1998 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
A reliable driving machine, tucked inside a grandmother’s bonnet
By garnoth on 02/03/14 13:05 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

This car has been reliable and then some; it got me though college without needing any major work. It just won't die. I was told 3 years ago that the transmission was going and to expect a year out of it. It's still shifting away. I've wanted to upgrade but nothing sounds better than "paid-off". It has had some engine work done on it but this thing has hit 230k and is still running. The suspension is on this car is terrible for going over any driveway, it bottoms out like nuts. That being said I've smacked into countless city drive-ways and many bumpy mountain roads and rocks yet never actually had any problems. The bottom of this car might be made from Nokia phones

Toyota at Its Best
By manullang11 on 06/08/13 01:54 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Parentals first bought this car (used) in 2002, then I started using it for college in '06, until this day. How I've under appreciated this car for so many years. Not till I graduated and started working, that I thought to myself, what does the new car market have to offer that is worth paying $500 a month for payments, for me to pass on this reliable toyota to another owner. We also have an 04 Honda Accord and an 05 Corolla in the family. The cabin build quality and engine smoothness of the Camry is obviously a step up from the corolla. But I think Toyotas have an edge over Hondas in aging. Engine noise seems to be more isolated in the Camry and somehow it feels torquier than the Honda.

I'm a Honda guy, but this car changed the game..
By ajhall on 04/02/13 12:43 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Had an Accord before the Camry, and gave my Camry to my fiance to buy another Accord, but I have a higher standard after owning it for four years. 4 years and 90k miles later and this car has required two sets of tires and one set of brakes. No other issues or signs of issues to come. A breeze to own and low cost. The drive is comfortable, but a little numb at times--feeling more electronic then mechanical. Great visibility, and mpg (28 city/hwy mixed and I drive hard..used to V6 cars). The overall quality is bar none, and the sound deadning materials used are supreme. Even as we outgrow this car, we plan to keep it as a spare vehicle because we've always been able to count on it.

the best car ever made
By 2191toyota on 11/25/12 22:47 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

i have had this car for 14 years and have not had any problems with this car it's super quiet as if i just bought it it's really fast to be a 4 cylinder car the stock speakers sound great and it's the best car to get for anyone and i would really like how the new camrys have improved from mine since it's such a reliable car and well put together to. it also has 291,003 miles on it and it still drives like new.

Satisfied!
By triples on 10/05/12 09:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I like this car a lot. Good fuel economy and very reliable. I have had to make a couple $100 repairs but nevery anything major. Most recently I had to replace the starter at 126k miles but that is the first non-regular maintenance that I have had do do for since owning in it for 5 years.

Excellent!
By fred158 on 01/20/12 19:05 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bough it when it has 224K on it. The price was so low that I could afford, but, this car has never disappointed me. I have replaced starter, battery, some shafts, now engine's get turned on in a second in winter. 4 wheel ABS works perfectly and I had never been troubled by it. Shocks make sound over humps and bumps but its ok, I'm using it in a small town with speed limit<45., so, no problem! Even replacing the whole shock and strut for one wheel would not be more than 400$. It's a great car that I got for a great price!

Ignition/ Steering Column
By kturner91 on 08/02/11 09:57 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

The most recent, and most inconvenient issue that has arisen concerns starting the car. Not the car actually starting, but the key not turning the ignition even when the wheel is straight, foot is on the break, doors are locked, and seatbelt is on. It has been taking about 4 mins. worth of attempting to start the car (even to run on the battery) before the key will budge. A very annoying and time consuming problem...especially in the hot summer.

Good Car, good value
By luckydriver on 07/28/11 21:08 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Purchased mine with 95K in 2005 (with no carfax) and it now has 160k in 2011. Since then I have had normal expected maintenance, breaks, battery, and tires. And then some things I did not expect, 1) Work to the front left axle or bearings. 2) a Bushing in the rear end. 3) Overheating engine caused by a failing water pump assembly. and 4) dripping oil beneath the car. 5) a Dear ran into the side of my car causing a huge dent in the rear quarter panel. The car shows exterior signs of damage from a previous owner, possibly a rear end collision.??? In six year the car has cost me about $.10 cents per mile for maintenance. (including body damage repair costs), if This car is great!

Unreliable & Expensive to Fix
By roadway1 on 05/22/11 05:56 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Everything brakes on a regular basis. Expensive to fix. Started falling apart at 115,000 miles. Avoid Toyota Camry. Too many problems to list. Easier to say almost nothing functions properly. I can say the floor mats are still working correctly, but that is about it.

Nice, reliable car
By lynn321 on 01/19/11 08:32 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 9 years and did not have ANY problems with it until it was 12 years old. The car has been extremely reliable and I would recommend it to anyone without hesitation. The only things that has gone wrong with this car during the 9 years that I have owned it was a power steering leak, a problem with the air conditioning and 2 broken rear seat belts. The car drives like it did when new even though it is now 13 years old.