Used 1997 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Pleased
By Pleased

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Bought this LE with 63,000 miles on it and now have 173,200 and counting. Got nine years on original battery. I use synthetic oil and grease. Best MPG was 39.3 interstate out of Texas. Replaced timing belt @ 100,000 and all four struts @ 160,000. Ceramic disc pads and new rotors @ 150,000. Basic maintenance and this car just will not give up. My '90 Camry was @ 348,000 miles & was still running last year! Test drove a 2007 LXE & it isn't near the car my '97 is.

Favorite Features

MPG, reliability, workmanship

Suggested Improvements

Better headlights & struts

Doesn't get any better than this!
By dmsnms

1997 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

All I have to say is, my husband and I bought this at 122,000 miles, and we can't believe the incredible ride quality and comfort of this beautiful car! We replaced tires and brakes so far and this car just rides like a smooth dream. We have an 09 Civic, and I still prefer to drive this car! Roomy and spacious interior, even after 12 years the leather seats are immaculate, not a single rip or tear! Seriously, buy one of these and just fix it up, you won't be sorry.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, ROOMY interior (great for car seats), lovely ride.

Suggested Improvements

NONE

Very Trustworthy Car!!!
By Mrs. Taylor

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

My car was bought in 2003 while I was college. I still have the car. My husband and I both drive the car. It's not sporty but you can definitely depend on it. The only major repair was to only replace the transmission, but at 185,000 miles I didn't complain. Now at 201,000 miles, it continues to run strong.

Favorite Features

reliability, gas mileage and comfort

Suggested Improvements

very boring design

Bessie
By reb64mst59

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Always taught - buy new if you can and keep them until they can travel no more. My Camry still gets 32 mpg on the hwy and 24 in the city.

Favorite Features

excellent car, no problems, just a few needed simple repairs that didn't break the bank

Suggested Improvements

lost the added woodgrain after a few years, miss the dress up look it gave

Reliable of course
By beaver

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Very nice car! While it won't break any land speed records, it does have nice style, really nice interior, really nice all over, but what puts Toyota ahead of everyone else is reliability. I have put over 230,000 miles on it in 8 years (and missed oil changes here and there)! Repairs in that time: replaced the head gasket and have gone through 3 batteries and many tires.

Favorite Features

Lexus comfort, Toyota price and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Not the fastest car on the block, but wouldn't sacrifice that for mpg (27). Maybe figure out how to eliminate oil changes entirely. And maybe gas while they're at it.