1997 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
Too many problems!
By discgem on 02/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

While I expected alot from Toyota, I did not expect to have the constant noisy brakes. I have replaced the brake pads at 60,000 and had one rotor turned at a cost of $400. I had to replace a fuel oxygen valve-=$200. And now I have to replace bad front shock block pads, as well as turning rod axles and boots at a cost of $1500!! This car is turning out to be a lemon.

Transmissions in 1997 models
By LewB on 01/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

This is the 5th Toyota that I have owned. I have always gotten at least 8 years of service from each. In this 1997 Camry, I have had to replace the power switch in the driver's door, and now my transmission is going. It is hard to believe that I am not going to get my usual 200,000 miles out of a Toyota.

SATISFIED WITH TOYOTA
By HAPPY CAR OWNER on 01/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I PURCHASED MY CAR BRAND NEW OVER 5 YEARS AGO AND HAVE 110,000 MILES ON IT. I HAVE ONLY HAD THE CAR IN FOR SCHEDULED SERVICE AND HAVE NEVER BEEN DISSAPOINTED BY MY TOYOTA. I WILL ONLY PURCHASE TOYOTA IN THE FUTURE.

Toyota Camry LE
By DanC. on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

We baught this car new and it has been a great car. We like the performance of the 4 cylender engine and the great gas milage. I was suprised at the power of the 4! It is very comfortable to drive. I am 6'2" and 220 lbs. and my wife is 5'2" and petite so it was had finding a car to match both of us. This is our 2nd Camry and we plan on buying another one when the time comes.

Wouldn't trade it for the world
By shortierocka1 on 01/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

My first time in a camery, smooth, clean ride, sturdy. I felt very comfortable with the power it gave and how safe it makes me feel. I have not had any problmes what so ever with the vehicle. Just keep your maintenence up & you could have this car for years to come!

Wow I'ts the perfect car
By Happyman on 10/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

My car has 245.900 miles. Only one time in a little repair. No more words. No better car in the world for that price.

The 1997 Camary XLE V6 is a great car
By Denise on 10/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1997 Camry brand new, and have had no problems out of it. I have 115,000 miles on it and it just had it's first tune up. The orginaly brakes and battery lasted until 90,000 miles noone could believe it. I have had some problems recently with the car smoking some, but we just switched to synthetic oil and I believe that could be the problem. It has been a great car.

Rare: 5 speed v6
By edos on 10/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan CE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 96,000 miles on it. Now has 104,000. Runs like new. I love the V6 power and 5 speed transmission. It is very quiet and comfortable on long trips. Good gas mileage. The only thing I noticed is the lower quality of small, unimportant parts inside the cabin such as loose air vents, weather strips on doors, etc. The mechanical and engine parts are fine. Great car.

My 2nd is Even Better!
By VCarvis on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

My 1st was an '85 4-cyl and I still have it... 270,000 and going. Not as comfortable anymore, but very reliable. I drive about 3,000 miles a month so I need a car that will get me there. Every Camry I've seen meets that description. I chose the 4-cyl 5- speed stick because I love to shift and they get the best mileage. The '97 CE is smooooth! In Texas there are lots of open roads and hills where I'm at. This car is just plain fun to drive! I got it with 122,000 miles and it rides almost like new. Still getting nearly 31mpg and purrs like a kitten.

This is a great car!
By lizzie on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car with only 52,000 miles on it. This car is very reliable, what do you expect? It's a Toyota. Took this vehicle for our vacation, and we put 3000 miles on it. We had absoulutely no problems! Temp stayed the same, A/C never quite, and the ride was comfortable! I've had no mechanical problems. One of the most reliable cars out there.