1997 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
Best car I have ever owned!
By Glenn on 05/05/10 03:41 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Great car no complaints, I live in Tx and we have all kinds of weather. I can trust my Camry in 6" of snow or 3" water and even mud! Back couple months ago we had a bad snow storm that brought about 8" of snow and of course mud after it melted, got the Camry stuck in 4" of mud and after 5 mins she got out by her self! Great transmission and strong V6. I would buy another 97' Camry. I love this car.

Way better than the 07 XLE V6
By SJTim on 03/21/10 05:18 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought new in 6/97 and have been extremely happy since. Been to the garage only twice for the steering leak and suspension. Still running strong at 155K as of 3/10. Got rear- ended in 07, legally totaled but mechanically perfect. Hoped a repeat experience and bought a top-of-the- line 07 XLE V6 w/Nev from the insurance money, but the 07 is no where close to this one in terms of build quality and had it traded in <3 yrs. Fortunately, I've kept this one. I'll keep it until it dies, if it ever happens. Too bad and sad, Toyota is not making Camry the same way any more. ATTENTION CURRENT OWNERS: Do yourself a favor, don't trade this 97 with a latest model of Camry. This one is unbeatable.

Resurrected Joy
By Speedy on 02/19/10 11:19 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought the '97 Camry in 1999 with 49000 miles on it. It always burned oil. The car drove great, never let me down for 8 years straight. In 2006, I had to get the front and rear seals replaced but was expected after 140000 miles. In 2007, we had a bad snowstorm in Cleveland. I floored the engine to get over a big snow bank in my driveway. Two days later the engine started knocking. It sat in my driveway for nearly three years before I finally replaced the engine. I am very happy I did. It is better to have an old car with great performance and gas mileage than a newer guzzler.

97 Toyota Camry = Bored Mechanic
By Michael on 01/21/10 08:13 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

This car has been in the family since day one in august of 1997 being my Mom's, then my Sister's and now it's mine. With 173,000 miles on it still running purrrrr-fect, still riding like a new cars this car has with- stood the test of time and still have lots more life in it. Repairs made have been typical maintenance, rear strut assemblies, a few light bulbs, an egr sensor, a battery, a power steering hose, and.... thats all I can think of being done in a 173,000 miles so we have 1 bored starving mechanic. Its a great ride high quality even used pick one up put about a grand in it and enjoy timeless reliability!!!

Simple Elegance
By Mike Pratt on 01/12/10 17:42 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

We inherited this car from my great aunt a few months ago. It only have 62K miles and hardly driven. After some new tires and brake pads it was fit for a king. It's a CE addiction so it has no bells and whistles. Not even cruise control, but it works great four new and young drivers alike. I love the car for it's easy to drive, handles like a dream, and is quieter then my van. - It may be a CE and my mother's car, but as a new driver I find this the perfect vehicle to start out in for its all I need - and I find it to be simplistic elegance.

Toyotas are the best!
By TP on 12/30/09 13:28 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

My 1997 Camry has over 200,000 miles on it and I love it. The only minor repair I had to do besides changing tires and brake pads, was replacing the timing belt and water pump back in 2001. But that repair was done at no cost because it was still under warranty. If you want a quality car, then look at Toyotas.

1997 Toyota Camry CE
By Curt on 12/16/09 18:52 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

The car runs great! I replaced the struts, brakes and timing belt at 60k, and have redone the brakes at 90K, continued with the scheduled oil changes and what a quality car. I purchased my first Camry in 1990 new and have not bought an American car since. Everything works on my 97 and I plan to keep it for 10 more years. A top quality vehicle.

Mixed Feelings
By camrydriver on 10/26/09 07:33 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 80,000 miles and now it has 190,000. Started having problems about 2 years ago. Key wouldn't turn in ignition, $200 to fix. Now I have multiple oil leaks in the front & back of the engine. Radiator is cracked and timing belt needs to be replaced. Woodgrain is cracked and peeling. Rear door handle doesn't work from inside. Struts/shocks are bad. With all problems, it's never broken down and has taken me many miles. Not sure if I need to spend the $$ to get it repaired as it'll be more than it's worth right now. I'm torn b/c this is a good car. Mom's is 1 year newer and never any of these problems.

Been a good ride
By TexasOwner on 07/08/09 10:36 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Bought it with 36k miles and now have over 200k. The car has held up nicely. Have had some brake issues that were corrected, struts have been junk since the day I bought it and required several change in tires through the years at around 20-25k mile intervals. Better than spending the 1k plus they wanted to repair. I have had to replace an axle, rack and pinion, door handles, roof liner, and a few other small things. Probably spent 2k through the years on maintenance. All in all we have been very pleased with Camry.

Pleased
By Pleased on 06/15/09 21:08 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Bought this LE with 63,000 miles on it and now have 173,200 and counting. Got nine years on original battery. I use synthetic oil and grease. Best MPG was 39.3 interstate out of Texas. Replaced timing belt @ 100,000 and all four struts @ 160,000. Ceramic disc pads and new rotors @ 150,000. Basic maintenance and this car just will not give up. My '90 Camry was @ 348,000 miles & was still running last year! Test drove a 2007 LXE & it isn't near the car my '97 is.