Used 1997 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

It's a keeper
By Sue

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my Camry new. During the first 5 years I had to spend some money on unreasonable problems like a clunking noise that sounds like the car was falling apart. My mechanic told me it's a manufacturer defect but the manufacturer didn't recall because it's not a safety issue. I spent about $300 to fix this problem because it really bothered me. There were some other strange problems but now at 120,000 miles it runs great. I do regular oil change and tune up and replaced the water pump and timing belt at 90K. Also replaced the tires twice and brakes. I just spent $250 for a full service wax and now it's shining like new! I'm planning to keep it.

It's a nice design. It's a roomy family car but also looks sporty. Engine is very quiet. Sometime I can't tell if it's on or not.

10+ yrs, 100+ miles - still going strong
By thc

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

Since March, we've been looking to buy a new car to replace this 10 yo Camry. However, after months of search, we decided to keep it until it breaks. This car has been unbelievably reliable. After 10+ yrs and 100K, the V6 is still running strong exactly like the day I drove it off the dealer lot. The front brake pads are still the original ones. There are still no rattles or squeaks. It has better interior material than the '07 Camry. I am still getting approx. 23-25 MPG which is inline with (the old) EPA est. We only paid for one unexpected repair for the leaking rack and pinion. It's gonna take a miracle for it's replacement to beat this record.

Strong and very quiet V6 engine. Glass moon roof. Unbelievable reliability and unmatched build quality.

Folding outside mirrors. Standard alloy wheels.

The Perfect Car
By yayyyy

1997 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Everyday I'm impressed by some subtle ingenious design feature on this car, such as the clock display is brighter during the day than at night, or the moonroof still closes even after you take your key out of the ignition. I've never had a problem in the 110000 miles I've put on it, and I've even gone several thousand miles over the suggested oil change without issue. I was thinking of switching to a Saab but after reading those reviews I'm sticking with this Camry. It also has many luxury Lexus features like dual power seats, a quiet engine you can't hear, Harman Kardon sound system, etc. We have one Camry among five cars (two Audis, an Odyssey and a Corvette) and we fight over who drives the Camry every morning.

Conservative styling, very quiet V6, problem free, large trunk, dual power seats, headlights turn off when door is opened, Harman Kardon sound, high quality interior materials (better than our 2002 Audi), big moonroof, fairly fun to drive, great car. The Camry is clearly the best vehicle money can buy.

Hard headrests, not very bright headlights, paint looks less than stellar after ten years, highway cruising noise louder than I enjoy.

I love it!
By Norb

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Replaced one set of tires and brakes at 75000 miles, battery after 9 years. Had one check engine light (I didn't fasten the gas cap securely). Regular 3000 mile oil changes. One new headlight, license plate lights just this year. Dark green paint not a bit faded, fake wood trim on inside mottled/faded (only complaint). Best car I've ever owned, don't hesitate to go on long trips.

Comfortable seats (no breakdown), good eye sight on all sides, good pick-up when you hit the gas (4 cylinder).

My only complaint is the faded fake wood trim.

Safe car
By rb

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new, and had it til yesterday when my teen totaled it at 50 mph flipping it through a guard rail and into the woods. Both kids walked away from this crash with only minor injuries. Seat belts were on. It is clear that while the majority of the car is destroyed, the cabin is mostly intact. Air bags however did not deploy. Reliability was excellent, only problems were engine gasket leaking, and noisy front suspension that never actually had a problem (but sounded like it did). Anyway, we buy only Toyotas, and this model at least lived its life well.