1996 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews 5

1996 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
Good Bet
By Japanesecarlover on 10/04/05 04:47 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Bought the car with 114,000 miles on it and it runs better than all my friends' cars with fewer miles. The interior ergonomics are to notch and so is the comfort. I drove it from Denver to Portland Oregon and it was a joy the entire time. The four cylinder purrs at idle and gives a satifying note on hard accel. (The engine is a version of an old Celica engine.) In Oregon, the acceleration of the 4 cyl is good, but at high altitude, such as in Colorado, it is lacking. This is something to take in to consideration. I would suggest getting the silky-smooth V6. The economy of the V6 is comparable to the 4 cyl. Body roll is moderate. Suited more for a comfortable ride, not a sporty one.

Almost at 200,000 miles!
By Mike B on 09/07/05 16:47 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry DX 4dr Sedan

I got this car in 2001 when it had ~106k miles. So, I've driven it just about 90k miles in 5 years. The major items I've replaced are as follows: struts, clutch, motor mounts, starter, harmonic balancer pulley, main engine seal, oil pan gasket, valve cover seal, spark plug o-rings (grommets), CV joints. Currently, the check engine light is on because the catalytic converter needs to be replaced ($1,200 at the dealer) and the rack-and-pinion steering system needs to be replaced ($700 at dealer) Overall, though, this car has been great! With the mileage it has, the seals and clutch repairs are not unexpected. However, the car is definitely starting to feel like a high-mileage ride..

Camry Great NEW - SO SO Used
By JJ on 08/01/05 15:58 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought a 96 Camry brand new and sold it Aug 2005 with 45,000 miles. Never hit, paint/interior perfect. The resale value of $5,500 is great for a 9 year old car. However, the car had some repairs, the motormounts went, cracking the exhaust pipe, the flimsy door handle cracked off in the cold and the drivers seat belt stopped working. Now at 60,000 miles it will need a timing belt, tune up plus the 60,000 binding U joint camry defect and in a few years an expensive exhaust and strut issue. Camrys are great, but don't believe the hype, they break a lot less than a similar american car, but with the added price and expensive parts they are not a good used car choice.

Low maintanence cost and looks good
By Mike McCoy on 07/23/05 15:35 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Collector V6 4dr Sedan

This car has been the best I have ever owned. I would be hard pressed to buy another brand other than Toyota or Lexus. The build quality is outstanding and the car is still as tight as the day we drove it off the lot. This car has a lot of life left her. 9 years old and 90,000 miles and she is not even breathing hard.

SHE'S A HONEY
By ANN MANIUSZKO on 02/26/05 09:56 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from a family member (who had purchased it new) in June 2000 with 15,540 miles on it. It now has 50,583 miles on it and it is OUTSTANDING!!! This car has never given me a moments trouble; it gets about 21-22 mpg around town (not bad for a V6 that's almost 10 yrs. old). I have had NO mechanical problems other than normal wear and tear. I will sell this car later this year when I replace it with a HYBRID HIGHLANDER (can't wait). I've driven Toyota's exclusively since 1974 and would not even consider another brand! My daughter's PRIUS avgs. 50 mpg and I just love driving it ... way to go Toyota!

Love this car!
By sunrise on 11/10/04 17:41 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used almost 4 years ago and it has been a dream to own. Reliable, fun to drive, economical. I have not had to put a penny into this car, except for regular maintenance, tires, brakes, oil change, battery.I will own this car until it has 500,000 miles on it!

Amazing Car!
By norminator78 on 10/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

This is one of the best cars ever made, period. The engine is bulletproof, quite, and pretty responsive for being as economical as it is. I averaged 35 on the highway! It has the perfect amount of interior room, the way it is laid out is perfect, and it has a very roomy trunk. I was very surprised at how great the factory speakers sounded when I swapped out the original cassette player for an Aiwa CD player. I sold this car with just over 160,000 miles on it, and it still ran and drove just as well, if not better than most newer cars I have driven. I only sold it because I wanted stick. I wish I hadn't sold it!

Bullet Proof Car
By bechman74 on 10/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

We have owned this car since 1998. Bought it with 26K miles and now have 133K in Oct 2004. My wife put it into a ditch 9-11-01 by accident and dented the compressor and radiator...it has been to the shop for this accident ZERO times! I recently ran over a concrete barrier avoiding a crossing SUV...ZERO damage. The sound of the doors closing is still solid as the day we bought it. I had to replace the thermostat at 125K. We had the water pump go out at 40K and it was replaced under warranty. Brakes were replaced around 115K. Great vehicle that is used solely as a daily commuter for a round trip of 40 miles...and still gets ~29mpg!!!

Great Car
By gatech fan on 10/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry DX 4dr Sedan

Great car. Rides quitely. Very reliable. This is my wife's car and it has served us well

awesome
By petrie on 09/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

The car now has 151,000 miles on it and the thing runs like new. I've changed fluids and plugs and timing belt, the brakes went until 130,000 miles before I had to change them! I've also changed the shocks and that's it. The car looks like new in and out! It has never been to the dealer for anything besides the belt! I have driven the new (2004) camry and they are not even close to the build quality of the 96? The brakes suck and the 2004 had more wind noise and rattles than my 96? This was a 2004 car with 2,400 miles vs a 96 with 151,000! The highlander is my next purchase. I'm keeping my camry forever, it might last that long!!!!