Used 1996 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

some problems; overall great car
By edmundsmikepla

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this 1996 3 years ago. The problems I've had: had to replace radiator- blew a hole in it, and got towed; replaced coolant temp. sensor gage- was reading faulty temperatures; replaced door handles, some inside and outside- were broken; some small vibration in the steering wheel, on and off. Overall very good reliability, maybe not pretty.

Reliability under-hood. Good engine and transmission. AC still works. Good heating.

More power, but for 4 cyl, 1996, not bad.

Loved My Camry
By emilydfeist

1996 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

I loved my Camry! It was always reliable. I wrecked it this past saturday and i almost cried! I hit a deer but the car held up well! I had it for almost 3 years and the only problems it had was an oil leak..but it wasnt anything major..honestly i never fixed it because it never gave me any problems. I had to replace a few parts earlier this year but thats expected on a vehicle its age. Over all a wonderful car. Unfortunately the 2005 Toyota i was looking to buy has bad reveiws...maybe they should go to making it the way they used to.

Quality and Reliability? Think Again.
By robertoduh

1996 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this oh so reliable Camry in March 2010 with only 96k miles. I was thinking this car would at least run to 200k or maybe even 300k, but I found out it won't even make it to 130. I have 123 on the clock now, and in the time I had it, I poured over $6500 in repairs. A rebuilt transmission/engine, faulty airbag module, two broken window motors, and a new gas tank. The transmission went out at 100k, and the engine went out at 103k. Now with this "new" engine, it loves to stall at red lights. Not really helpful if I'm stuck on a grade in traffic. Also, the interior quality sucks. My door panels are all cracking and falling off because of weakened clips. Thats quality for ya!

Decent engine power (When it works), Seats are comfortable, and the cabin is very roomy. The car has many features as well.

Paint quality, Interior quality, and engine

Great car
By fishera

1996 Toyota Camry DX 4dr Sedan

Bought it in 2008 with around 180k miles and drove the heck out of it. I could always count on it to start and get me where I needed to go, and easily hit highway cruising speeds. It was a very smooth and quiet ride. Previous owner told me about the abuse he heaped on car, driving it off road and through standing water, but that didn't affect its performance for me. Clutch burned out at 210k, was the only major repair I had to make. Leaked oil, but that's not bad if you keep up on it. Eventually sold it to a coworker last spring, at around 220k miles. It's still going strong, and I expect it to continue so. Sometimes I regret selling it.

Reliability. Strong motor. Spacious back seat. Simple, good car. Doesn't need much maintenance to continue running at a high level.

Reading other posts, the oil leak seems to be a common problem with this model. It is annoying to have to add a quart every few weeks, the mess can be annoying too. However, it was always easy to find my parking spot at work!

226,000 miles salvaged still going
By 96camryman

1996 Toyota Camry LE V6 2dr Coupe

i am pretty bored of this car recieved it as a graduation gift pretty good though considering it get's beat every day i go 95 on the thruway and it holds up just starting to get problems but i don't care i put some 12 inch ma audio subs in it and a kenwood head unit everyone refers to it as my hoopdee it's salvaged and crazy fun on the thruway but the pickup sucks unless you floor it but it get's great gas mileage filled up took a trip to auburn from buffalo and then got back 232 miles only used 1/4 of a tank of gas awesome love it will be using it for a backup when i find another one trying to get it to 1 million miles that would be crazy good

needs to have more stuff in it more horsepower

• SUV