Used 1996 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 103 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Extremely reliable car
By Maz

1996 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when it was 6 years old. It's now 14 years old and I have had no problem with it at all. It has been a very smooth, quiet and reliable car since the beginning. It does not lose any oil and even the paint finish is in good shape. I would have upgraded to a newer version had I not heard all the bad feedback about the build quality of the newer Camry models.

Reliability. Smooth and quiet drive. The looks. Almost everything about it is good.

Gas mileage! Well I know it is a V6, but I think it can be better.

Great reliable car with over 200K miles
By iluvdodgetrx

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car about 9 months and I bought it for $700. I did some normal and much needed routine maintenance on it and it has never let me down. I have almost 211,000 miles on it and I expect many more

reliable, comfortable ride, economical

Cupholders are too small

Do Not Hesitate - Best Car I've Owned
By Dan

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

My wife bought this car before we were married for $6000 w/ 50K miles on it from an older woman. It now has 140,000 miles. We have taken it on old forest service roads and through small streams, packed to the brim with camping gear and a canoe strapped on top. It is comfortable and reliable - I *never* worry about breaking down or repair costs with this car. In 90K miles we have done the regular maintenance and service: timing belt & water pump, spark plugs and wires, and oil changes. Other than that, we had to replace a seal on the final drive unit and both CV boots. Overall, $1500 worth of repairs and maintenance for 90K miles of hard driving. Simply the best car we have owned.

The car is versatile. The 4 cyl engine is bullet proof, and can still take us over the mountains with hundreds of pounds of gear and a full tank of gas.

While it hasn't happened to us, I have heard that the rear brake lights can have issues. The trunk is notorious for leaking small amounts of water into it, as well.

96 Camry LE
By Norm

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I'm giving this car all #8 evaluations because I just bought it today. Using Edmunds price guidelines I bought a 96 Camry LE with some exterior body damage, but 4 brand new tires, battery and recent service. Engine runs smooth, transmission shifts perfectly. It passed an emissions test with no problems. Interior in good condition. Everything works perfectly-power windows, tilt steering wheel, radio, power antenna, air conditioning, heater, etc 164,000 miles. I paid $950.

Can't get anything better
By Psynopsis

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

My parents purchased our Camry used in 1997 and it has endured years of use. It never has failed me. I came into ownership of it in early 2007 and I'll admit I have abused it yet this amazing car keeps going and going! It's gone through 6 ft of water, taken off road, even slid off a road a few times during a snow storm yet it still runs strong. Currently has over 242,000 miles on it and shows little signs of aging. Quiet, efficient, and forever reliable. If you want something that will last you forever, get a Camry. P.S. I don't abuse the car anymore. :]

Reliable, gas friendly, quiet, this thing is literally a gas friendly tank.

Cup holders to hold larger cups. Taillights are a pain in the rear to replace!