Used 1997 Toyota Camry CE V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

I hope it lasts 1 million miles
By my sweet baby

1997 Toyota Camry CE V6 4dr Sedan

I wrote a review about a year ago (happy camper). I am a nitpicking car nut who owned many different cars ranging from Lexus to MB. I know, price makes a difference. So it is stupid to compare a 150k car with a 20k one. BUT sometimes you get more than what you pay for. This car is it. Reading the reviews I can say that people are unfair or inaccurate in their evaluation. Some complain about changing oil, brakes, tires and belts. What??? Bottom line is, this is a great car; quiet, comfortable, powerful, good mpg + many-many amenities.

Favorite Features

everything.

Suggested Improvements

none.

Love This Baby
By happy camper

1997 Toyota Camry CE V6 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 6 years (V6 CE, 5 spd man tran). It is a gem. My likes are too long to list. Most important ones: fast & powerful (speedo shows 140, it does 140. Leave -hot- cars in dust. Unlike the Accord, I don't have to rev the engine to get going), brakes (4 wheel abs, great stopping distance), reliability, comfort & amenities, and cheap parts. Also, very well balanced, very stable in rain and snow. It has 182,000 miles, runs like new. I only changed the O2 sensor. Other stuff was regular maintenance. It is no Ferrari on curves but if you know the limits of the car and act accordingly it is a joy to drive.

Favorite Features

Everything.

Suggested Improvements

If maintenance is skipped you may have problems such as sludge in engine, suspension, and front end. but it is true for any car.

Solid FAMILY SEDAN (not sports car)
By RichieRich

1997 Toyota Camry CE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought this vehicle used, with 48,000 miles on it. Has been ultra-reliable (NO repairs other than an O2 sensor). Still drives like its brand new in spite of the 125,000 miles that are on it. Ride is excellent unless pushed hard. (excessive body roll, but this is not a sports car) Excellent balance of power and comfort. Very cheap to maintain. Seats do get uncomfortable for me on long trips. My Goodyear Assurance Triple-treads (tires) are a great match for this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Solid V6 Engine, Excellent ride, Unbeatable reliability

Suggested Improvements

Road noise is somewhat pronounced, rear cupholders are flimsy, gas mileage could be better, seats could be a little better.

Suspension is Horrible
By NoToToyo

1997 Toyota Camry CE V6 4dr Sedan

Just bought it used with low milage a few months back. So far they have changed; both lower control arms, all strut mounts, one wheel bearing and one strut... after all of this it still makes LOTS of suspension noise. A mechanic at the dealer says it is a problem accross the board with 97-2001 Camry's. As well, I've also heard of sludge problems on the V6 engine, great.

Favorite Features

Power of the V6

Suggested Improvements

Suspension is a joke.

Rare: 5 speed v6
By edos

1997 Toyota Camry CE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 96,000 miles on it. Now has 104,000. Runs like new. I love the V6 power and 5 speed transmission. It is very quiet and comfortable on long trips. Good gas mileage. The only thing I noticed is the lower quality of small, unimportant parts inside the cabin such as loose air vents, weather strips on doors, etc. The mechanical and engine parts are fine. Great car.

Favorite Features

power, transmission, passenger and trunk space, comfort