1996 Toyota Camry Consumer Review: Great car

1996 Toyota Camry - Consumer Review

Great car
By fishera on

1996 Toyota Camry DX 4dr Sedan

Bought it in 2008 with around 180k miles and drove the heck out of it. I could always count on it to start and get me where I needed to go, and easily hit highway cruising speeds. It was a very smooth and quiet ride. Previous owner told me about the abuse he heaped on car, driving it off road and through standing water, but that didn't affect its performance for me. Clutch burned out at 210k, was the only major repair I had to make. Leaked oil, but that's not bad if you keep up on it. Eventually sold it to a coworker last spring, at around 220k miles. It's still going strong, and I expect it to continue so. Sometimes I regret selling it.

Reliability. Strong motor. Spacious back seat. Simple, good car. Doesn't need much maintenance to continue running at a high level.

Reading other posts, the oil leak seems to be a common problem with this model. It is annoying to have to add a quart every few weeks, the mess can be annoying too. However, it was always easy to find my parking spot at work!