1996 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
Reliable and Boring
By a camry owner on 04/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

This Camry is a nice comfortable, reliable pretty boring car! I liked the dashboard design when I got it and I still do. The ride is a bit softer than I prefer. Not what I'd call sporty. But, this is a nice reliable vehicle except for one thing. The handling is completely unacceptable in the snow!

Camry
By Trick6960 on 04/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

My girlfriend and I have had our Camry v6 XLE for almost two years and all we have had to do is change the oil and the driver side cv axel. It drives great, handles great, has enough power to keep up with everybody, and its just fun.

"Leak City" at 85,000
By myalex08 on 04/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

It developed a major transmisssion leak and rear main engine seal leak,head gasket leak at approx 90000 miles. These were very expensive repairs as the entire front subframe had to be removed,transmission dropped.Almost all seals and gaskets in engine have been replaced. Great riding car though and 'till this year, engine reliable.Extended warranty proved to be ambiguous.

Are you in?
By cecep on 11/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

This is a great car overall! Great gas milage, Great reliability, Though the good gas milage sacrafices power!

95 V6 LE
By camry on 11/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

Drive very quiet but boring. Front seats are uncomfortable, no lumbar support. I had to replace Axles and rack and pinion at 80K miles. Cassette died at 70K miles. Some engine oil leak and power steering oil leak. Very bad experience with Camry, never go for Camry again. Tip: Get a 4 cylinders Camry, it's better and maintence is cheaper.

Big problems cropping up
By grillman on 10/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Camry new in 1996 and it's been pretty solid until this year. It developed a major transmisssion leak and rear main engine seal leak at 85000 miles. This is a very expensive repair as the entire front subframe had to be removed to fix the leaks. Now the steering rack is leaking and this is another $500 repair. So much for Toyota QUALITY and RELIABILTY. No vehicle with this mileage should have these problems. I tried to get Toyota to pick up some of the cost for these repairs and they basically blew me off. This is my last Toyota.

review
By Sofashack on 10/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

EXCELLENT! AFTER 123000 MILES IT STILL DRIVES LIKE THE DAY IT WAS BORN!

Camry is a classic
By Bushman on 09/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

Had the car 4 years and still drives like the day I bought it. V6 has plenty of power and transmission is silky smooth. No problems at all at 110,000 km's, except power antenna.

camry 96
By Smartstream on 09/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

One of the best reliable cars i have ever driven.

Above Reproach
By watts on 08/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

From a reliability/quality standpoint, this car has been above reproach. Haven't even had to replace the brakes (78K miles so far). Every thing has always worked. Never had to do anything but change the oil and do scheduled service. Could use more power, but my wife doesn't care (she's the primary driver). If I were to buy one for myself, I'd have a V6. The Camry's predecessor in our household was a Jetta (also purchased new). I will never never never go back!