Used 1996 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Most Helpful|
Better than new
By Dylan

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan Collector V6 4dr Sedan

Bought in '05 with 148000 kms in perfect condition. Very well built (much better than most new cars), incredibly reliable, but a bit boring. The V6 is very smooth and quiet but it lacks low end torque and seems to bog if you step on it. Ride is very smooth but floaty and needs to be more controlled. Steering is not very sharp. Tranny shifts well most of the time, but short shifts in normal mode and hangs on to revs too much in power mode. Quality of materials and build is awesome. Leather is excellent quality but front seat padding is hard and pinches the thighs. Overall a very good car with some minor shortcomings.

Favorite Features

Reliability, build quality, smooth and quiet, up to 37mpg (imp gals) on the hwy, feels like it will last forever.

Suggested Improvements

Boring to drive, engine lacks torque, ride should be as smooth yet be much more controlled, front driver's seat is hard and uncomfortable, poor headroom with sunroof, not as quiet as some newer vehicles (to be expected).

Great reliable car with over 200K miles
By iluvdodgetrx

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car about 9 months and I bought it for $700. I did some normal and much needed routine maintenance on it and it has never let me down. I have almost 211,000 miles on it and I expect many more

Favorite Features

reliable, comfortable ride, economical

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders are too small

some problems; overall great car
By edmundsmikepla

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this 1996 3 years ago. The problems I've had: had to replace radiator- blew a hole in it, and got towed; replaced coolant temp. sensor gage- was reading faulty temperatures; replaced door handles, some inside and outside- were broken; some small vibration in the steering wheel, on and off. Overall very good reliability, maybe not pretty.

Favorite Features

Reliability under-hood. Good engine and transmission. AC still works. Good heating.

Suggested Improvements

More power, but for 4 cyl, 1996, not bad.

225,000 miles, runs fine
By troyboy4

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought my 96 LE V6 used with 32,000 miles - today it has 225,000 and still runs good. I have been waiting for some major repair to come-up, but it has never happened. original engine and transmission - repairs have been - power steering hoses, cv boots, water pump, starter- that's about it nothing major. excellent - glad I bought the V6, I think they last longer than the 4 bangers

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats (unlike the rock hard honda seats) smooth, powerfull quiet ride - If this EXACT car was for sale new today, I would buy it again- so I would have a great reliable car for another 13 years -

Suggested Improvements

Keep making toyotas like you did back in 1996.

Gas Saver & Builded to Last
By Dujox

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Got this car with 116,000 on it. Paid 2800.00.The same day the car overheated. Keep the car anyway. Changed the head block, radiator, water pump and most of the cooling system. Since it has been the Dream Car, seriously. Just regular serviced: change oil & filter. Great with gas and also very reliable. If you need a cheap car, make sure you get one that lasts. And I believe the Camry fits this description, without hypes.

Favorite Features

Gas saver. Power windows. Big trunk. Build to last. Roomy. Start even below 18 inches of snow.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control. Cigarette lighting on the back sit.