Used 1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

1998 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Mixed
By colec

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Got this car as a hand me down from family. While the car has proved to be fairly reliable, I feel like the problems I have experienced with only 138,000 miles are not consistent with the reputation that Toyota builds for itself. Many interior things have broken and have proven costly, the clock alone was several hundred dollars. I also feel like for a '98, and the top Camry model, steering wheel controls and keyless entry should have been available. This is the first car, out of the three that I've had to leave me stranded somewhere, due to it not starting. Other than this car, my family owns all GM and one Ford, and believe it or not, the '98 GM sedan we have has been a better car overall.

Favorite Features

Exterior looks, fuel efficiency, leather interior, sunroof, wheels, generally dependable.

Suggested Improvements

Car lacks features it should have had considering the year, interior quality is not up to standards expected. (Clock, windows, console, window swithes, armrest, ignition, seatbelts, keys, exterior door handle, gas tank door release have all broken). Under-powered compared to our '98 Buick's v6. Leg room for driver is very poor for people over 6'.

Best Car Ever
By Mark

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I am one of those people that grows tired of cars after 2 years, but this one is a keeper. Bought it with 79K and now have 124K. The car looks, drives and sounds like new at 12 years old. The V-6 is one of the greatest engines ever in terms of performance and reliability. Weak points are wheels, which corrode with road salt and thin, easy-dent body panels. The best of nearly one dozen cars I've owned.

Favorite Features

V-6 reliability, highway gas mileage, overall refinement.

Reliable and fun car to drive
By AMiller

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2002 and have had it for over 8 years now. No major mechanical problems outside of typical wear and tear (tires, brakes, struts). Did have to replace valve cover gasket and timing belt which was expensive. Car has 146,000 miles and running strong. I love the V6 power; yet hate the 18 mpg in the city driving.

Favorite Features

Leather seats; moonroof; V6 engine

Suggested Improvements

Paint chips easily.

A keeper
By Doc

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought our Camry used with 65,000 miles on it, and put on another 65,000 so far. This is easily the best car I have owned in my 30 years of driving. It is still like new, very few squeaks or rattles. Very few problems - burned out light bulbs, other minor items. I figure another 65,000 miles and we will pass it on to our kid.

Favorite Features

Smooth, quiet, and comfortable. Tracks straight as if it were on rails. The V6 leaves the tin-can muffler crowd watching my tail-lights. Extraordinarily reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Leather seats need heaters.

one reliable car
By Paul K

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

We had bought this car brand new yet even after about 85000 miles, it seems nearly the same. It is very comfortable and has just the right amount of acceleration. Never had any problems with the car.

Favorite Features

sound system, reliability, smooth

Suggested Improvements

more hp although the acceleration is still very nice.