1997 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
1997 TOYOTA CAMRY LE
By DIXON on 10/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

have had excellent reliability from the use of this vehicle. have performed periodic maintenance per the recommendations of the toyota manual ie. oil changes, replaced tires (6000 miles on new set), brakes replaced recently, battery replaced recently, paint on car is in good condition. has a couple of small dents on body. interior is in good condition - not worn looking. this car will provide very reliable service.

Read this before you purchase a Camry
By rickaroo1122 on 10/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan

I had purchased this car from my mother who had bought it brand new in 1997. It has been trouble since. One problem after another. Rebuilding its engine didn't help. Still blew a rod and basically had the whole engine built again. Get around 20 miles to the gallen highway driving. I drive it like a old lady and very rarley floor it. I am selling it and going with a acura. Somthing a little more reliable hopefully. Basically three engines in it and still runs bad. My vote is never by another Camry.

Great Dependable Auto - Bad Strut Mounts
By Grayfair on 04/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Great car, no problems even with 117,000 miles on it. Interior/Exterior are in mint condition. It drives nicer than most American made cars. I highly recommend the Camry, for as much use as we get out of it, it gives us no trouble. The Strut Mounts are bad. They start making the wheels rattle after awhile and need to be replaced. I paid $117.73 to have the front strut mounts replaced in 2002. Around 100k the windshield wipers don't go back to the closed position when you turn them off and stop in the middle of the window. I just wait until they are at the hood & turn off. Had timing belt changed at 70K & the 100k tune-up.

Good to Own
By Jamie Du on 04/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

Very quiet and Quicky Acceleration in Vechicle

Not all I expected
By filosnard on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought mine used with 33,000 miles on it, now have over 85,000. The V6 provides great power and better than average low-end torque. However, this car has never had the ride or handling I expected from this kind of vehicle. The handling is sloppy with lots of lean in the turns - even after replacing all 4 struts. The ride is quality is also much worse than I would expect for a car in this class. I've also had an undiagnosed thumping sound coming from the right, front wheel well ever since I've had the car. It sounds like shocks, but didn't go away when I replaced them.

Dependable, repeat suspension problems
By GMCONVERT on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

This is my third and most dissapointing Camry. Although I will never by American again, this car has had repetitive suspension problems. I bought the car new, have maintained it according to the manual and have never "beat" this car. I had the front struts replaced once under warranty and now at 80,000 miles, both the rear and front struts are shot. I'm looking at quite an expensive repair. Mechanically this car is sound but I miss my 95 Camry. Have doubts about buying another one.

Great Car
By DPO on 01/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Have had 225,000 miles with no oil use or leaks. Extremely satisified with dependability, and comfort.

This is a real Workhorse
By tsarang on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I got this vehicle at 30,000 miles . I have now 114,000 miles on it, no majour breakdowns/repair. did my regular 30000, 60000, 100000 service on time. changed timing belt and Oxygen sensor as preventative maintainence plus the regular Oil change every 8000 miles (I use only synthetic oil). This vehicle is a benchmark for reliability. Just recently we shifted from California to Florida and i drove almost 2500 miles nonstop with my family with the car Totally loaded with lugggage and other stuff !!!!. We encountered no problems and reached our destination safely. Thank you CAMRY!!!!

A decent value for your money
By CaMrYmAn on 12/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car just recently, because my parents have owned them for years now, and they seem to be great cars. I believe that the 4 cylinder can be a bit sluggish at times, but it pays off in gas mileage. The only other con I seem to find in my camry is the suspension. It's a bit rough on bumpy roads. The reliability can't be beat by any other when it comes to the engine. It never fails me. I have not one problem at 93,000 miles.

Too Many Problems
By kit3375 on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan

This car has been nothing but a problem since the second year of owenrship. The alternator has been replaced twice. Strut mounts replaced. (still makes awful noise) Axle had to be replaced. Leaks transmission fulid. Rotors replaced. Tires last no longer than a year. Had to disconnect alarm system because every time it rained the alarm would go off and we couldn't get it off. It's costing more to repair this car than what we paid for it. Don't ever buy CAMRY!!!!!!!