Used 1996 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Love my car!
By Sold on Toyota

1996 Toyota Camry Collector V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1996 Camry in 1999 with 19,000 miles one it. It now has over 250,000 miles on it, runs like a champ and still has a very pretty exterior. I still get compliments on it! We have done basic maintenance on it and a couple minor repairs over the years, but it is our most reliable car by far and I take it on errands (less than 2 miles) and long road trips with never a worry. I will buy nothing but a Toyota ever again. This car is awesome - seriously.

Favorite Features

The reliability. Can't beat it - keeps on going when our other cars have died. Thought we'd keep as backup, but the primary vehicles couldn't cut it.

Suggested Improvements

My gas cap cover fell off and my leather seats cracked badly...but it is 14 years old. So, no biggie.

Great Vehicle!
By thinklingsbird

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this 13 months ago from a friend of mine for a mere $1,500. It had about 148K on it and I've put probably 15K on it since. Within the past year I've had to change a battery, replace a cooling fan, and that's about it. Nothing major. It starts up every time and runs great. I get roughly 30mpg on the highway and 20-something around town. It's not a beauty, but it's certainly a great car for its utility.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Can't get much better for what it is.

Never Own Another Toyota
By NoMoreToyotas

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in July of 2007 with 114k miles. The car made it to 148k miles. Once it reached that point, I pumped approximately $5,000.00 into it. I replaced the timing belt, water pump, fuel pump, new rotors (twice in the time I owned it), 3 new sets of tires, plugs, axles, and last but not least, the transmission. I have had to replace other things, but those were the big ones. The paint job is the worst I have ever seen and the door handles have a curious habit of snapping off. I don't drive like a kid, so I think operator error is minimal. The car just died yesterday and this time, it's anyone's guess what the problem is. If you are thinking of getting a Toyota Camry, FORGET IT

Favorite Features

Comfort.

Suggested Improvements

The entire car.

Best Car EVER
By R. Backer

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Without a doubt this Camry is the finest machine I've ever owned in more than 50 years of driving. It gets 33 miles per gallon on trips and has cost nothing beyond the routine, and even that has been minimal. Reliability is 100%. I put 104 thousand miles on it so far and will probably end up giving it to my grandson although I'll probably keep it 'til I die. Outstanding car period! (Not a speck of rust on it despite being outside for 13 years.)

Favorite Features

Reliability. And everything else. (I'm totally biased.)

Suggested Improvements

If only the front seats were a bit longer for the thighs--because of my height.

Don't BUY
By sammy aziz

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I got this car from my sister at 160k and it dies at 185k. It's a horrible car. I had to replace the following 1. timing belt and water pump 2. front left brake, rotor, caliper, axle 3. engine mounts (top and bottom) 4. window motor 5. door handle 6. paint job. The car had numerous more problems. My Toyota celica 1992 did better. I wish I had kept it.