1997 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
10+ yrs, 100+ miles - still going strong
By thc on 07/15/07 00:16 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

Since March, we've been looking to buy a new car to replace this 10 yo Camry. However, after months of search, we decided to keep it until it breaks. This car has been unbelievably reliable. After 10+ yrs and 100K, the V6 is still running strong exactly like the day I drove it off the dealer lot. The front brake pads are still the original ones. There are still no rattles or squeaks. It has better interior material than the '07 Camry. I am still getting approx. 23-25 MPG which is inline with (the old) EPA est. We only paid for one unexpected repair for the leaking rack and pinion. It's gonna take a miracle for it's replacement to beat this record.

The Perfect Car
By yayyyy on 06/05/07 12:37 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Everyday I'm impressed by some subtle ingenious design feature on this car, such as the clock display is brighter during the day than at night, or the moonroof still closes even after you take your key out of the ignition. I've never had a problem in the 110000 miles I've put on it, and I've even gone several thousand miles over the suggested oil change without issue. I was thinking of switching to a Saab but after reading those reviews I'm sticking with this Camry. It also has many luxury Lexus features like dual power seats, a quiet engine you can't hear, Harman Kardon sound system, etc. We have one Camry among five cars (two Audis, an Odyssey and a Corvette) and we fight over who drives the Camry every morning.

I love it!
By Norb on 06/02/07 14:15 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Replaced one set of tires and brakes at 75000 miles, battery after 9 years. Had one check engine light (I didn't fasten the gas cap securely). Regular 3000 mile oil changes. One new headlight, license plate lights just this year. Dark green paint not a bit faded, fake wood trim on inside mottled/faded (only complaint). Best car I've ever owned, don't hesitate to go on long trips.

Safe car
By rb on 04/14/07 04:40 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new, and had it til yesterday when my teen totaled it at 50 mph flipping it through a guard rail and into the woods. Both kids walked away from this crash with only minor injuries. Seat belts were on. It is clear that while the majority of the car is destroyed, the cabin is mostly intact. Air bags however did not deploy. Reliability was excellent, only problems were engine gasket leaking, and noisy front suspension that never actually had a problem (but sounded like it did). Anyway, we buy only Toyotas, and this model at least lived its life well.

Bad brakes
By JJB on 03/15/07 09:41 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

Had the Camry for about 7 years and it ran well the whole time. I did have to replace the brakes two times in 4 years. Also the alignment was always getting out of whack. First gear was a little tricky too, but that could have just been my car. Another thing to think about is the gas mileage - not as good as you would think. Spent a lot more on gas than I should have. All that aside it was a very reliable car, and the only real work I had to put into it was the brakes.

Reliable and Attractive
By Fran on 03/06/07 18:03 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

This is my 2nd Camry. I would definitely buy another. Only normal repairs & maintenance needed. Valve seals and head gasket all but cured a problem with excessive oil consumption problem at about 160k mi. There is no noticeable rust on the body and at 178k mi it still handles well. The biggest flaw is the seat belts that won't retract.

No wonder it's the best seller
By Hideyfish on 11/17/06 07:23 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

This was my first Toyota and I bought it for good design, durability, economy and reliability. It has more than rewarded me. It has 85,000 miles on it and I expect it to last another nine years. My ONLY complaint is some clunking suspension noise on rough pavement in cold weather. This car gets a reliable 30 MPG, cruises comfortably at 75 on the interstate, runs smoothly and quietly, handles like a sports car on back roads, and still has a new car fit, finish and feel after 9 years.

Camry
By Buffalo Driver on 08/20/06 15:22 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought it 4 years ago with 58K. Now it has 103+K. I had front suspension problems, drive axles as well. I replaced those the very same year, now the noise is coming back. I had to flush and clean the engine to get rid of smoke coming out of exhaust at cold starts. Otherwise it is fine. I am thinking about replacement but not sure if I will go with Camry again.

Great Car
By Ilya on 02/27/06 16:12 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I've driven about 33K over the last 3 years and the Camry now has 105K and running strong. There are a few minor problems (small leakage of power steering, shocks need to be replaced), but that would be the case for any car with this much mileage! Either way, still runs great! I've worked on upgrading it myself over the years and this car has survived my trials & tribulations!

My Baby
By BrockLanders on 02/13/06 14:06 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

Got this car from my parents in high school and now I have it at college with me. I've been waiting for this car to break so I can get less of a "Mom Car", but the car never has a problem. The only major repair in 9 years has been a strut replacement. That's it! The interior quality is impeccable, and the ride and cab noise are as good as my dad's lexus. Additionally, the spoiler, moon roof, and surprisingly powerful V6 do take a bit of the Mom Car edge off. I've honestly gotten her up to 130mph, which isn't so much me bragging about being an idiot, but a testament to this car's transcendence above the typical family sedan stereotype. All in all, its a fantastic car worth more than it's cost.