Used 1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Amazing!
By pastordy

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

Just bought my 1997 Camry with 129k miles after doing a lot of research. The unsurpassed reliability of these vehicles speak for themselves. I bought from the original owner who only replaced it because he bought a new one. I love the extra power of the V6. It's got a lot of pep. Not sure about mileage yet, but guessing somewhere in the low 20s. All I know if I've got a car with potentially another 150k or more to go. Can't beat that for what I paid. Thanks Toyota for making quality vehicles in a sea of mediocrity.

Favorite Features

Love the V6, ice cold air (necessary in AZ), alloy wheels, smooth transmission, beautiful interior

Way better than the 07 XLE V6
By SJTim

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought new in 6/97 and have been extremely happy since. Been to the garage only twice for the steering leak and suspension. Still running strong at 155K as of 3/10. Got rear- ended in 07, legally totaled but mechanically perfect. Hoped a repeat experience and bought a top-of-the- line 07 XLE V6 w/Nev from the insurance money, but the 07 is no where close to this one in terms of build quality and had it traded in <3 yrs. Fortunately, I've kept this one. I'll keep it until it dies, if it ever happens. Too bad and sad, Toyota is not making Camry the same way any more. ATTENTION CURRENT OWNERS: Do yourself a favor, don't trade this 97 with a latest model of Camry. This one is unbeatable.

Favorite Features

Very quiet V6. Top grade interior material even by 2010 standards. Reliability. Full length removable floor mat runs under the gas pedal.

Suggested Improvements

Folding outside mirrors. Better OE tires(General).

97 Toyota Camry = Bored Mechanic
By Michael

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

This car has been in the family since day one in august of 1997 being my Mom's, then my Sister's and now it's mine. With 173,000 miles on it still running purrrrr-fect, still riding like a new cars this car has with- stood the test of time and still have lots more life in it. Repairs made have been typical maintenance, rear strut assemblies, a few light bulbs, an egr sensor, a battery, a power steering hose, and.... thats all I can think of being done in a 173,000 miles so we have 1 bored starving mechanic. Its a great ride high quality even used pick one up put about a grand in it and enjoy timeless reliability!!!

Favorite Features

High Reliability!!! Very Few Repairs!!! Leather seats, Cruise Control, Power Everything, Sunroof. If you were to search "Best Car" in the dictionary there should be a picture of this one!!

Suggested Improvements

Exterior door handles break after about 150,000 miles or so, the white paint fades quickly to dull shine, So if you have a white one paint fade happens to them all, Other colors seem to be good.

2ndTimeAround
By LanePie

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

I am the 2nd owner of this great Camry. I bought it with 114,200 miles and drove it to 159,000 miles with no problems at all. The first owner kept all maintenance up and I followed. Unfortunately my husband with involved in a hit and run. The car was totaled and both airbags deployed. The car really looked like a pancake, but my husband walked away. It saved his life. I never had one problem with it except for the brake light going out. I drove 44,800 with not even one problem. Last but not least I loved my Camry. I will most definitely buy another one over and over. We still own a 2007 Camry. We had a 10 year difference in Camrys and I still preferred my 1997. The V6 power was great.

Favorite Features

V6 power was wonderful. It never was left behind on freeways or hills. The leather seats were in excellent condition. No rips, tears, or any damage. The trunk is very roomy. I drove to Vegas twice with no problems going over the hills or the speed limit.

Suggested Improvements

I only would recommend the lights to be glass instead of plastic. They were too foggy (dim) and not clear. I wish it had a CD player. But, I had a 6 CD changer.

OK ride
By mac

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

Watch the strut mounts, they are making the noise, not the struts. Don't let the mechanic get away with just struts, needs the mounts too to stop the noise. I bought this from a friend who got it new, now have 163K on it and runs great. Love the engine and transmission, suspension is awful, front and rear. 50/50 highway/city 23 mpg, have gotten up to 27. Geared too low for good mileage but has good pick up due to this. Just change the oil regularly and timing chain, water pump, plugs and belts every 100K and drive it everyday, through the rattles from the suspension. Turn the radio up and drown it out. $2000 and 80,000 miles not a bad deal. Still going.

Favorite Features

Engine, acceleration, solid cabin and quiet. Runs every day.

Suggested Improvements

Struts and mounts are junk, even with high $ struts it can get pretty unsettled over rough road. Parts are high, go to ebay and then find a good mechanic.