Used 1997 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 117 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Simple Elegance
By Mike Pratt

1997 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

We inherited this car from my great aunt a few months ago. It only have 62K miles and hardly driven. After some new tires and brake pads it was fit for a king. It's a CE addiction so it has no bells and whistles. Not even cruise control, but it works great four new and young drivers alike. I love the car for it's easy to drive, handles like a dream, and is quieter then my van. - It may be a CE and my mother's car, but as a new driver I find this the perfect vehicle to start out in for its all I need - and I find it to be simplistic elegance.

The seats and interior are very ergonomic and comfortable. It is quiet and I do not mind the fact it hasn't cruise control - take off is quick and smooth.

It's a typical cookie cutter car from Japan and has the appeal as, 'a warm bucket of wall paper paste'

Toyotas are the best!
By TP

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

My 1997 Camry has over 200,000 miles on it and I love it. The only minor repair I had to do besides changing tires and brake pads, was replacing the timing belt and water pump back in 2001. But that repair was done at no cost because it was still under warranty. If you want a quality car, then look at Toyotas.

1997 Toyota Camry CE
By Curt

1997 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

The car runs great! I replaced the struts, brakes and timing belt at 60k, and have redone the brakes at 90K, continued with the scheduled oil changes and what a quality car. I purchased my first Camry in 1990 new and have not bought an American car since. Everything works on my 97 and I plan to keep it for 10 more years. A top quality vehicle.

quality, reliability and gas mileage

They have already made them in the new models.

Mixed Feelings
By camrydriver

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 80,000 miles and now it has 190,000. Started having problems about 2 years ago. Key wouldn't turn in ignition, $200 to fix. Now I have multiple oil leaks in the front & back of the engine. Radiator is cracked and timing belt needs to be replaced. Woodgrain is cracked and peeling. Rear door handle doesn't work from inside. Struts/shocks are bad. With all problems, it's never broken down and has taken me many miles. Not sure if I need to spend the $$ to get it repaired as it'll be more than it's worth right now. I'm torn b/c this is a good car. Mom's is 1 year newer and never any of these problems.

Quiet ride, good visibility, smooth steering, good gas mileage.

Been a good ride
By TexasOwner

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Bought it with 36k miles and now have over 200k. The car has held up nicely. Have had some brake issues that were corrected, struts have been junk since the day I bought it and required several change in tires through the years at around 20-25k mile intervals. Better than spending the 1k plus they wanted to repair. I have had to replace an axle, rack and pinion, door handles, roof liner, and a few other small things. Probably spent 2k through the years on maintenance. All in all we have been very pleased with Camry.

Seats are extremely comfortable. Gas mileage is a plus. Handles like a sports car.

Door handles, brake system and suspension.