1998 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
Mixed
By colec on 05/16/11 13:34 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Got this car as a hand me down from family. While the car has proved to be fairly reliable, I feel like the problems I have experienced with only 138,000 miles are not consistent with the reputation that Toyota builds for itself. Many interior things have broken and have proven costly, the clock alone was several hundred dollars. I also feel like for a '98, and the top Camry model, steering wheel controls and keyless entry should have been available. This is the first car, out of the three that I've had to leave me stranded somewhere, due to it not starting. Other than this car, my family owns all GM and one Ford, and believe it or not, the '98 GM sedan we have has been a better car overall.

Best Car Ever
By Mark on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I am one of those people that grows tired of cars after 2 years, but this one is a keeper. Bought it with 79K and now have 124K. The car looks, drives and sounds like new at 12 years old. The V-6 is one of the greatest engines ever in terms of performance and reliability. Weak points are wheels, which corrode with road salt and thin, easy-dent body panels. The best of nearly one dozen cars I've owned.

Reliable and fun car to drive
By AMiller on 03/31/10 13:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2002 and have had it for over 8 years now. No major mechanical problems outside of typical wear and tear (tires, brakes, struts). Did have to replace valve cover gasket and timing belt which was expensive. Car has 146,000 miles and running strong. I love the V6 power; yet hate the 18 mpg in the city driving.

A keeper
By Doc on 12/21/07 14:26 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought our Camry used with 65,000 miles on it, and put on another 65,000 so far. This is easily the best car I have owned in my 30 years of driving. It is still like new, very few squeaks or rattles. Very few problems - burned out light bulbs, other minor items. I figure another 65,000 miles and we will pass it on to our kid.

one reliable car
By Paul K on 05/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

We had bought this car brand new yet even after about 85000 miles, it seems nearly the same. It is very comfortable and has just the right amount of acceleration. Never had any problems with the car.

don't settle for 4 cyl or softness
By thegman on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I needed a car with good gas mileage,is reliable and less than 10k. I prefer cars with some personality and some performance. I installed a set of progressive lowering springs (about 1.2 inches) What a difference and with little compromise to ride quality. Threw in a K&N filter. Well worth 30 some bucks for a couple hp, cooler growl from the motor and improved throttle response. Upgrade to some 215/55/16 all season tires and this car is now looks better handles and brakes better and sounds better on throttle. All for about $1500 bucks. TRD offers a supercharger for about $3500 installed. This car now becomes fast!

Average In Every Way
By D103 on 08/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Went from a Chrysler (bad transmission) to Toyota because of reliability reputation. Have found it to be slightly above average in reliability, but mostly below average in most other aspects. Namely, exterior design is very bland - sheet metal so thin a fly can dent the hood, aluminum wheels discolor rapidly. The interior is also just average in most respects (this is an XLE). Factor in the relative frequency of service visits (PS - very hard to get appointments, and costly), and all of a sudden I long to own a quality product such as Chrysler again. For the price - NOT A GOOD VALUE.

Best Car I've Ever Had
By MVGal on 08/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

This car is a dream to drive. It's so reliable, so smooth on the road, so quiet, and the V6 accelerates in and out of traffic like no car I've ever owned. I've never had any problem with it, just do regular maintenance. I love all the XLE features. And it's a black beauty. You think you are driving one of the more expensive cars, but you don't have the sticker shock. All cars should be made this well.

Toyota makes me a happy camper
By Dutch on 09/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Camry XLE V-6 last November. I bought it as a "certified" used car, which included an thorough inspection and some other extras. I negotiated with the dealer for a new set of tires to be included in the deal although the car only had about 35,000 miles on it. In January I drove it from it Michigan to Key West, Florida and back logging some 3,000 miles. I was pleasantly surprised. I love the stereo, the leather seats and the cruise control was extremely precise. The trunk is much more spacious than meets the eye. I had plenty of room for all my camping gear. Gas mileage was good.

XLE V6
By Andrew on 08/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

The Camry XLE V6 is very comfortable and reliable. It has a good performance.