1997 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
I hope it lasts 1 million miles
By my sweet baby on 10/01/08 16:00 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry CE V6 4dr Sedan

I wrote a review about a year ago (happy camper). I am a nitpicking car nut who owned many different cars ranging from Lexus to MB. I know, price makes a difference. So it is stupid to compare a 150k car with a 20k one. BUT sometimes you get more than what you pay for. This car is it. Reading the reviews I can say that people are unfair or inaccurate in their evaluation. Some complain about changing oil, brakes, tires and belts. What??? Bottom line is, this is a great car; quiet, comfortable, powerful, good mpg + many-many amenities.

Love This Baby
By happy camper on 10/28/07 08:23 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry CE V6 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 6 years (V6 CE, 5 spd man tran). It is a gem. My likes are too long to list. Most important ones: fast & powerful (speedo shows 140, it does 140. Leave -hot- cars in dust. Unlike the Accord, I don't have to rev the engine to get going), brakes (4 wheel abs, great stopping distance), reliability, comfort & amenities, and cheap parts. Also, very well balanced, very stable in rain and snow. It has 182,000 miles, runs like new. I only changed the O2 sensor. Other stuff was regular maintenance. It is no Ferrari on curves but if you know the limits of the car and act accordingly it is a joy to drive.

Solid FAMILY SEDAN (not sports car)
By RichieRich on 05/25/05 13:29 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry CE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought this vehicle used, with 48,000 miles on it. Has been ultra-reliable (NO repairs other than an O2 sensor). Still drives like its brand new in spite of the 125,000 miles that are on it. Ride is excellent unless pushed hard. (excessive body roll, but this is not a sports car) Excellent balance of power and comfort. Very cheap to maintain. Seats do get uncomfortable for me on long trips. My Goodyear Assurance Triple-treads (tires) are a great match for this vehicle.

Suspension is Horrible
By NoToToyo on 04/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry CE V6 4dr Sedan

Just bought it used with low milage a few months back. So far they have changed; both lower control arms, all strut mounts, one wheel bearing and one strut... after all of this it still makes LOTS of suspension noise. A mechanic at the dealer says it is a problem accross the board with 97-2001 Camry's. As well, I've also heard of sludge problems on the V6 engine, great.

Rare: 5 speed v6
By edos on 10/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry CE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 96,000 miles on it. Now has 104,000. Runs like new. I love the V6 power and 5 speed transmission. It is very quiet and comfortable on long trips. Good gas mileage. The only thing I noticed is the lower quality of small, unimportant parts inside the cabin such as loose air vents, weather strips on doors, etc. The mechanical and engine parts are fine. Great car.