1997 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
Amazing!
By pastordy on 07/16/12 07:01 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

Just bought my 1997 Camry with 129k miles after doing a lot of research. The unsurpassed reliability of these vehicles speak for themselves. I bought from the original owner who only replaced it because he bought a new one. I love the extra power of the V6. It's got a lot of pep. Not sure about mileage yet, but guessing somewhere in the low 20s. All I know if I've got a car with potentially another 150k or more to go. Can't beat that for what I paid. Thanks Toyota for making quality vehicles in a sea of mediocrity.

Way better than the 07 XLE V6
By SJTim on 03/21/10 05:18 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought new in 6/97 and have been extremely happy since. Been to the garage only twice for the steering leak and suspension. Still running strong at 155K as of 3/10. Got rear- ended in 07, legally totaled but mechanically perfect. Hoped a repeat experience and bought a top-of-the- line 07 XLE V6 w/Nev from the insurance money, but the 07 is no where close to this one in terms of build quality and had it traded in <3 yrs. Fortunately, I've kept this one. I'll keep it until it dies, if it ever happens. Too bad and sad, Toyota is not making Camry the same way any more. ATTENTION CURRENT OWNERS: Do yourself a favor, don't trade this 97 with a latest model of Camry. This one is unbeatable.

97 Toyota Camry = Bored Mechanic
By Michael on 01/21/10 08:13 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

This car has been in the family since day one in august of 1997 being my Mom's, then my Sister's and now it's mine. With 173,000 miles on it still running purrrrr-fect, still riding like a new cars this car has with- stood the test of time and still have lots more life in it. Repairs made have been typical maintenance, rear strut assemblies, a few light bulbs, an egr sensor, a battery, a power steering hose, and.... thats all I can think of being done in a 173,000 miles so we have 1 bored starving mechanic. Its a great ride high quality even used pick one up put about a grand in it and enjoy timeless reliability!!!

2ndTimeAround
By LanePie on 01/16/09 15:53 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

I am the 2nd owner of this great Camry. I bought it with 114,200 miles and drove it to 159,000 miles with no problems at all. The first owner kept all maintenance up and I followed. Unfortunately my husband with involved in a hit and run. The car was totaled and both airbags deployed. The car really looked like a pancake, but my husband walked away. It saved his life. I never had one problem with it except for the brake light going out. I drove 44,800 with not even one problem. Last but not least I loved my Camry. I will most definitely buy another one over and over. We still own a 2007 Camry. We had a 10 year difference in Camrys and I still preferred my 1997. The V6 power was great.

OK ride
By mac on 08/15/07 19:57 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

Watch the strut mounts, they are making the noise, not the struts. Don't let the mechanic get away with just struts, needs the mounts too to stop the noise. I bought this from a friend who got it new, now have 163K on it and runs great. Love the engine and transmission, suspension is awful, front and rear. 50/50 highway/city 23 mpg, have gotten up to 27. Geared too low for good mileage but has good pick up due to this. Just change the oil regularly and timing chain, water pump, plugs and belts every 100K and drive it everyday, through the rattles from the suspension. Turn the radio up and drown it out. $2000 and 80,000 miles not a bad deal. Still going.

It's a keeper
By Sue on 07/17/07 00:16 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my Camry new. During the first 5 years I had to spend some money on unreasonable problems like a clunking noise that sounds like the car was falling apart. My mechanic told me it's a manufacturer defect but the manufacturer didn't recall because it's not a safety issue. I spent about $300 to fix this problem because it really bothered me. There were some other strange problems but now at 120,000 miles it runs great. I do regular oil change and tune up and replaced the water pump and timing belt at 90K. Also replaced the tires twice and brakes. I just spent $250 for a full service wax and now it's shining like new! I'm planning to keep it.

10+ yrs, 100+ miles - still going strong
By thc on 07/15/07 00:16 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

Since March, we've been looking to buy a new car to replace this 10 yo Camry. However, after months of search, we decided to keep it until it breaks. This car has been unbelievably reliable. After 10+ yrs and 100K, the V6 is still running strong exactly like the day I drove it off the dealer lot. The front brake pads are still the original ones. There are still no rattles or squeaks. It has better interior material than the '07 Camry. I am still getting approx. 23-25 MPG which is inline with (the old) EPA est. We only paid for one unexpected repair for the leaking rack and pinion. It's gonna take a miracle for it's replacement to beat this record.

Safe car
By rb on 04/14/07 04:40 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new, and had it til yesterday when my teen totaled it at 50 mph flipping it through a guard rail and into the woods. Both kids walked away from this crash with only minor injuries. Seat belts were on. It is clear that while the majority of the car is destroyed, the cabin is mostly intact. Air bags however did not deploy. Reliability was excellent, only problems were engine gasket leaking, and noisy front suspension that never actually had a problem (but sounded like it did). Anyway, we buy only Toyotas, and this model at least lived its life well.

My Baby
By BrockLanders on 02/13/06 14:06 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

Got this car from my parents in high school and now I have it at college with me. I've been waiting for this car to break so I can get less of a "Mom Car", but the car never has a problem. The only major repair in 9 years has been a strut replacement. That's it! The interior quality is impeccable, and the ride and cab noise are as good as my dad's lexus. Additionally, the spoiler, moon roof, and surprisingly powerful V6 do take a bit of the Mom Car edge off. I've honestly gotten her up to 130mph, which isn't so much me bragging about being an idiot, but a testament to this car's transcendence above the typical family sedan stereotype. All in all, its a fantastic car worth more than it's cost.

Fast Car!!!
By Nate on 08/15/05 11:53 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

I am the 2nd owner of my 97 Camry V6, and it has over 145,000 miles on it and it still runs great. The only work I have done on this car is replaced the A/C compressor, and the brakes re- done. I love the V6, it makes the car much faster than the model with the 4 in it.