1996 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:
Love my car!
By Sold on Toyota on 09/25/09 15:48 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry Collector V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1996 Camry in 1999 with 19,000 miles one it. It now has over 250,000 miles on it, runs like a champ and still has a very pretty exterior. I still get compliments on it! We have done basic maintenance on it and a couple minor repairs over the years, but it is our most reliable car by far and I take it on errands (less than 2 miles) and long road trips with never a worry. I will buy nothing but a Toyota ever again. This car is awesome - seriously.

Great Vehicle!
By thinklingsbird on 09/21/09 20:15 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this 13 months ago from a friend of mine for a mere $1,500. It had about 148K on it and I've put probably 15K on it since. Within the past year I've had to change a battery, replace a cooling fan, and that's about it. Nothing major. It starts up every time and runs great. I get roughly 30mpg on the highway and 20-something around town. It's not a beauty, but it's certainly a great car for its utility.

Never Own Another Toyota
By NoMoreToyotas on 08/13/09 08:45 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in July of 2007 with 114k miles. The car made it to 148k miles. Once it reached that point, I pumped approximately $5,000.00 into it. I replaced the timing belt, water pump, fuel pump, new rotors (twice in the time I owned it), 3 new sets of tires, plugs, axles, and last but not least, the transmission. I have had to replace other things, but those were the big ones. The paint job is the worst I have ever seen and the door handles have a curious habit of snapping off. I don't drive like a kid, so I think operator error is minimal. The car just died yesterday and this time, it's anyone's guess what the problem is. If you are thinking of getting a Toyota Camry, FORGET IT

Best Car EVER
By R. Backer on 07/25/09 10:19 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Without a doubt this Camry is the finest machine I've ever owned in more than 50 years of driving. It gets 33 miles per gallon on trips and has cost nothing beyond the routine, and even that has been minimal. Reliability is 100%. I put 104 thousand miles on it so far and will probably end up giving it to my grandson although I'll probably keep it 'til I die. Outstanding car period! (Not a speck of rust on it despite being outside for 13 years.)

Don't BUY
By sammy aziz on 07/19/09 05:11 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I got this car from my sister at 160k and it dies at 185k. It's a horrible car. I had to replace the following 1. timing belt and water pump 2. front left brake, rotor, caliper, axle 3. engine mounts (top and bottom) 4. window motor 5. door handle 6. paint job. The car had numerous more problems. My Toyota celica 1992 did better. I wish I had kept it.

Staying in the family...
By rgrace on 07/13/09 21:49 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

This car was my dad's for 9 years and then became mine. I put around 30,000 on it myself and it is now closing in on 190,000. I'm having the timing belt changed tomorrow along with the spark plugs and plug wires so I thought I'd check out what to expect in the car's future as far as repairs go and everyone's reviews are very encouraging. The car just keeps soldiering on year after year, it has completely convinced me to buy Toyota for my next vehicle...of course, if these reviews are any indication, I might not need a new one for quite a while.

Oh, what a feeling!
By Greg on 12/07/08 14:29 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Camry DX 4dr Sedan

This Toyota is rolling right along. I bought it with 19,000 miles as a lease turn in. I now have 203,000 miles on it and still a daily driver. NO major repairs. Just batteries, tires, water pump and timing belt. It's one thing to pay the upfront cost, but then the maintenance cost over the years is where this car shines.

Keeps on going
By scott on 07/23/08 19:15 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

We bought our 96 LE Sedan ( basic LE, no additional options ) in 1999 with about 34K on it. Still own it and drive it every day, one of the best cars I've ever owned. Had to replace an AC sensor a few years back and solenoid contacts last year, but other than that noting but oil changes and routine maintenance. Still gets 30mpg plus on the highway too. Boring to look at and drive, but very economical, reliable and an all around great car.

Still driving it after 12 years
By UPDATED REVIEW on 06/24/08 08:27 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

In May 1996 I bought this 4 cylinder Camry LE and added only the ABS as the only option. Now a little over 12 years later I am still driving her and she has been great. The original engine was replaced in June 2006 because some idiot decided to rev the engine past the red zone on the tachometer which resulted in it blowing up and shooting a piston through the oil pan but the guy owned up and paid to have a brand new engine from Japan installed and currently has 20,000 miles on it. The old engine did have a slight oil leak but now the new one will last at least 100K. Gas mileage is much better than my sister's 01 Accord V6 and even though the 4 is underpowered, I'll take the better gas any day

Gas Saver & Builded to Last
By Dujox on 06/17/08 15:59 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Camry DX 4dr Sedan

Got this car with 116,000 on it. Paid 2800.00.The same day the car overheated. Keep the car anyway. Changed the head block, radiator, water pump and most of the cooling system. Since it has been the Dream Car, seriously. Just regular serviced: change oil & filter. Great with gas and also very reliable. If you need a cheap car, make sure you get one that lasts. And I believe the Camry fits this description, without hypes.