Used 1996 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Great Vehicle!
By thinklingsbird

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this 13 months ago from a friend of mine for a mere $1,500. It had about 148K on it and I've put probably 15K on it since. Within the past year I've had to change a battery, replace a cooling fan, and that's about it. Nothing major. It starts up every time and runs great. I get roughly 30mpg on the highway and 20-something around town. It's not a beauty, but it's certainly a great car for its utility.

Gas mileage. Reliability.

Can't get much better for what it is.

Never Own Another Toyota
By NoMoreToyotas

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in July of 2007 with 114k miles. The car made it to 148k miles. Once it reached that point, I pumped approximately $5,000.00 into it. I replaced the timing belt, water pump, fuel pump, new rotors (twice in the time I owned it), 3 new sets of tires, plugs, axles, and last but not least, the transmission. I have had to replace other things, but those were the big ones. The paint job is the worst I have ever seen and the door handles have a curious habit of snapping off. I don't drive like a kid, so I think operator error is minimal. The car just died yesterday and this time, it's anyone's guess what the problem is. If you are thinking of getting a Toyota Camry, FORGET IT

Comfort.

The entire car.

Best Car EVER
By R. Backer

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Without a doubt this Camry is the finest machine I've ever owned in more than 50 years of driving. It gets 33 miles per gallon on trips and has cost nothing beyond the routine, and even that has been minimal. Reliability is 100%. I put 104 thousand miles on it so far and will probably end up giving it to my grandson although I'll probably keep it 'til I die. Outstanding car period! (Not a speck of rust on it despite being outside for 13 years.)

Reliability. And everything else. (I'm totally biased.)

If only the front seats were a bit longer for the thighs--because of my height.

Don't BUY
By sammy aziz

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I got this car from my sister at 160k and it dies at 185k. It's a horrible car. I had to replace the following 1. timing belt and water pump 2. front left brake, rotor, caliper, axle 3. engine mounts (top and bottom) 4. window motor 5. door handle 6. paint job. The car had numerous more problems. My Toyota celica 1992 did better. I wish I had kept it.

Staying in the family...
By rgrace

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

This car was my dad's for 9 years and then became mine. I put around 30,000 on it myself and it is now closing in on 190,000. I'm having the timing belt changed tomorrow along with the spark plugs and plug wires so I thought I'd check out what to expect in the car's future as far as repairs go and everyone's reviews are very encouraging. The car just keeps soldiering on year after year, it has completely convinced me to buy Toyota for my next vehicle...of course, if these reviews are any indication, I might not need a new one for quite a while.