Used 1997 Toyota Camry XLE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Old trusty
By Dixie

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan

This car has been in the family since it was new. I have had it for the last eight years. Honestly, I neglect the poor thing mechanically. All I really do for it is change the oil. It has had a couple of $600.00+ repairs but is super-reliable even when neglected. Mine is over 160,000 right now and the engine is strong (even though some seals are a bit leaky). Kudos to Toyota for this model!

Favorite Features

All the controls are where they "should" be, and the car is very comfortable to drive and has excellent visibility.

Suggested Improvements

The interior doesn't hold up as well as the mechanical aspects. Then again, would you rather get there in a car with chipping wood grain, or sit by the side of the road in a lovely car?

Years and years of trouble-free driving
By Pat

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan

Brakes, tires, gas and oil are all this car has needed for 10 years/150k miles. It just keeps going, so my only complaint is boredom. The car is the most dependable I have owned and gets you from point A to point B, without much excitement along the way. I eventually had some front-end and suspension work done so that I can keep it as a second car. It feels like it still has several more years in it.

Favorite Features

Quiet engine. Dependable day in and day out. Trunk large enough for 3 golf bags.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise at highway speeds.

Read this before you purchase a Camry
By rickaroo1122

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan

I had purchased this car from my mother who had bought it brand new in 1997. It has been trouble since. One problem after another. Rebuilding its engine didn't help. Still blew a rod and basically had the whole engine built again. Get around 20 miles to the gallen highway driving. I drive it like a old lady and very rarley floor it. I am selling it and going with a acura. Somthing a little more reliable hopefully. Basically three engines in it and still runs bad. My vote is never by another Camry.

Suggested Improvements

Needs to be better built.

Too Many Problems
By kit3375

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan

This car has been nothing but a problem since the second year of owenrship. The alternator has been replaced twice. Strut mounts replaced. (still makes awful noise) Axle had to be replaced. Leaks transmission fulid. Rotors replaced. Tires last no longer than a year. Had to disconnect alarm system because every time it rained the alarm would go off and we couldn't get it off. It's costing more to repair this car than what we paid for it. Don't ever buy CAMRY!!!!!!!

Favorite Features

The body has held up well.

Suggested Improvements

The whole suspension system needs serious help!!!!!

Honda vs. Toyota
By geeman

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan

If you are like me, I was torn between the Honda Accord and the Toyota Camry. Both are very good cars, and you can't go wrong with either (probably). But the Accord is a bit more of a driver's car, it's handling a little stiffer and it's motor a little peppier (and a little noisier). Camry has a very smooth ride and is very quiet inside too. Camry owners have experienced some engine oil (sludge) problems, so if you choose an older model Camry, look inside the valve cover with a flashlight to look for black sludge. Also strut mount failures. You are looking at $250 per strut to fix!

Favorite Features

Very smooth and quiet ride. Very easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Fix engine propensity to sludge oil internally. Strut mounts are also a weak point. Most other car's strut mounts last the life of the car,why not Toyota?