Used 1997 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Reliable & quiet car
By th

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I enjoyed to drive my Camry 1997. Just to bring to the shop for regular maintenance, and fix 1x for the steering rod in last year (9 yrs & 5 months). It's is a fine, reliable, & quiet car. If someone ask me which car I will buy, I'll say another Camry!

Comfort ride, quiet inside.

Smart Shoes
By Joe

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Purchased my Camry about a year ago with 202k on it, up to 216k now. Let's see, only things outside of normal maintenance (such as brake fluid flush, replacement of plugs and the original wires, and new tires) have been the replacement of the EGR valve gasket and the replacement of the rear bumper after I was rear ended. The steering rack is on its last legs, and has hiccupped a few times in wet weather, but the Camry has never failed to get me from point A to point B. Handling is fine for a front drive sedan, and the clunking suspension is fine for since it bobs up and down less on the highway then ones in better condition.

Ergonomics are simple and well marked controls. Reliability.

Tauter suspension without the clunking.

Love This Baby
By happy camper

1997 Toyota Camry CE V6 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 6 years (V6 CE, 5 spd man tran). It is a gem. My likes are too long to list. Most important ones: fast & powerful (speedo shows 140, it does 140. Leave -hot- cars in dust. Unlike the Accord, I don't have to rev the engine to get going), brakes (4 wheel abs, great stopping distance), reliability, comfort & amenities, and cheap parts. Also, very well balanced, very stable in rain and snow. It has 182,000 miles, runs like new. I only changed the O2 sensor. Other stuff was regular maintenance. It is no Ferrari on curves but if you know the limits of the car and act accordingly it is a joy to drive.

Everything.

If maintenance is skipped you may have problems such as sludge in engine, suspension, and front end. but it is true for any car.

Best car I've ever owned
By evo

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

My only complaint is the suspension... it's terrible and so expensive to replace, but unless it's done, you'll pay on brakes. Very comfortable and great on trips, a little gutless these days through mountain passes and at 170000 I'm ready to move on... definitely replacing with another toyota. I've loved my camry.

Extreme reliability, only been in the shop twice, timing belt both times. Comfort.

Suspension could use a little more power (4cyl).

Great Car
By lmjones

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I got my Camry used two years ago, and it's been an exceptional car. It's slowly falling apart (console top came off, driver's door handle on outside off and inside is cracked and ready to come off, driver's window is off track, muffler's shot, shock housings shot, a few rust spots, dent on the rear quarter panel, etc.), but I'm pretty rough on my cars. Aside from the recalled engine issue (something's not sealed? I'm not sure, but it burns oil like no other, and when I take off a huge cloud of smoke comes out the back end), I've had no major work done on it. Great little car! I'll probably be getting a newer one (looking at '06 models) next year.

Reliability, style, hardiness.