazing too. Everything is still in tact inside and out. It is very comfortable to drive on trips as well. I lived in Ohio and taken the vehicle to Indiana, Michigan, west Virginia and Kentucky several times, and here just recently drove the car from Ohio all the way to Arizona with absolutely no problems! I hope this car lasts for a long time to come even with almost 300k on it. I will definitely be buying another camry for my next car. Toyota has me sold, compared to other brands of cars that consistently have problems and don't even live to see the day of 200,000+ miles

What a car!!!
By badcompany2

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

We bought this car around 2008, for $5200. It had about 220,000km on it at the time. We used it at least 3 times a week, with each trip being over 200km total, we also used it for everyday driving and any trip me made. It now has 435,000km, it has has needed rear suspension work and the A/C does not work but that's are fault, we hardly used it. It now needs a new exhaust and fuel tank. We also did not maintain this car very well. Another thing is this car has very little rust, and I live in Ontario. The car is fairly comfortable and parts are available, not as available as a Chevy Truck, but what do you expect. The mileage is good at 25mph to 35mph depending what your doing. Overall great.

The power is better than the Corolla.

Better suspension system would be nice, that's about it, and mabye more leg room considering this is a Camry not a Corolla.

A reliable driving machine, tucked inside a grandmother’s bonnet
By garnoth

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

This car has been reliable and then some; it got me though college without needing any major work. It just won't die. I was told 3 years ago that the transmission was going and to expect a year out of it. It's still shifting away. I've wanted to upgrade but nothing sounds better than "paid-off". It has had some engine work done on it but this thing has hit 230k and is still running. The suspension is on this car is terrible for going over any driveway, it bottoms out like nuts. That being said I've smacked into countless city drive-ways and many bumpy mountain roads and rocks yet never actually had any problems. The bottom of this car might be made from Nokia phones

Reliability, unadvertised dominance in snowy conditions as well as good, light off-road performance. Seriously, this car handles really well on the snowy mountain passes of Washington.

I hear they already fixed the bottoming out issue. So no.

• SUV