Used 1997 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

What a great car
By mytime66

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

While i was looking for a used car, i saw the ad for the 97 Toyota Camry, 46,190 miles. I went and looked at it as a little old lady kept it in her garage. It was great. I now have had it alittle over a year and has 47,650 miles on it. I couldn't have made a better choice in car and price.

Favorite Features

warning lights, a/c

Suggested Improvements

warning light for electric window failure.

Love it
By Matthew Thomas Brodsack

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Ive had 2 camrys, a 99 and a 97. both are extremely reliable but ive had a couple of quirks with mine. i dont know if anyone else has had the problem. The starter wouldnt engage on either one from time to time, quick fix just tighten the cables on the starter. The other is the flex exhaust coming right of the headers burns out. Both of the issues happened to both of them. cheap quick fixes. Looking for a new one because the previous owner left my 97 sitting for over 2 years and it rotted the seals (would happen to any car) and i seem to pouring money to fixing seals here and there. My cars are just bad luck though, these have a record of going 300,000+ and i just wish my car was maintan

Favorite Features

gas millage interior smooth ride, practically floats solid transmission cheap maintenance roomy back seat quiet reliable motor

Suggested Improvements

wish the 2.2 had a little more power or at least aftermarket options. headlights fog heavy car, doesnt handle snow very well because it sits so low

Old Reliable...
By sgarland85

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I wrote a review awhile back on here, which was positive, but I think I need to re-iterate. I've had my Camry for 5 years and put on 65,00+ miles and it has not left me stranded once, period. I've had to replace a few things here and there, but mostly just routine maintenance is all she's needed. After 17 years her metallic paint is still shiny.

Favorite Features

Durability, quality, reliability, good in snow.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing, really. However I wish sometimes it was a hatchback.

Amazing!
By pastordy

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

Just bought my 1997 Camry with 129k miles after doing a lot of research. The unsurpassed reliability of these vehicles speak for themselves. I bought from the original owner who only replaced it because he bought a new one. I love the extra power of the V6. It's got a lot of pep. Not sure about mileage yet, but guessing somewhere in the low 20s. All I know if I've got a car with potentially another 150k or more to go. Can't beat that for what I paid. Thanks Toyota for making quality vehicles in a sea of mediocrity.

Favorite Features

Love the V6, ice cold air (necessary in AZ), alloy wheels, smooth transmission, beautiful interior

much better used
By budapest1

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

This is a good and reliable car.I've not owned it long.about 6k now and so far just had to replace the transmission seal gasket-$150.the struts upper spring seat(this is it)has to be replaced it's a 20 dollar part for each side (kyb)and the noise stops.http the part is here. ://www.ebay.com/itm/Monroe-Front-Left-Right-Upper-Strut-Mount-With-Bearing-/181103286083?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACamry&hash=item2a2a98d743&vxp=mtr.

Favorite Features

I ike the easy steering.the brakes are good but a bit touchy.engine uses oil and so it leaks an I heard a head gasket and a valve seat has to be replaced for that.

Suggested Improvements

make the steering more communicative.fix the oil leak and the suspension.It would be an very reliable if done so.