Used 1997 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Bad brakes
By JJB

1997 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

Had the Camry for about 7 years and it ran well the whole time. I did have to replace the brakes two times in 4 years. Also the alignment was always getting out of whack. First gear was a little tricky too, but that could have just been my car. Another thing to think about is the gas mileage - not as good as you would think. Spent a lot more on gas than I should have. All that aside it was a very reliable car, and the only real work I had to put into it was the brakes.

Favorite Features

Reliability.

Reliable and Attractive
By Fran

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

This is my 2nd Camry. I would definitely buy another. Only normal repairs & maintenance needed. Valve seals and head gasket all but cured a problem with excessive oil consumption problem at about 160k mi. There is no noticeable rust on the body and at 178k mi it still handles well. The biggest flaw is the seat belts that won't retract.

Favorite Features

I love my moonroof. I use it every day that it doesn't rain or snow. The driver's seat is adjustable for short (which I am) or tall even though it is not power.

Suggested Improvements

I considered the seat belt not retracting a safety issue. The driver's seat belt stopped retracting at about 45k mi. and I was not able to get a dealer or Toyota to repair it without charge.

No wonder it's the best seller
By Hideyfish

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

This was my first Toyota and I bought it for good design, durability, economy and reliability. It has more than rewarded me. It has 85,000 miles on it and I expect it to last another nine years. My ONLY complaint is some clunking suspension noise on rough pavement in cold weather. This car gets a reliable 30 MPG, cruises comfortably at 75 on the interstate, runs smoothly and quietly, handles like a sports car on back roads, and still has a new car fit, finish and feel after 9 years.

Favorite Features

Fit, finish, reliability, silence, ride, economy, looks, ergonomics. What's NOT to like?

Suggested Improvements

Fix the suspension design.

Camry
By Buffalo Driver

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought it 4 years ago with 58K. Now it has 103+K. I had front suspension problems, drive axles as well. I replaced those the very same year, now the noise is coming back. I had to flush and clean the engine to get rid of smoke coming out of exhaust at cold starts. Otherwise it is fine. I am thinking about replacement but not sure if I will go with Camry again.

Favorite Features

Comfort, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension, more hp.

Great Car
By Ilya

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I've driven about 33K over the last 3 years and the Camry now has 105K and running strong. There are a few minor problems (small leakage of power steering, shocks need to be replaced), but that would be the case for any car with this much mileage! Either way, still runs great! I've worked on upgrading it myself over the years and this car has survived my trials & tribulations!

Favorite Features

Pretty powerful engine, reliable, roomy, VERY SMOOTH, great quality craftsmanship overall!

Suggested Improvements

Rear tail lights look bland, not many performance or visual upgrade products out on the market.