Used 1996 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Great beater or first car (96 camry LE)
By Jeff

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

My dad got me this car when I was 17. It was truly a bargain at $3300. Even though it had 91000 miles, it still runs great. The only problem was that a window did not work. But that isn't too bad. The power isn't great with only 125hp but it uses high revs to maintain better acceleration. It is great with gas and also very reliable. A year ago, my dad brought a 04 camry. It is crazy how much it didn't change since my 96 camry. If you are looking for a cheap car, make sure you get one that lasts. And I believe the camry fits this description.

Favorite Features

High revs, spacious interior, and decent pickup. Also, I like the rear view of the car. Easy maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Instead of plastic painted rims, they should have used alloy. My dashboard is starting to fade (still great for a ten year old car).

incredible
By kayli

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Have had Corolla and Mazda GLC, and neither was as reliable as this car. In ten years I've replaced tires, brakes, batteries, a starter and the hydraulic drive things and that's it.

Suggested Improvements

drink holders are lousy.

It was a dream car
By Jay Dee

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

This has been a dream car. Very few problems so far (140,000 miles). Roomy enough for our family, 31 mpg, etc. etc.

Favorite Features

Reliability, Comfort when driving, Looks

Good Bet
By Japanesecarlover

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Bought the car with 114,000 miles on it and it runs better than all my friends' cars with fewer miles. The interior ergonomics are to notch and so is the comfort. I drove it from Denver to Portland Oregon and it was a joy the entire time. The four cylinder purrs at idle and gives a satifying note on hard accel. (The engine is a version of an old Celica engine.) In Oregon, the acceleration of the 4 cyl is good, but at high altitude, such as in Colorado, it is lacking. This is something to take in to consideration. I would suggest getting the silky-smooth V6. The economy of the V6 is comparable to the 4 cyl. Body roll is moderate. Suited more for a comfortable ride, not a sporty one.

Favorite Features

Quiet ride, good stock stereo, great ergonomics, comfort, smooth auto transmission, Toyota reliability (despite nay-sayers) classic, under- the-radar styling, trunk space, most refined four cylinder I've driven.

Suggested Improvements

Mine has developed some rattles in each door that drive me completely bats, larger cup holders, offer a sportier version with a manual and stiffer suspension and gruffer looks.

Almost at 200,000 miles!
By Mike B

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I got this car in 2001 when it had ~106k miles. So, I've driven it just about 90k miles in 5 years. The major items I've replaced are as follows: struts, clutch, motor mounts, starter, harmonic balancer pulley, main engine seal, oil pan gasket, valve cover seal, spark plug o-rings (grommets), CV joints. Currently, the check engine light is on because the catalytic converter needs to be replaced ($1,200 at the dealer) and the rack-and-pinion steering system needs to be replaced ($700 at dealer) Overall, though, this car has been great! With the mileage it has, the seals and clutch repairs are not unexpected. However, the car is definitely starting to feel like a high-mileage ride..

Favorite Features

Seats are reasonably comfortable. A/C still kicks out meat-locker quality air! Trunk is very roomy.

Suggested Improvements

As mentioned in another review, when the trunk is opened after it's been raining, water pours inside the car. The fuel mileage could be better (more in the 25 - 30 range in the city for the 4-cylinder). Also, my driver's side door handle broke off once when I was opening the door...cheap plastics