1997 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
200,000 and still going strong
By jason1974mgb on 04/23/11 10:18 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

As a car guy I never thought I would buy a normal commuter car, but this car rocks, I bought it at 150,000 last year and have put 50k on it so far, at about 190,000 the original shocks finally gave out. for what it is (4cyl manual trans) its actually quite peppy, handles well enough to not be boring, and still gets 31mpg combined city / highway, and only uses about 1/2 quart of oil between oil changes. the only problems I have had with it are the prior mentioned shocks, and the actuator that selects where the air should go inside the car has stopped working. I will run this thing until the wheels fall off then buy another one, hopefully a convertible.

Simple Elegance
By Mike Pratt on 01/12/10 17:42 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

We inherited this car from my great aunt a few months ago. It only have 62K miles and hardly driven. After some new tires and brake pads it was fit for a king. It's a CE addiction so it has no bells and whistles. Not even cruise control, but it works great four new and young drivers alike. I love the car for it's easy to drive, handles like a dream, and is quieter then my van. - It may be a CE and my mother's car, but as a new driver I find this the perfect vehicle to start out in for its all I need - and I find it to be simplistic elegance.

1997 Toyota Camry CE
By Curt on 12/16/09 18:52 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

The car runs great! I replaced the struts, brakes and timing belt at 60k, and have redone the brakes at 90K, continued with the scheduled oil changes and what a quality car. I purchased my first Camry in 1990 new and have not bought an American car since. Everything works on my 97 and I plan to keep it for 10 more years. A top quality vehicle.

Bad brakes
By JJB on 03/15/07 09:41 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

Had the Camry for about 7 years and it ran well the whole time. I did have to replace the brakes two times in 4 years. Also the alignment was always getting out of whack. First gear was a little tricky too, but that could have just been my car. Another thing to think about is the gas mileage - not as good as you would think. Spent a lot more on gas than I should have. All that aside it was a very reliable car, and the only real work I had to put into it was the brakes.

My 2nd is Even Better!
By VCarvis on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

My 1st was an '85 4-cyl and I still have it... 270,000 and going. Not as comfortable anymore, but very reliable. I drive about 3,000 miles a month so I need a car that will get me there. Every Camry I've seen meets that description. I chose the 4-cyl 5- speed stick because I love to shift and they get the best mileage. The '97 CE is smooooth! In Texas there are lots of open roads and hills where I'm at. This car is just plain fun to drive! I got it with 122,000 miles and it rides almost like new. Still getting nearly 31mpg and purrs like a kitten.

This is a great car!
By lizzie on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car with only 52,000 miles on it. This car is very reliable, what do you expect? It's a Toyota. Took this vehicle for our vacation, and we put 3000 miles on it. We had absoulutely no problems! Temp stayed the same, A/C never quite, and the ride was comfortable! I've had no mechanical problems. One of the most reliable cars out there.