Used 1996 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Love this car!
By sunrise

1996 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used almost 4 years ago and it has been a dream to own. Reliable, fun to drive, economical. I have not had to put a penny into this car, except for regular maintenance, tires, brakes, oil change, battery.I will own this car until it has 500,000 miles on it!

Favorite Features

This collector's edition is just like the Lexus in paint and body style.

Suggested Improvements

None - just wish I could roll back the miles so I could enjoy it longer!

Amazing Car!
By norminator78

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

This is one of the best cars ever made, period. The engine is bulletproof, quite, and pretty responsive for being as economical as it is. I averaged 35 on the highway! It has the perfect amount of interior room, the way it is laid out is perfect, and it has a very roomy trunk. I was very surprised at how great the factory speakers sounded when I swapped out the original cassette player for an Aiwa CD player. I sold this car with just over 160,000 miles on it, and it still ran and drove just as well, if not better than most newer cars I have driven. I only sold it because I wanted stick. I wish I hadn't sold it!

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, interior, great stock speakers!

Suggested Improvements

Even on new Camrys the ride is a bit mushy for my taste, but it does make these cars ride very smoothly. Needs a stick shift available on cars that are decently equipped, not just the base models.

Bullet Proof Car
By bechman74

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

We have owned this car since 1998. Bought it with 26K miles and now have 133K in Oct 2004. My wife put it into a ditch 9-11-01 by accident and dented the compressor and radiator...it has been to the shop for this accident ZERO times! I recently ran over a concrete barrier avoiding a crossing SUV...ZERO damage. The sound of the doors closing is still solid as the day we bought it. I had to replace the thermostat at 125K. We had the water pump go out at 40K and it was replaced under warranty. Brakes were replaced around 115K. Great vehicle that is used solely as a daily commuter for a round trip of 40 miles...and still gets ~29mpg!!!

Favorite Features

Durability, reliability, lights automatically turn off, cant lock the doors with keys in ignition.

Suggested Improvements

hmmmmmmm...none yet.

Great Car
By gatech fan

1996 Toyota Camry DX 4dr Sedan

Great car. Rides quitely. Very reliable. This is my wife's car and it has served us well

Favorite Features

asdf

Suggested Improvements

asdf

awesome
By petrie

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

The car now has 151,000 miles on it and the thing runs like new. I've changed fluids and plugs and timing belt, the brakes went until 130,000 miles before I had to change them! I've also changed the shocks and that's it. The car looks like new in and out! It has never been to the dealer for anything besides the belt! I have driven the new (2004) camry and they are not even close to the build quality of the 96? The brakes suck and the 2004 had more wind noise and rattles than my 96? This was a 2004 car with 2,400 miles vs a 96 with 151,000! The highlander is my next purchase. I'm keeping my camry forever, it might last that long!!!!

Favorite Features

Body style and the dash, interior.

Suggested Improvements

larger cup holders