Used 1996 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 103 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Great car sorry to see it go.
By pjz3

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

When I bought my 1996 Toyota camry just under two years ago I was looking for a car to get me from point A to point B, basic transportation until I could afford something better. After looking around I finally found my 1996 Camry with about 82,000 miles I paid a little more than I wanted to for the car but knowing how reliable they are and having read countless reviews of how dependable they are I bought it. I was impressed with the power of the 2.2L 4cyl. ,it's no speed demon but has no problem merging and keeping up or passing at highway speeds.
Very comfortable ride for it's age and no rattles even after 16 years on the road. I finally bought a new car and I'm sorry to see this one go.

Nothing really stands out about this car has all power options. It's reliablity and Toyotas comitment to building a quality car really shines through. I wouldn't hesitate to take this car across the country if need be.

Nothing I can see why so many people love there Toyotas, very reliable and easy to work on.

Love x 2
By jplum46

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I'm writing a review on two 1996 Camry's. The first I bought not knowing anything about Camry's introduced to them by a friend. I really only felt that I had a decent car really didn't think much about it until I paid it off. Then i realized that I still had a new car with no payments. I started paying more attention to maintenance (wasn't that on time at first) and drove this car for another 7 years. Really the car was still like new and I had personalized it with all the latest radio and alarm features that the new cars had. Then last year it was totaled and I was heartbroken. Well I got on the net and found another same color 100mi away with 193,000mi. Had it shipped and I am in heaven!!!

The best built car period. Can be brought back from the dead like my second one which had poor maintenance but a beautiful body. This car was given TLC and had old worn suspension parts replaced along with motor care. Arrived noisy and after 10k new miles is like new. Never would I attempt such a purchase for any car online without a test drive. Go Toyota! If you don't take care of these cars they are the most resilient but what a shame. Luxury - simplicity - reliability - security - fun Camry -My Car These late 90's cars are also the last ones that you might want to personalize with your favorite electronics as the new ones are all computer and dangerous to mess with.

The new Camry's are not as good as a well maintained 3rd Gen Camry. Maybe more safety features but when I realize that my totaled first Camry should have totaled me as well then more safety isn't a consideration. I wasn't even hurt in an accident that should have been tragic. I still prefer the simple styling as to the long nose lookalike sedans of today. There is no personality in today's' cars. I may acquire a fancier one in the future but the Camry will remain in the stable.

some problems; overall great car
By edmundsmikepla

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this 1996 3 years ago.
The problems I've had:
had to replace radiator- blew a hole in it, and got towed; replaced coolant temp. sensor gage- was reading faulty temperatures; replaced door handles, some inside and outside- were broken; some small vibration in the steering wheel, on and off.
Overall very good reliability, maybe not pretty.

Reliability under-hood. Good engine and transmission. AC still works. Good heating.

More power, but for 4 cyl, 1996, not bad.

Loved My Camry
By emilydfeist

1996 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

I loved my Camry! It was always reliable. I wrecked it this past saturday and i almost cried! I hit a deer but the car held up well! I had it for almost 3 years and the only problems it had was an oil leak..but it wasnt anything major..honestly i never fixed it because it never gave me any problems. I had to replace a few parts earlier this year but thats expected on a vehicle its age. Over all a wonderful car. Unfortunately the 2005 Toyota i was looking to buy has bad reveiws...maybe they should go to making it the way they used to.

Quality and Reliability? Think Again.
By robertoduh

1996 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this oh so reliable Camry in March 2010 with only 96k miles. I was thinking this car would at least run to 200k or maybe even 300k, but I found out it won't even make it to 130. I have 123 on the clock now, and in the time I had it, I poured over $6500 in repairs. A rebuilt transmission/engine, faulty airbag module, two broken window motors, and a new gas tank. The transmission went out at 100k, and the engine went out at 103k. Now with this "new" engine, it loves to stall at red lights. Not really helpful if I'm stuck on a grade in traffic. Also, the interior quality sucks. My door panels are all cracking and falling off because of weakened clips. Thats quality for ya!

Decent engine power (When it works), Seats are comfortable, and the cabin is very roomy. The car has many features as well.

Paint quality, Interior quality, and engine