1996 Toyota Camry Consumer Review: Good Bet

1996 Toyota Camry - Consumer Review

LE Sedan (2.2L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

Good Bet
By Japanesecarlover on

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Bought the car with 114,000 miles on it and it runs better than all my friends' cars with fewer miles. The interior ergonomics are to notch and so is the comfort. I drove it from Denver to Portland Oregon and it was a joy the entire time. The four cylinder purrs at idle and gives a satifying note on hard accel. (The engine is a version of an old Celica engine.) In Oregon, the acceleration of the 4 cyl is good, but at high altitude, such as in Colorado, it is lacking. This is something to take in to consideration. I would suggest getting the silky-smooth V6. The economy of the V6 is comparable to the 4 cyl. Body roll is moderate. Suited more for a comfortable ride, not a sporty one.

Quiet ride, good stock stereo, great ergonomics, comfort, smooth auto transmission, Toyota reliability (despite nay-sayers) classic, under- the-radar styling, trunk space, most refined four cylinder I've driven.

Mine has developed some rattles in each door that drive me completely bats, larger cup holders, offer a sportier version with a manual and stiffer suspension and gruffer looks.