1996 Toyota Camry Consumer Review: Do Not Hesitate - Best Car I'v

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Review

Do Not Hesitate - Best Car I've Owned
By Dan on

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

My wife bought this car before we were married for $6000 w/ 50K miles on it from an older woman. It now has 140,000 miles. We have taken it on old forest service roads and through small streams, packed to the brim with camping gear and a canoe strapped on top. It is comfortable and reliable - I *never* worry about breaking down or repair costs with this car. In 90K miles we have done the regular maintenance and service: timing belt & water pump, spark plugs and wires, and oil changes. Other than that, we had to replace a seal on the final drive unit and both CV boots. Overall, $1500 worth of repairs and maintenance for 90K miles of hard driving. Simply the best car we have owned.

Favorite Features

The car is versatile. The 4 cyl engine is bullet proof, and can still take us over the mountains with hundreds of pounds of gear and a full tank of gas.

Suggested Improvements

While it hasn't happened to us, I have heard that the rear brake lights can have issues. The trunk is notorious for leaking small amounts of water into it, as well.