Don't BUY
By sammy aziz on
1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan
I got this car from my sister at 160k and it dies at 185k. It's a horrible car. I had to replace the following 1. timing belt and water pump 2. front left brake, rotor, caliper, axle 3. engine mounts (top and bottom) 4. window motor 5. door handle 6. paint job. The car had numerous more problems. My Toyota celica 1992 did better. I wish I had kept it.
By shambockadee
on 04/29/12 20:32 PM (PDT)

Sounds like you acrued the expenses for a Camry that had not been regularly maintained(maybe even abused). When was the timing belt last replaced? Did you ask your sister? Motor mounts wore out at 185,000 miles-normal. I have three Camrys from 140,000 to 239,000-with regular upkeep they are the energizer bunny car- that's with regular upkeep. I hope you didn't pay your sister for it. She's the one that may be responsible for your poor experience with the Camry. I know Camrys and the first clue of poor maintainence-1. Timing belt 2. Water pump- You will have additional problems if the mechanic did not replace the camshaft seal, tensioners, pulleys, oil pump seal etc. while having apart that left side of the engine.