1997 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
What a great car
By mytime66 on 08/19/13 12:13 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

While i was looking for a used car, i saw the ad for the 97 Toyota Camry, 46,190 miles. I went and looked at it as a little old lady kept it in her garage. It was great. I now have had it alittle over a year and has 47,650 miles on it. I couldn't have made a better choice in car and price.

Best car I have ever owned!
By Glenn on 05/05/10 03:41 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Great car no complaints, I live in Tx and we have all kinds of weather. I can trust my Camry in 6" of snow or 3" water and even mud! Back couple months ago we had a bad snow storm that brought about 8" of snow and of course mud after it melted, got the Camry stuck in 4" of mud and after 5 mins she got out by her self! Great transmission and strong V6. I would buy another 97' Camry. I love this car.

Doesn't get any better than this!
By dmsnms on 05/31/09 21:49 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

All I have to say is, my husband and I bought this at 122,000 miles, and we can't believe the incredible ride quality and comfort of this beautiful car! We replaced tires and brakes so far and this car just rides like a smooth dream. We have an 09 Civic, and I still prefer to drive this car! Roomy and spacious interior, even after 12 years the leather seats are immaculate, not a single rip or tear! Seriously, buy one of these and just fix it up, you won't be sorry.

The Perfect Car
By yayyyy on 06/05/07 12:37 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Everyday I'm impressed by some subtle ingenious design feature on this car, such as the clock display is brighter during the day than at night, or the moonroof still closes even after you take your key out of the ignition. I've never had a problem in the 110000 miles I've put on it, and I've even gone several thousand miles over the suggested oil change without issue. I was thinking of switching to a Saab but after reading those reviews I'm sticking with this Camry. It also has many luxury Lexus features like dual power seats, a quiet engine you can't hear, Harman Kardon sound system, etc. We have one Camry among five cars (two Audis, an Odyssey and a Corvette) and we fight over who drives the Camry every morning.

Camry is great
By theraywatcher on 07/06/05 00:26 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought my 1997 with 59,000 miles and have not looked back. Besides the oil changes and other "wear" maintainance, the only repair I had to do was a powersteering rack replacement. The car now has 112,000 and still going strong.

Not all I expected
By filosnard on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought mine used with 33,000 miles on it, now have over 85,000. The V6 provides great power and better than average low-end torque. However, this car has never had the ride or handling I expected from this kind of vehicle. The handling is sloppy with lots of lean in the turns - even after replacing all 4 struts. The ride is quality is also much worse than I would expect for a car in this class. I've also had an undiagnosed thumping sound coming from the right, front wheel well ever since I've had the car. It sounds like shocks, but didn't go away when I replaced them.

Poor Man's Lexus - A true Toyota
By XLE lover on 07/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Had this car for almost a year now and reads 98,000mi on it with no problems whatsoever. Just replaced the timing belt. there is a whining sound on the wheels that I don't seem to understand. The dealer said that the wheel bearing work fine and I replaced four new tires, and still the whining is still there. I compared it to my wife's Solara and she doesnt has this problem in her car.but like other consumers, engine is very quiet,strong, responsive and similar to the ES300, and the earlier Avalon models, if I am not mistaken. Excellent performance on the freeway. I never get tired of driving this car and I plan to keep this car forever!

Great Used Car
By ClayFromCarlisle on 06/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car a little over a year ago, and it has been an absolute joy to drive. Right now, the odometer reads 124,000 miles, and it looks, rides, and drives like it has 50,000 miles. As far as problems, there have been none except for a bad speaker. All maintenance has been performed on time. By the way, the oil sludge problem is highly overrated. There is an 8 year / unlimited mile warranty on suspect engines. Toyota has gone out of their way to ensure customer satisfaction. As far as the whiners who submit reviews, GET OVER IT. Cars cost money to maintain. The Camry is no exception. However, it has cost less than most cars on the market.

This is NOT a sporty car
By Filo Snard on 03/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Handling is woefully inadequate and ride quality is far less than I had expected from a Camry. I can feel every bump, divot and imperfection in the road. Replacing all four struts didn't help the problem. After owning this car less than 3 years, I am already planning its replacement, even though when I bought it I had planned to drive it for at least 6-10 years. On the positive side, it is very roomy and has a very comfortable interior design. Controls are thoughtfully layed out and cabin noise is very well controlled.

The 1997 Camary XLE V6 is a great car
By Denise on 10/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1997 Camry brand new, and have had no problems out of it. I have 115,000 miles on it and it just had it's first tune up. The orginaly brakes and battery lasted until 90,000 miles noone could believe it. I have had some problems recently with the car smoking some, but we just switched to synthetic oil and I believe that could be the problem. It has been a great car.