1996 Toyota Camry Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
96 Camry Collectors Edition Going Strong
By Carl on 03/17/08 11:30 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan Collector V6 4dr Sedan

This car is meant to keep going. I have now put over 255,000 miles on the car and it still runs very well. The car is very comfortable for the driver and for up to 4 passengers (both long and short trips). 188hp very peppy for a mid-sized car. The exterior looks are phenomenal, basically a Lexus in Camry clothes. Interior has held up very well for 12 year old leather. Even with today's fancier features (nav, heated mirrors, etc) I would buy this car again in a heart beat. Camry (Cam-Mou-ri = Crown in japanese) is the gem of the Toyota lineup. I am very pleased with the long life, high miles, and literally NO maintenance of this vehicle.

1996 toyota camry
By Tam on 12/07/07 07:10 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Start using 112K mileage, still running 135K w/satisfaction/better to change water pump+timing bult to cross 200K.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Big Jim CrimeBoss on 05/17/07 03:04 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

After my 93 Grand Am (which had 189,000 miles) was hit buy a drunk motorist, I bought a 96 Camry from my mother, with 130000 miles on it. And I feel spoiled in the Camry! Im sorry but my faithfulness to American cars ended very quickly once behind the wheel of the Toyota! This is one of the cars that could be driven over the bumpest roads without ever spilling a drop of your favorite coffee! The 11 year old V6 still competes very well on the road and can actually "peel out" reaching a top speed of 135 MPH!! The tire grip is outstanding despite the excess body lean (which I'm sure got addressed in newer Camrys). The car took some getting used to but I think it was well worth it!

My Camry
By Camry on 03/27/07 09:54 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have loved this car since I bought it. I was intending to drive it to 200,000 miles, but now I have been hit in a rearend collision and I will probably have to trade it in.

Toyota - I love it!
By Kim on 03/14/07 10:34 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

My car has been extremely reliable and very sporty, even at 137,000 miles.

Great beater or first car (96 camry LE)
By Jeff on 06/28/06 16:20 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

My dad got me this car when I was 17. It was truly a bargain at $3300. Even though it had 91000 miles, it still runs great. The only problem was that a window did not work. But that isn't too bad. The power isn't great with only 125hp but it uses high revs to maintain better acceleration. It is great with gas and also very reliable. A year ago, my dad brought a 04 camry. It is crazy how much it didn't change since my 96 camry. If you are looking for a cheap car, make sure you get one that lasts. And I believe the camry fits this description.

incredible
By kayli on 03/06/06 20:18 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Have had Corolla and Mazda GLC, and neither was as reliable as this car. In ten years I've replaced tires, brakes, batteries, a starter and the hydraulic drive things and that's it.

It was a dream car
By Jay Dee on 10/05/05 19:29 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

This has been a dream car. Very few problems so far (140,000 miles). Roomy enough for our family, 31 mpg, etc. etc.

Good Bet
By Japanesecarlover on 10/04/05 04:47 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Bought the car with 114,000 miles on it and it runs better than all my friends' cars with fewer miles. The interior ergonomics are to notch and so is the comfort. I drove it from Denver to Portland Oregon and it was a joy the entire time. The four cylinder purrs at idle and gives a satifying note on hard accel. (The engine is a version of an old Celica engine.) In Oregon, the acceleration of the 4 cyl is good, but at high altitude, such as in Colorado, it is lacking. This is something to take in to consideration. I would suggest getting the silky-smooth V6. The economy of the V6 is comparable to the 4 cyl. Body roll is moderate. Suited more for a comfortable ride, not a sporty one.

Almost at 200,000 miles!
By Mike B on 09/07/05 16:47 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I got this car in 2001 when it had ~106k miles. So, I've driven it just about 90k miles in 5 years. The major items I've replaced are as follows: struts, clutch, motor mounts, starter, harmonic balancer pulley, main engine seal, oil pan gasket, valve cover seal, spark plug o-rings (grommets), CV joints. Currently, the check engine light is on because the catalytic converter needs to be replaced ($1,200 at the dealer) and the rack-and-pinion steering system needs to be replaced ($700 at dealer) Overall, though, this car has been great! With the mileage it has, the seals and clutch repairs are not unexpected. However, the car is definitely starting to feel like a high-mileage ride..